Microdiscectomy

Cgs1226

That’s why you don’t go out there and try to kill it…never will make 30 here..seen so many people get washed out because of injuries.

That’s why you don’t go out there and try to kill it…never will make 30 here..seen so many people get washed out because of injuries.
I'm not the guy who goes out one tries to kill it. I work at my own decent pace, and unfortunately got hurt. Definitely going to be more conscious when I go back.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'm not the guy who goes out one tries to kill it. I work at my own decent pace, and unfortunately got hurt. Definitely going to be more conscious when I go back.
Wasn’t pointing you out specifically…just a general comment. This job was never meant to be done at the pace that the company wants you to go.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

Wasn’t pointing you out specifically…just a general comment. This job was never meant to be done at the pace that the company wants you to go.

Seen it in the past, a member comes back after a disability and are immediately targeted with extra work or left alone in a trailer without any help. It is real sick how they treated injured employees, management included.

Woman were very easy targets, one of the reasons why most will never reach those retirement levels unlike their male counterparts. One of primary reasons that hourly went into management was they knew that they physically would not last 25 years doing their assigned Union duties.

Re-Raise

Anyone here had microdiscectomy and returned to work? How was recovery? How was returning back to work? Possibility it is in my near future.
I had one in 1996 on L5. I was back at work as a pkg car driver two months after surgery. Worker’s comp cut me a check for 40k to settle the claim a year later. I went to court in uniform with my pkg car full and waiting out front of the courthouse. We had already agreed on the math, so they did my case first

I retired in 2021 with 36 yrs combined part-time and full-time

You can definitely tweak it after the surgery, but if you take the stretching seriously and lift properly you can manage it. I still golf at least 3 times a week and run or walk two miles every day with no problems. KEEP THE WEIGHT off!

My best advice would be to ask the surgeon how many of the procedures he does. The first guy that wanted to cut me said he did 5 a year. The neurosurgeon that I went with did 10 a week! I went with the experience.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Cgs1226

I had one in 1996 on L5. I was back at work as a pkg car driver two months after surgery. Worker’s comp cut me a check for 40k to settle the claim a year later. I went to court in uniform with my pkg car full and waiting out front of the courthouse. We had already agreed on the math, so they did my case first

I retired in 2021 with 36 yrs combined part-time and full-time

You can definitely tweak it after the surgery, but if you take the stretching seriously and lift properly you can manage it. I still golf at least 3 times a week and run or walk two miles every day with no problems. KEEP THE WEIGHT off!

My best advice would be to ask the surgeon how many of the procedures he does. The first guy that wanted to cut me said he did 5 a year. The neurosurgeon that I went with did 10 a week! I went with the experience.

Good luck!
That's very good insight thank you! I'm glad it's worked out for you this long and happy retirement.

Had it done 13 years ago, after 3 years on the job. Had an aching pain inside my hip and aching in my hamstring. Seemed like I should be able to stretch it out but never could. I tried to work thru it for 2 months. I could barely walk at the end and could hardly sleep, only in very certain positions. Decided to go in. Because I couldn't name the exact date it started, it was "off the job"
I needed to skip all the red tape anyway, I couldn't stand it anymore.
After surgery was back to work within two months.
Knock on wood, but haven't had any problems with it. I do a lot of country routes though.

Cgs1226

Had it done 13 years ago, after 3 years on the job. Had an aching pain inside my hip and aching in my hamstring. Seemed like I should be able to stretch it out but never could. I tried to work thru it for 2 months. I could barely walk at the end and could hardly sleep, only in very certain positions. Decided to go in. Because I couldn't name the exact date it started, it was "off the job"
I needed to skip all the red tape anyway, I couldn't stand it anymore.
After surgery was back to work within two months.
Knock on wood, but haven't had any problems with it. I do a lot of country routes though.
Ya that's me with the stretching still, but very slowly getting better so 🤞 I'm glad it's been holding up for you!

PoirotAtUPS

I remember a senior part time member who retired years ago who showed up in the building every day limping in order to reach the required retirement benefit level. He did it for his last 5 years, each year his limp was getting worst, people were secretly laughing at him behind his back. Real Sad..

He eventually retired and you should have seen his face, it was practically glowing. He got his cake, his plaque in his crippled hands and quietly limped out of building on his last day, with the illusion that he won..

Hate to say it but me and a co worker just broke down with laughter watching him leave.
What the hell is wrong with you?!