Military ban

bbsam

Staff member
You want trained killers sharing foxholes with women and gays? In combat soldiers need to be focused on one thing, and anything that detracts from that focus can get them killed. You may scoff at that because you want your agenda advanced.
I scoff at that because I doubt any soldiers in a Fox hole are thinking about getting down with their fellow soldiers. That's kinda dumb.

vantexan

I scoff at that because I doubt any soldiers in a Fox hole are thinking about getting down with their fellow soldiers. That's kinda dumb.
They spend time waiting for things to happen. You should be concerned for the safety of gay soldiers. And with women it's not just about sexuality. It's about being able to meet the physical demands. Some can, many can't. Speaking of sex a fairly high percentage of women serving on ships get pregnant.

bbsam

Staff member
They spend time waiting for things to happen. You should be concerned for the safety of gay soldiers. And with women it's not just about sexuality. It's about being able to meet the physical demands. Some can, many can't. Speaking of sex a fairly high percentage of women serving on ships get pregnant.
I've known too many female athletes to believe this.

I've worked with too many female coworkers to believe this.

It will be fine

You want trained killers sharing foxholes with women and gays? In combat soldiers need to be focused on one thing, and anything that detracts from that focus can get them killed. You may scoff at that because you want your agenda advanced.
I've worked with thousands of people, it's rare that I ask them who they want to bone. Young people don't care, it's only a distraction for the olds.

Non sequitur

Lets see, kids are cut from ballclubs for chemistry issues not talent, and the one team we all need to be successful you want to experiment with!

vantexan

I've worked with thousands of people, it's rare that I ask them who they want to bone. Young people don't care, it's only a distraction for the olds.
Except now the military allows gays to serve openly. Everyone knows who they are. We always talk about America's finest but the military has prisons too. Have you met some of the young men who serve who come from backgrounds with really harsh or limited worldviews? If we get into combat with openly gay soldiers I expect the percentage of gays killed will be much higher than the general population and it won't all be coming from enemy fire.

bbsam

Staff member
Except now the military allows gays to serve openly. Everyone knows who they are. We always talk about America's finest but the military has prisons too. Have you met some of the young men who serve who come from backgrounds with really harsh or limited worldviews? If we get into combat with openly gay soldiers I expect the percentage of gays killed will be much higher than the general population and it won't all be coming from enemy fire.
Um...we've been at war for more than a decade and a half. Pretty sure there have been a lot of openly gay service members doing just fine.

vantexan

I've known too many female athletes to believe this.

I've worked with too many female coworkers to believe this.
You under the impression that all women enlisting are athletes? Or that all women delivery personnel are butch? I've known plenty of women couriers who could pull their weight. And plenty who try to get out of delivering heavy bulk. And no matter how athletic they are over the years I've seen a lot more women out injured than men. They are more susceptible to back and knee injuries. Not in any way to denigrate those who work hard but I've seen too many hurt. And it's why you don't see that many assigned to unload cans. They usually scan boxes or work the document sort.

bbsam

Staff member
You under the impression that all women enlisting are athletes? Or that all women delivery personnel are butch? I've known plenty of women couriers who could pull their weight. And plenty who try to get out of delivering heavy bulk. And no matter how athletic they are over the years I've seen a lot more women out injured than men. They are more susceptible to back and knee injuries. Not in any way to denigrate those who work hard but I've seen too many hurt. And it's why you don't see that many assigned to unload cans. They usually scan boxes or work the document sort.
I am saying that if someone is able and willing to do the job, let them do it. Full stop.

vantexan

Um...we've been at war for more than a decade and a half. Pretty sure there have been a lot of openly gay service members doing just fine.
When was it approved to allow openly gay soldiers? Not talking about "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Hasn't been that long has it? With the openness policy most likely there will be more gays enlisting. Let's see how that turns out.

bbsam

Staff member
When was it approved to allow openly gay soldiers? Not talking about "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Hasn't been that long has it? With the openness policy most likely there will be more gays enlisting. Let's see how that turns out.
Do you have the impression that LGBT soldiers are naturally inferior?

bbsam

Staff member
And if it hurts readiness because women can't march 10 miles with a 70 lb pack? Or get injured more doing so?
No. Gay, straight or anywhere in between, if they can't do it, get rid of them. That has nothing to deal with sexual identity though.

bbsam

Staff member
That's a red herring. Doesn't matter. What matters is the military can complete it's mission and anything that might detract from that mission should removed. Anything.
If a sergeant is distracted by a corporals choice of off duty clothing that he can't do his job professionally, then the sergeant needs to go.