millions of americans will be homeless today

refineryworker05

So everyone either got to work from home, were laid off and received enhanced unemployment that for most laid off employees equaled or bettered there pay when they were working (and Biden retroactively game them back their taxes they owed on it), or were forced to work more hours and therefore earned more money. On top of this we had 3 stimulus payments. At the same time every single company in the world is hiring at higher rates than in the past and you could basically sign up for a job regardless of your past work history but I am supposed to feel sorry for someone who didn't pay their rent. AOC on basically the first day told people to stop paying their rents. She is as responsible for this as as anyone.
What does feeling sorry for someone has to do with making good public policy? Seriously people have got to stop letting their small minded prejudices and ignorance dictate proper government policy to deal with society wide problems. Seriously, like oh I don't like these people or I don't feel sorry for them is not an understandable manner to decide public policy issues. It is irrational.

The Driver

I drive.
What does feeling sorry for someone has to do with making good public policy? Seriously people have got to stop letting their small minded prejudices and ignorance dictate proper government policy to deal with society wide problems. Seriously, like oh I don't like these people or I don't feel sorry for them is not an understandable manner to decide public policy issues. It is irrational.
I think you might be too intelligent for this forum. I’m serious.

rod

Retired 22 years
No its not. Joe Taxpayer has had it up to his friend'in eyeballs paying for lazy ass people to sit around doing NOTHING--------- except drugs

542thruNthru

Maybe now those who are capable of working will get off their lazy asses and get a job---but I doubt it. Every business in the USA is begging for help so I don't shed too many tears for the "homeless". Do like we did when I graduated high school. Get 3 or 4 of your buddies and rent an apartment. Rent split up 3 or 4 ways is very doable.
"Buddies" sure they were.

Gay

refineryworker05

I think you might be too intelligent for this forum. I’m serious.
I am not that smart. But thanks. I have never understood this impulse in people. In a nation of hundreds of millions of Americans, the idea that I as a person have to personally like every American that needs helps and feel they are deserving is just irrational to me. I don't even begin to understand how to solve society wide issues thinking like this. This mentally is why we don't invest in Americans anymore. Too many Americans believe that certain groups of Americans are underserving and cheaters and users. So we get government policy that is designed to prevent the "bad" people from getting help and as a result our programs get bloated over complicated and less effective than they could be, and we all lose out as Americans.

refineryworker05

No its not. Joe Taxpayer has had it up to his friend'in eyeballs paying for lazy ass people to sit around doing NOTHING--------- except drugs
What is this nonsense? What are you talking about? Who are you talking about? Are we talking about renters? All kinds of people do drugs, all kinds of people are lazy, what does that have to do with government policy? What good does it do have a bunch of homeless families? Don't you think a hugely increased homeless population is going to cost more money? lead to more drug use? Lead to more illnesses, lead to more children not going to school? Hell lead to more people giving up? I have no idea what your anger or these fictional people in your head have to do with anything.

Mr. Marshall

So you think public policy is that people shouldn't have to pay rent if they choose not to? The funny thing is because you think that you think you are a better person than me. Although I honestly hope you don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back because the world needs heroes like you. Do you care to rationalize my original thoughts on how virtually nobody should have or did have less income during covid and why they weren't paying rent? Don't forget that beyond basic income food stamps and other social programs were hugely increased.

refineryworker05

So you think public policy is that people shouldn't have to pay rent if they choose not to? The funny thing is because you think that you think you are a better person than me. Although I honestly hope you don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back because the world needs heroes like you. Do you care to rationalize my original thoughts on how virtually nobody should have or did have less income during covid and why they weren't paying rent? Don't forget that beyond basic income food stamps and other social programs were hugely increased.
What are you talking about? Your original thought is irrational because you believe no one had less income during covid economic downturn? Lol ok man.
In terms of why people don't pay rent.... I don't know how people can not know anything about the stuff they seem to care about.

Many have had claims denied and are trying to appeal. Others have been flagged for fraud, or had trouble submitting clarifying documents on buggy websites. Some haven’t heard anything at all.

For those who have been approved and are getting unemployment, the average wait time has been 6 or 7 weeks — well above the standard 2 to 3 weeks — even now, months into the pandemic.

The biggest delays have been in states that have historically been the most restrictive when it comes to unemployment benefits, like Florida, Georgia and North Carolina, and states that have had a particularly high volume of claims, like Kentucky, Washington and California, Stettner said, “but it’s really happening across the country.”

Just this week, California announced that it would stop accepting new unemployment applications for two weeks, until Oct. 5, to work on clearing a backlog of more than 1.5 million claims, many of which have been pending for months. Even with the pause, the state doesn’t expect to resolve all of those cases until January. And 10,000 new claims are coming in every day.

For many of those who have now gone months without a paycheck or unemployment, things are dire. This is a country where 40% of people don’t have enough in savings to cover an unexpected $250 expense, and 60% don’t have enough to cover a thousand dollar expense.

“You may have savings enough to get through a few weeks, you may be able to manage by relying on relatives for a few more weeks. But when it gets to 12 weeks and 16 weeks and 20 weeks and longer, that’s what we’ve been seeing, very few people have the resources to get beyond that,” said Anne Paxton, an attorney and policy director for the Unemployment Law Project. “It’s just this surge of despair that we’re seeing.”

Since the earliest days of the pandemic, there have been long lines at food banks. Enrollment in SNAP has surged. As the months have dragged on, Paxton has seen a growing number of people who are waiting for unemployment benefits become homeless. Others are on the verge.

refineryworker05

More examples

Millions of the newly jobless are going without benefits as the unemployment system buckles under the weight of new claims, according to our new national survey, conducted in mid-April.

For every 10 people who said they successfully filed for unemployment benefits during the previous four weeks:

• Three to four additional people tried to apply but could not get through the system to make a claim.
  • Two additional people did not try to apply because it was too difficult to do so.
These findings imply the official count of unemployment insurance claims likely drastically understates the extent of employment reductions and the need for economic relief during the coronavirus crisis. To quantify the undercount, we look at the 21.5 million workers who filed for unemployment benefits from March 22 to April 18. Our results suggest:

• An additional 7.8 to 12.2 million people could have filed for benefits had the process been easier.
  • After accounting for these workers—who applied but could not get through or did not try because of the difficult process—about half of potential UI applicants are actually receiving benefits.
When we extrapolate our survey findings to the full five weeks of UI claims since March 15, we estimate that an additional 8.9–13.9 million people could have filed for benefits had the process been easier.

refineryworker05

More reality

Some landlords are declining funds from the Emergency Rental Assistance program. Here's why​

Some landlords are declining the funds because of regulatory tape attached to them. Others hope to replace struggling tenants with more financially secure renters

One Houston-based nonprofit that helped facilitate COVID-19-related rental assistance said over 5,600 households that applied for assistance during 2020 had a landlords that would not accept it, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Likewise, the city of Los Angeles reported that almost 50 percent of renters who received assistance during 2020 rented from landlords who would not participate in the program.

refineryworker05

Some more reality

Through June, however, local governments had distributed just $3 billion of the nearly $47 billion in rental assistance that Congress made available, according to the Treasury Department. Cumbersome documentation requirements have kept many people from getting the money they need to avoid eviction.

refineryworker05

So to recap, you have all of this anger at imaginary lazy people getting over, but couldn't bother to do an ounce of reading about this thing you claim to care about. Millions were laid off, yet millions didn't get unemployment at all or were denied it for months because local governments were trying to make sure the bad people didn't get unemployment, so we made the program worse and it helped fewer people, a lot of landlords turned down rental assistance, and local governments because they are trying to keep the bad people from getting rental assistance haven't given out but a fraction of the money set aside. That's how you end up with millions who haven't paid rent and plus in order to get the rental forbearance renters have to show they lost income