MIP GUESS? Q3 Update?

jeepguy63

Since this is the partner’s forum- what are the guesses for the MIP update?

Outside of service, we should be at or above target on all of the elements.

My prediction: While wringing his hands, CFO will say a range of 80-100 - but it depends on peak season execution.

My prediction for peak season execution: Same as the last several years. Flood the system with over capacity volume at prices lower than other business would charge and in January wonder why we don’t make profit. MIP ends up being the slush fund that gets raided to plug Wall Street’s minimally acceptable profit range.
Based on the comments and guidance from the Q3 release, profits will go up 15% in Q4 vs last year. Question - how? Without the change in corporate tax rates, last Quarter was negative vs last year.

Amazing how Uber, Ticketmaster, and most other businesses understand pricing and capacity, but UPS continues to give away its capacity and service during peak.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

My prediction: While wringing his hands, CFO will say a range of 80-100 - but it depends on peak season execution.

My prediction for peak season execution: Same as the last several years. Flood the system with over capacity volume at prices lower than other business would charge and in January wonder why we don’t make profit. MIP ends up being the slush fund that gets raided to plug Wall Street’s minimally acceptable profit range.
Based on the comments and guidance from the Q3 release, profits will go up 15% in Q4 vs last year. Question - how? Without the change in corporate tax rates, last Quarter was negative vs last year.

Amazing how Uber, Ticketmaster, and most other businesses understand pricing and capacity, but UPS continues to give away its capacity and service during peak.

Outside of service, we should be at or above target on all of theelements.

So you’re really good at all the other BS
But the one that matters you’re not so good at

tino1

Lol UPS hasn’t figured it out yet the most important element is service. If you want to charge a premium for a sub par service customers are leaving. We think we can manage everything through cost reduction but now the sales force that used to deal with the customers are being cut. In addition a new directive just came down the bottom 15 or 20 % in sales performance May be let go with severance from what I understand their was a mandatory call with all the sales teams

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Lol UPS hasn’t figured it out yet the most important element is service. If you want to charge a premium for a sub par service customers are leaving. We think we can manage everything through cost reduction but now the sales force that used to deal with the customers are being cut. In addition a new directive just came down the bottom 15 or 20 % in sales performance May be let go with severance from what I understand their was a mandatory call with all the sales teams

Sounds like the fire has been lit

Produce or move on

I like it

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra

WRONG!! The most important element is YOUR PEOPLE; but these numbskulls will never figure that out! The idiots coming up are mindless followers that behave worse than the people they've replaced!

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
WRONG!! The most important element is YOUR PEOPLE; but these numbskulls will never figure that out! The idiots coming up are mindless followers that behave worse than the people they've replaced!

I agree. Toxic work environment topped with corporate happy talk. Management vs Hourly...Management vs Management. No longer a team or partnership. Us vs them at every level. You can trace all of this back to the day UPS went public.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

We’re doing more to protect the system and build capacity than we ever have...what the hell are you talking about?

brownIEman

In classic ups style, they are putting the heavy routes out there, where there is no room for the loaders to stack out. Brilliant!

It's peak. All the routes will be heavy, might as well get used to it.

Not for nothing but most buildings I saw you could actually get more room on an MDU than on a regular pen.

Last edited:

nedroc

Since we stopped buying papers, paper clips, staples, pens and Pizza, I believe the MIP is going to be fantastic. close to 60%. I could not imagine what it would be if we were still buying pizza and bagels. That woudl be horrific to witness. I wish the founders had put windows in the office, we could have shut down the electiricty. Imagine the savings the, and the MIP factor. SKy high...

brownIEman

What's your opinion now? Asking for a friend. Lol.

Sounds like the billions spent on new planes and updated hubs (not to mention the 8.2 plan) did not achieve the cost savings through efficiency they hoped for.

So now they are going to get the ROI from those billions by not buying office supplies.

Which is clearly a totally genius move!

/S
(I'm going leave the universal sarcasm tag here, but I'm hoping it's not really needed)

Popeye

I think you can 100% count on MIP getting hosed for the next few years. With the change to the vesting so the half that they keep pays out after 1 year instead of 5, they would have some big-ass payouts over the next few years. In case you haven't figured it out, big-ass payouts to anyone are not part of their plans. They will adjust current year MIP to offset the new vesting schedule. Remember where you heard it first. The only thing left to see is how Richard Peretz will spin it in his lame-ass MIP update videos.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Sounds like the billions spent on new planes and updated hubs (not to mention the 8.2 plan) did not achieve the cost savings through efficiency they hoped for.

So now they are going to get the ROI from those billions by not buying office supplies.

Which is clearly a totally genius move!

/S
(I'm going leave the universal sarcasm tag here, but I'm hoping it's not really needed)
No- it was helpful. Just can't see what it is.