misloads, exaggerated issue?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my center, they've taken to changing the route #'s to the drivers last name; if it's SMITH, the pal will read SMIT-1274, whatever.

Still have a crap-ton of misloads...doesn't help that they move the routes/loaders around all the time...

:knockedout:

Our PDS adds the bid driver's initials to the lane numbers (22DB-xxxx), which are also painted on the dock and are affixed in 3 different places on the rear of the pkg car.

Macbrother

(I still don't understand why we keep many areas as 26B,26D ... the numbers do begin to look alike when you're loading 1200 pieces in just over 4 hours.)
That is pretty absurd. Here each truck has its own number (23, 24, 25) or an abbreviation of the driver's name. (Tuck, Jone, ron)

kevingcp

Ours has drivers last name and truck number.
Left side of the belt is letters AA1, AA2, AA3....BB1,BB2,BB3....
Right side of the belt is numbers 401,402,403...404,405,406 etc etc.
And yet some idiots have the propensity to get 10 misloads a day.
It's beyond me.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
propensity |prəˈpensətē|noun ( pl. -ties)an inclination or natural tendency to behave in a particular way

Sounds good to me. Hence,​ no problem.

konsole

Hey konsole...allow me to elaborate. I work in NY. I load the same four cars everday. 3 of them are 1000's....average around 280-325 packages (120-140 stops) a day...the 4th is a 1200 which averages 150-160 stops and about 380 to 425 packages daily. So my total # of packages i get to play with is around 1300 depending on the day. This does not include the numerous times a day i have to help the loaders next to me load their trucks lol. I average about 2 misloads a week. Today i worked 4am-915am.

1300 packages in 5.25 hours is 248 packages per hour. My shift is over in about 4.25 hours and to equal your packages per hour I would have to load 1045 packages, but normally I do 750-900, sometimes as high as 950 in that amount of time but thats rare. If I'm feeling really good on a particular day I can manage to keep clean about 200 packages per hour on 3 trucks, and I'm by no means slow and out of shape. People that are doing well above 200 packages per hour seem to be leaving out information about their pull that makes the pull easier or they are frequently a mess and or frequently need help. I just can't see how 250 packages per hour while keeping it under control by yourself is possible.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Konsole.....I could not have been more specific regarding my assignment except i left out the towns i load...i gave you truck sizes and numbers of stops. Our minimum acceptable PPH is 240 an hour or 4 boxes a min in our hub...granted some are faster than others but that's the number management wants...actually now it might be 250. Just because you feel you couldn't do it doesn't mean it doesn't get done cause i do it everyday, and so do a lot of guys. I don't get help because i don't let anyone else touch my trucks. This keeps my misloads to a bare minimum. And if it makes you feel any better...i'm not a even a guy lol.

Macbrother

Konsole.....I could not have been more specific regarding my assignment except i left out the towns i load...i gave you truck sizes and numbers of stops. Our minimum acceptable PPH is 240 an hour or 4 boxes a min in our hub...granted some are faster than others but that's the number management wants...actually now it might be 250. Just because you feel you couldn't do it doesn't mean it doesn't get done cause i do it everyday, and so do a lot of guys. I don't get help because i don't let anyone else touch my trucks. This keeps my misloads to a bare minimum. And if it makes you feel any better...i'm not a even a guy lol.
Do you retrieve boxes from a box-line system or conveyor belt? Do you have any additional duties such as sorting the belt, removing blanks, or operating a slide? Some preload shifts are also much shorter than 5 hours. There are many reasons why 800 for 3 cars might be a little, or a lot.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We are in our busy summer peak time...we have two peaks...summer and xmas which is why our shifts are five hrs now...they are usually shorter in off peak. There are 9 lines with 25 cars to a line. The packages for my line (25 cars) are sorted to a belt. There are six guys on my line...each loads four cars except for the sixth guy, he has 5 cars. The sorter sorts the pkgs at the top belt and sends them down the appropriate belt to the correct slide. I sort my packages for my four cars at my slide and load into correct cars.

konsole

So it sounds like you have a box-line system like Macbrother said. I don't fully understand how that system works, but the system in our building is I guess what would be called a conveyor system. Theres about 10 or so trailers being unloaded on one end of the building, 1 unloader per trailer. The packages travel out of the trailer on a short conveyor (extendo), and a SPA person scans and put a PAS label on each package. The packages then travel to the "sort aisle" where about a dozen or so people look at each PAL label and move the package to 1 of 4 belts. Each of those 4 belts then travels to a "pick-off" where 1 or 2 people then look at each PAL label and move each package to the appropriate final conveyor belt. The final conveyors consist of a "splitter" at the beginning that pushes packages to the front/middle/back of the belt depending on who the package is going to. Each of these final conveyors has anywhere from 3 to 5 preloaders that look at each PAL label as it comes down the conveyor and loads it onto 1 of 3 trucks (most have 3). Each delivery truck has on average around 250-300 packages and everybody loads that in about 4.25 hours. There is no way that preloaders in our building are expected to load 1,062 packages in that 4.25 hours.

So I don't know how the box-line system works but that seems like the reason why people in your building are expected to load 250 pph. Its important we understand the difference between the 2 systems before we can understand how people in one system can do so much more.