Misplaced My Paycheck

Southwestern

Companies don't like paper in general and they like to eliminate human interaction whenever possible...UPS in particular hates paper I think. They only gave us one way to apply. UPSjobs.com. If you can't use a computer, you can't even apply.

Nearly all companies have streamlined the application process, utilizing electronic mediums because it's cost-efficient and more accurate. I'm a good example: whoever processed my paper application misspelled my name. It was a simple inverse of two letters, but it took YEARS (and much time & effort) to correct. UPS bills itself as paperless but many facilities don't follow the practice. For example, my facility prints out a forecast for EVERY package car (we have several hundred -- large building with three centers under one roof) each morning. Single-sided, most preloaders don't care and it winds up in blue recycle bins which are conveniently deposited into the dumpsters outside (the trash makes multiple visits every day).

I have a basic bank account. If I use the teller for anything that could have been done with ATM, my bank charges a fee.

You're a smart guy, why do you accept such poor service? I guarantee you there's a credit union local to you that offers free, full-service traditional checking accounts with higher deposit rates (which isn't saying much these days), lower borrowing rates and lower fees (e.g. $0 overdraft activation vs. $36 at most large banks). Plus, most credit unions participate in the CO-OP network which provides you with a nationwide ATM network (including deposits) much larger than any bank (including BoA, etc.) Many offer perks specific to young members (such as higher discounts, cash back on their first loan-car, private student, etc.). Additionally, there's plenty of very large regional banks still offering free, traditional checking accounts.

NI3

why do you accept such poor service?
They don't charge fees for using the teller for something you can NOT do at the ATM. They only charge if you do routine tasks you can do at the ATM. It's only a doorway account.

I have an internet bank account with no branch locations. They offer outstanding selection of free ATM through Allpoints network. I get free ATM access in these major locations and surprisingly in a lot of local pubs. That bank requires me to have a traditional bank account, so that's why I have that doorway account.

• 7-Eleven
  • CVS/Pharmacy
  • Costco Wholesale

• Kroger
  • Target
  • Walgreens

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes, its part of the requirement to go to the dark side. I've spoken with a few soups, and they wished they still got a check worth something.

I just enjoy knowing the fact I'm one of the few at my HUB that still gets a worthy check in hand. Its like they have to say thanks to me with a check.

That's nice! Bless your heart!

Southwestern

They don't charge fees for using the teller for something you can NOT do at the ATM. They only charge if you do routine tasks you can do at the ATM. It's only a doorway account.

I have an internet bank account with no branch locations. They offer outstanding selection of free ATM through Allpoints network. I get free ATM access in these major locations and surprisingly in a lot of local pubs. That bank requires me to have a traditional bank account, so that's why I have that doorway account.

You should consider the benefits of relationship banking. Internet banks are great for savers but are (generally) lousy for borrowing. Whereas mega banks and faceless Internet banks solely consider one's FICO score in making loan decisions, smaller (and medium-sized) banks consider the borrower's total relationship; regular interaction with branch employees helps. Physical branches aren't going anywhere anytime soon -- even mega banks like Chase are actively building out a larger footprint. And while you may not have the need to borrow for awhile, the day you will need to do so will be here faster than you think.

Allpoint is a good network, but it has its limitations. The CO-OP network is much larger and you can also do business with a teller. As banks embrace image-scanning ATMs -- which are often flawed, including misinterpreting-or not being able to read-amounts indicated -- I'd avoid those that haggle me when I need to see a teller. (And for the record, I'm cashless and make at most 4-6 trips to the bank each year.)

tfinnegan

happy exupser
Well every company I have worked for doesn't pay on Monday morning. You get paid at the end of the week...and by the way check your contract! I think it says employees must be paid by noon on FRIDAY! Nothing about thursday is mentioned.

Southwestern

Just curious, why does one go to a bank these days?

I cannot recall going to a "brick and mortar" bank but maybe 1 o 2 times in the last ten years.

I didn't make a single trip for years but then...

-special currency needs (we take two all-inclusive trips per year; I need a stack of $1 bills for tipping!)
-deposit of paper checks (I occasionally receive them) -- most ATMs are now imaging ATMs, which I avoid after a few negative experiences (recording inaccurate check amounts; too much hassle & phone calls to fix); once I have access to remote deposit, this will become null
-loan discussion (I'd rather do it in person)
-investment portfolio review (solid returns here)
-buy savings bonds for Christmas
-selling of foreign currency

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I didn't make a single trip for years but then...

1-special currency needs (we take two all-inclusive trips per year; I need a stack of $1 bills for tipping!)
2-deposit of paper checks (I occasionally receive them) -- most ATMs are now imaging ATMs, which I avoid after a few negative experiences (recording inaccurate check amounts; too much hassle & phone calls to fix); once I have access to remote deposit, this will become null
3-loan discussion (I'd rather do it in person)
4-investment portfolio review (solid returns here)
5-buy savings bonds for Christmas
6-selling of foreign currency

Thanks for the insight.

1- I don't go to strip clubs ... anymore
2- I have not had any problems - I'll keep that in mind and look for them
3- Did one in 2003 but via UPS NDA Letter
4- My adviser meets me for breakfast a couple times a year
5- Can't do that anymore - Individual - Savings Bonds As Gifts
6- Have not been out of country since 1997

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
...and I bet when you go to the grocery store you wait until after your order has been rang up, then whip out the ole check book and spend the next five minutes filling out your check -- that has your name, address, SSN, driver's license, bank account and routing number prominately printed on it -- while telling the cashier 'I saw on the news that credit cards are unsafe to use.' I bet it kills you that checks are no longer returned (or even collected at some retail outlets). :)

I once read a case study about American Greetings: the company saved millions by converting its remaining employees (less than 10%) to direct deposit + eliminating paper stubs. Consider the savings for UPS, which is 10x the size of American Greetings. A quick, easy and PAINLESS solution in keeping our company strong & competitive while maintaining our wage & benefits for (at least) another contract. My sole gripe is that UPS's online paystub portal is a late 1990s/early 2000s version of PeopleSoft. If it'd updated to the newer version (visually more appealing + custom sorting options available), maybe it'd be more popular.

If any FedEx employees are reading this, do you receive a paper option?

I have checks, but I hardly use them. I only use them if the need calls for it. As if for a stright person to person compensation is needed. I have a debit card which I use for most things. But I love cash, I'm thinking for taking out a 50 to 100 dollars each week just to stock up on it. Credit is a stright up assh****, so I stay away from it as much as I can.

Listen, I tried to give my info into HR for direct... but they failed at it twice. I gave away my personal account numbers twice and never did direct go threw. So, I decided that I'll just take my check to the bank and do it old fashion. Its on the way home and I can pick up a few brews along the way too. Works out beautifully.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can sign up for direct deposit yourself on upsers.com

You may not like credit but you will need to establish credit if you ever plan on making a major purchase, such as buying a house.

I also write very few checks--I pay all of my bills online.

kingOFchester

All I know, My Pay is in my account before my coworkers who get paper checks.......Minus:
FICA
FICA medicare
Federal Tax
State Tax
SUT employment Deduction
Local tax 1
local tax 2
Child support
Child support attach FEE (ups charge)
aftax flex??
union due's

Leaves me enough for a couple of burgers and a small fry.

NYdriver

I bank with Citibank. UPS has a relationship with them, and they offer UPS employees free checking and a few other perks. I myself have not been to the bank in a while as well. Direct deposit, automatic bill pay through citibank online banking...everything I do is 100% paperless. When I get statements for various accounts, they come via email and I save the pdf files on my computer in different pre-made folders. Much more organized and a hell of a lot easier to pull up and look at when I need to. No more mis-placed statement, bills, etc.

Last edited:

Kae3106

Ok, let me clear up how this works. Payroll is not done on Sunday nights. The time cards are loaded to the payroll department on Mondays. Over the course of Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, the payroll department processes any Time and Labor adjustments and various reports to ensure that you are paid correctly. There is a lot of manual intervention required with UPS' payroll. All payroll data is finalized by mid-afternoon on Wednesday so that the paychecks can be printed and sent out that night. The direct deposit info is sent to our clearing bank so they can start pushing the money out to the various banks employees use.

It is UPS' money until the actual check date...generally Friday though a few areas have a Thursday check date. There is nothing wrong with keeping the money in the company's bank account and drawing interest until the actual pay date. They have no obligation to give it to you early which is why your bank can see it coming in but it isn't available in your account until the actual pay day. There is no ethical issue here.

Kae3106

WHEN I WAS PT I LOST A CHECK FORGOT about it a year later got a letter from corparate asking if i wanted a new check issued i responded yes found money

If you don't cash a check, it goes stale after 6 months and doesn't clear out of the payroll bank accounts. Companies aren't allowed to keep this money in their accounts indefinitely so we will send you a couple of letters asking if you want a replacement check. If the company is unable to contact you, they must turn the funds over to your state as unclaimed funds. This is why you see those commercials on tv saying that states have millions of dollars of unclaimed funds and you should check their registry.

chriscx324

I can't find how to change my pay stub to paperless with Direct deposit, how do you change it? On the site for ups jobs there is no link that I see that says my life or career home..help..please

Kae3106

I can't find how to change my pay stub to paperless with Direct deposit, how do you change it? On the site for ups jobs there is no link that I see that says my life or career home..help..please

Log in to UPSers.com. Click on My Life and Career. On the left side bar, click on Direct Deposit Account. It will open another window. In the new window, click on Pay Advice Print Option. Select Do not send a paper copy of direct deposit pay statement to my home address.