Monday

PT Car Washer

Our preload is starting at 3:45 Monday and 4:00 the rest of the week. 25 years ago that would be a normal summer start time. Drivers starting about 8:30 Monday. Who believes the preload will be wrapped up by then? Think I will sit this peak out this year.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Our preload is starting at 3:45 Monday and 4:00 the rest of the week. 25 years ago that would be a normal summer start time. Drivers starting about 8:30 Monday. Who believes the preload will be wrapped up by then? Think I will sit this peak out this year.
Preload start time on Monday (last monday was 1:45) is midnight.

PT Car Washer

Our preload has a hub sort to work around. Can't run both at the same time. At least not the whole preload. Just the boxline and boxline slide. Even then midnight will only give us a couple doors to unload out of.

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
I work Twilight, and we are starting 1 hour earlier. And, we are short-staffed as always. But this year, our HUB really is short. Out of 4 new hires three weeks ago in my area, Zero (0) zip nada are left. They all quit.

Can you imagine if Amazon had not gone with the USPS? We'd be buried x 10.

Oh well, job security I suppose. Gentlemen, start your engines. D-Day is almost here.

RockinRobin

From the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, etc. etc. I know it's not everywhere, and I know it's based on a lot of Sunday Delivery, but it will take heat off of our Parcels.

Where do you get YOUR information?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

From the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, etc. etc. I know it's not everywhere, and I know it's based on a lot of Sunday Delivery, but it will take heat off of our Parcels.

From the fact that at least 1/3 of my residential packages are Amazon.

What you read about will have a negligible effect on our Amazon volume. The Sunday service will be in two markets (LA and NYC), will be free for Prime members (with the standard shipping charge for all others) and will not make a dent in our Peak volume.

Nimnim

The Nim

The Sunday delivery is a test market, Amazon still ships with UPS, and it's unlikely they'll stop unless they start doing delivery in house. If you said "can you imagine if Amazon hadn't chosen USPS for the test market of Sunday delivery", there'd be less ambiguity with the post. Even with the few locations that will be doing it it's going to be less than 5% at most of a locations volume diverted for Sunday delivery since they'll only be doing service on Amazon packages slated for Sunday delivery even though there may be other packages for the same address that aren't signed up for that service going through either UPS or FedEx.

MassWineGuy

I bet you start working next week. And everyday until Christmas.

That's what I'm thinking. But it sometimes seems like a distant dream (nightmare?) that I ever attended that one week training and drove at all. It just seems to me that it would have been a good idea to get me out on the road a little before the peak hits the fan, so to speak. Now, I'll feel like I'm almost starting from scratch. And there are procedures that I still haven't learned, such as how to accept and log in packages that customers give me while I'm on my route. My thinking is this: They know what I've done and what I haven't done, so I hope my supe doesn't get too bent when I keep phoning him with questions.

I am often dumbfounded that UPS is such a successful, money-making corporation.

RockinRobin

What you read about will have a negligible effect on our Amazon volume. The Sunday service will be in two markets (LA and NYC), will be free for Prime members (with the standard shipping charge for all others) and will not make a dent in our Peak volume.

Well, let's hope you are right. I understand that in a macro sense, your package car is your benchmark, but Amazon is consistently a market maker, not a market follower. I have read the specifics of their long term plans, and they include more infiltration into all major market areas of the U.S. and a much tighter, broader, and strategic alliance with the USPS. If you would have told most brick and mortar retailers 15 years ago that Amazon would be the pillar of U.S. retail marketing that they are, they would have laughed at you. No one is laughing now.

Therefore, although your package car today may be indicative of Amazon shipments in your area, things change rapidly when an online shipping giant like Amazon strategically allies with someone, albeit a small dent, as you say, at present.

Time will tell. One thing is for certain, with Amazon, you cannot hedge with certainty. Amazon's Bezos bought "The Washington Post" for crying out loud. Anything is possible. I'd not speculate on anything that company would facilitate, simply because they are almost intangible with regard to their marketing prowess.

No matter. There is plenty of work for Brown left, even if Amazon were to migrate totally to USPS over the next five years. Time will tell.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Amazon "prime" is blowing out surepost the past two weeks....

MassWineGuy

Is there anyone here who doesn't handle a ton of Amazon packages? I certainly have each holiday season I've worked. I think the Postal Service made a bold and positive strategic decision to deliver on Sunday for Amazon. Just shows that there's a first time for everything.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Is there anyone here who doesn't handle a ton of Amazon packages? I certainly have each holiday season I've worked. I think the Postal Service made a bold and positive strategic decision to deliver on Sunday for Amazon. Just shows that there's a first time for everything.
Lol you're the expert....

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Yes, how is that going to affect NY peak volume outside of NYC?

RockinRobin

I would watch this closely. It's a big buzz in the industry.
Unless the deal falls flat for whatever reason, Amazon is poised to strategically ally with the USPS tighter and tighter over the next two years. Almost certainly, they will absorb more and more volume. Unless, as I said, something goes seriously wrong with the alliance.

I would not put it past Bezos to purchase his own package shipping company at some point. I know it sounds laughable now, but so did him buying a major newspaper 10 years ago. Anything is possible.

I'm glad I bought a boatload of Amazon stock years ago. It's been a fun ride!

Im sure the post office is going to make a killing(NOT) Getting pennies from Amazon and paying out over time or double time foor Sundays!