More stupid things customers say

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Last Friday night I treated myself to dinner at a local Chinese restaurant. I was still in uniform which knew may be an issue but I just didn't feel like going to home to change and then going back out. No sooner did I sit down with my first plate (it was a buffet) and the lady sitting in the next table blurts out "So, are you ready for the busy season?" I tried to ignore her but when she said it again I asked her where she works. She asked why and I said I wanted to go there and ask her silly questions while she was trying to eat.
just curious....what did she say after you said that?

Ms.PacMan

I don't know if this was a customer but someone called the police and said my truck had been parked in the same spot with it's flashers on and the doors open for 4 days!

Lunch - same spot everyday!

The center calls me and tells me to go to truck because there are officers there. My truck was surrounded by squad cars! They were so relieved to see me. I don't know what was more idiotic - the woman that called the cops or the cops who actually thought an abandoned UPS truck would go unnoticed by UPS for 4 days! :confused:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't know if this was a customer but someone called the police and said my truck had been parked in the same spot with it's flashers on and the doors open for 4 days!

Lunch - same spot everyday!

The center calls me and tells me to go to truck because there are officers there. My truck was surrounded by squad cars! They were so relieved to see me. I don't know what was more idiotic - the woman that called the cops or the cops who actually thought an abandoned UPS truck would go unnoticed by UPS for 4 days! :confused:

Thieves are becoming much more clever these days------some will use panel vans with fake commercial decals on the side to case the neighborhood. Most folks see the decals and dismiss it as a contractor working in the area.

Years ago we had a driver who used to park at the same road side pull-off to do his PM turn in. This is back when we accepted cash for COD's. He had the same routine day after day and, despite constant urging from both mgt and drivers, he refused to alter it. Thankfully nothing ever happened but it would not have been very hard for a potential thief to notice the routine and rob the driver.

I agree that the lady overreacted but it is best to be safe than sorry.

Do you really keep your flashers on throughout your entire lunch? Are you parked on the street or in a parking lot? Perhaps you may want to park somewhere else.

gingerkat

Last Friday night I treated myself to dinner at a local Chinese restaurant. I was still in uniform which knew may be an issue but I just didn't feel like going to home to change and then going back out. No sooner did I sit down with my first plate (it was a buffet) and the lady sitting in the next table blurts out "So, are you ready for the busy season?" I tried to ignore her but when she said it again I asked her where she works. She asked why and I said I wanted to go there and ask her silly questions while she was trying to eat.
Really Dave? If you don't want people to ask you questions about work, don't wear your unitard out. From an outsider looking in, it's as if you were looking for some celebrity spotlight. You know from years of doing this, people just ask stupid, stupid and more stupid questions.

Most servers make small talk to try and make customers feel comfortable because they want a better tip. She probably just thought that was the appropriate kind of questions/talk to do. Something tells me that if she had dropped your food at your table and said zip, you would have complained that she was rude for saying nothing. And now you made the list of "jerks" that she will be talking about with her coworkers. Nice job of kicking sand in someone's face for just trying to be friendly. Maybe when you're feeling crabby, you should order in?

Honestly, I don't get you sir.

moreluck

golden ticket member
So you presented UPS to the public as a crotchety old man.......good job!
If you are all she sees of UPS, you ARE the company to her. Now she's telling her friends....UPS sucks !!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
not real clever with stupid answers, and orders. "be careful with that pkg" yea, like its the only 52 inch big screen I ever delivered. yes you are so blessed, to have a big screen. Everyone has one, you are late.

JL 0513

How about customers who were expecting more packages than you have and they ask about them. Like we know. This happens to me all the time. I always just say, "well, maybe tomorrow?" As if our DIAD's have the info for all shipments that that customer you're standing in front of has in transit. Well, for a $6800 device, maybe the DIAD should have that magic ability. LOL.

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
My favorite (And I am probably quoting verbatim)

"Can you tell me if I ship something tomorrow, will it get to where it is supposed to get to on time, or should I ship it today?"

How do you answer that?

"Um... yes maam. Well, it depends on the Humidity."

Sheesh!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How about customers who were expecting more packages than you have and they ask about them. Like we know. This happens to me all the time. I always just say, "well, maybe tomorrow?" As if our DIAD's have the info for all shipments that that customer you're standing in front of has in transit. Well, for a $6800 device, maybe the DIAD should have that magic ability. LOL.

You may be surprised how many of our customers track their packages and are anxiously awaiting delivery.

gingerkat

You may be surprised how many of our customers track their packages and are anxiously awaiting delivery.
I'll agree with D on this one. I usually track my packages and system will often say that the packages on the truck for delivery. When the driver only delivers one, I often wonder what happened. Now that I've worked with UPS, I know it could be hidden or a misload.

upschuck

800 number tells them whatever the consignee wants to hear. They need some training, in policies and methods, and what the different scans are. Been told by several people the 800 number told them.........., and that is just not going to happen.