More UpClose RLA Video Lies from FedEx

vantexan

As for underpaid......I guess being the 2nd highest paid in the industry isn't good enough?

You are forgetting the Post Office. That makes us 3rd in a 3 horse race. There are no longer any other serious competitors.

I don't agree with everything MrFedEx says and I'm pretty sure he doesn't trust me since I'm not 100% pro-union. I see alot of problems ahead if this legislation passes and that's not what the union-at-all-costs folk want to hear. But I think he's 100% right that we aren't paid fairly. Unlike them I'm willing to compromise. I'm hoping that the company will make a reasonable offer that'll greatly improve our pay in hopes of keeping a union out. If I bump up $5hr I'll gladly take it. If they make an offer to topped out couriers only and leave mid-range people behind again then I'll gladly vote for a union if it comes to that. We need to top out after a reasonable amount of time. Tired of getting crapped on.

Broke

You are forgetting the Post Office. That makes us 3rd in a 3 horse race. There are no longer any other serious competitors.

I don't agree with everything MrFedEx says and I'm pretty sure he doesn't trust me since I'm not 100% pro-union. I see alot of problems ahead if this legislation passes and that's not what the union-at-all-costs folk want to hear. But I think he's 100% right that we aren't paid fairly. Unlike them I'm willing to compromise. I'm hoping that the company will make a reasonable offer that'll greatly improve our pay in hopes of keeping a union out. If I bump up $5hr I'll gladly take it. If they make an offer to topped out couriers only and leave mid-range people behind again then I'll gladly vote for a union if it comes to that. We need to top out after a reasonable amount of time. Tired of getting crapped on.
I don't understand your logic about willing to compromise. The company has told us alot of b.s. over the years and I for one will never believe anything else they promise me unless I get it in writing. I was told by the recruiter in my area before I was hired that all couriers top out in 4 years. Now when I ask my senior manager, I'm told that he never said that and if I don't like the way Fedex does things then I can leave.Your obviously a smarter person than I am, but why would you do something so stupid as to compromise with people like this. What if they do give you something better for a short while? Who's going to make sure it's not taken away before you retire?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'll grant you that Memphis has some great food, but after you've seen Graceland, the Peabody Hotel, Beale Street and Mud Island, what's left? I know it's a regional hub for Northwest/Delta. 3 weeks there for training was more than enough, and numerous shorter visits over the years have done nothing to make me feel differently.

I don't know if you remember this from the news awhile back, but a major vendor tweeted about what a crap town Memphis was while on his flight there and it got intercepted by FedEx. Needless to say, they weren't very happy. The first time I ever went there I saw 5 stripped cars up on blocks on the way to the hotel. Never a good sign.

vantexan

I don't understand your logic about willing to compromise. The company has told us alot of b.s. over the years and I for one will never believe anything else they promise me unless I get it in writing. I was told by the recruiter in my area before I was hired that all couriers top out in 4 years. Now when I ask my senior manager, I'm told that he never said that and if I don't like the way Fedex does things then I can leave.Your obviously a smarter person than I am, but why would you do something so stupid as to compromise with people like this. What if they do give you something better for a short while? Who's going to make sure it's not taken away before you retire?

The reason I'm willing to compromise is because I know exactly the kind of people they are. Getting a union doesn't guarantee great pay and benefits. We will most likely have to strike to get anything close to UPS pay. when UPS drivers struck in '97 they were getting pretty good pay for sometime. I'm betting most had some savings to see them through. I doubt that's the case with most FedEx employees, especially us mid-range folk. It'll require huge sacrifices to wait out the company and even then there's no guarantee. Better believe Fred S will do whatever it takes to minimize a union's impact, including layoffs and restructuring of the entire business. I'm not saying this to fear monger, just saying any reasonable offer to keep a union out should be considered. These people play hardball.

vantexan

I'll grant you that Memphis has some great food, but after you've seen Graceland, the Peabody Hotel, Beale Street and Mud Island, what's left? I know it's a regional hub for Northwest/Delta. 3 weeks there for training was more than enough, and numerous shorter visits over the years have done nothing to make me feel differently.

I don't know if you remember this from the news awhile back, but a major vendor tweeted about what a crap town Memphis was while on his flight there and it got intercepted by FedEx. Needless to say, they weren't very happy. The first time I ever went there I saw 5 stripped cars up on blocks on the way to the hotel. Never a good sign.

I'm not saying it's perfect, certainly has it's problems. Still, I've experienced at great length every area of this country and on average Memphians are a cut above most. Just have to live there to know that. Of course there are plenty of other types there too. But I do know that in some cities it's very difficult to get to know people. Not so in Memphis.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm not saying it's perfect, certainly has it's problems. Still, I've experienced at great length every area of this country and on average Memphians are a cut above most. Just have to live there to know that. Of course there are plenty of other types there too. But I do know that in some cities it's very difficult to get to know people. Not so in Memphis.

I think Fred chose Memphis for much more than it's relatively mild weather and central location. He chose a state where he knew his hub workers could never go union under the RLA (as if anyone could anyway), and could get away with low wages. He also has a political climate that is friendly to FedEx for several reasons. First, other than FedEx, what does Memphis have going for it other than being a transportation hub for some railroads and truck companies? Smith can dictate his will and the politicians bend over backwards to accomodate him...even the Democrats. If FedEx were to relocate it's main hub, Memphis would dry-up and blow away. He owns the town. When he ran over and killed that pedestrian while drunk, they let him walk. When he swindled his own sisters out of their money, nothing happened, and when he walks all over the legal rights of the people who work for his company, it goes unchallenged. Yep, Memphis is Fred's kind of town, isn't it?

vantexan

I think Fred chose Memphis for much more than it's relatively mild weather and central location. He chose a state where he knew his hub workers could never go union under the RLA (as if anyone could anyway), and could get away with low wages. He also has a political climate that is friendly to FedEx for several reasons. First, other than FedEx, what does Memphis have going for it other than being a transportation hub for some railroads and truck companies? Smith can dictate his will and the politicians bend over backwards to accomodate him...even the Democrats. If FedEx were to relocate it's main hub, Memphis would dry-up and blow away. He owns the town. When he ran over and killed that pedestrian while drunk, they let him walk. When he swindled his own sisters out of their money, nothing happened, and when he walks all over the legal rights of the people who work for his company, it goes unchallenged. Yep, Memphis is Fred's kind of town, isn't it?

Why indict an entire population over the actions of a few? You've got entire cities in the Rustbelt down the tubes due to corporations moving offshore. Memphis has always been a transportation hub due to it's location. Of course they are going to suck up to the world's largest overnight delivery company. People need jobs, and those corporations moving out of union towns are bypassing places like Memphis for even cheaper labor overseas. Even the local Democrat congressman is in Fred's corner.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why indict an entire population over the actions of a few? You've got entire cities in the Rustbelt down the tubes due to corporations moving offshore. Memphis has always been a transportation hub due to it's location. Of course they are going to suck up to the world's largest overnight delivery company. People need jobs, and those corporations moving out of union towns are bypassing places like Memphis for even cheaper labor overseas. Even the local Democrat congressman is in Fred's corner.

It isn't an indictment of Memphites, or Memphians, or whatever they call themselves. My focus is Smith and those who enable him, which doesn't tar and feather the local population, just the politicians, courts, accomodating (not critical) local press and usual other suspects like the Chamber of Commerce and supplier industries that have skin in the game.

The locals weren't the ones that let Fred walk after he killed that person with his car, it was those I've just listed above...Fred's kind of people. There is a major distinction between the power brokers that prop Smith up and those who just work for him.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just a quick addition here. Ever see an article or editorial critical of FedEx or it's labor practices while you lived there? I've tried Googling The Commercial Appeal (The Memphis paper) for anything remotely resembling anti-Smith or anti-FedEx content. Guess what? I couldn't find any. Maybe that's on me for not being diligent enough, but suffice it to say that I'll stand by my statement that Fred basically owns Memphis. I live in a city that is dominated by a major industry too, but the local media isn't afraid to criticize the company, and there is plenty of political opposition that is pro-union and more than willing to take-on the Republicans who cater to this organization. Funny how it doesn't seem to be that way in Fred's town. Like you said, he's even got the local Democrats in his pocket. Just a little food (ribs) for thought. Think there might be some corruption in Memphis?

vantexan

Just a quick addition here. Ever see an article or editorial critical of FedEx or it's labor practices while you lived there? I've tried Googling The Commercial Appeal (The Memphis paper) for anything remotely resembling anti-Smith or anti-FedEx content. Guess what? I couldn't find any. Maybe that's on me for not being diligent enough, but suffice it to say that I'll stand by my statement that Fred basically owns Memphis. I live in a city that is dominated by a major industry too, but the local media isn't afraid to criticize the company, and there is plenty of political opposition that is pro-union and more than willing to take-on the Republicans who cater to this organization. Funny how it doesn't seem to be that way in Fred's town. Like you said, he's even got the local Democrats in his pocket. Just a little food (ribs) for thought. Think there might be some corruption in Memphis?

Well actually there was quite a stir in Whitehaven when the city proposed buying houses near the airport. Alot of locals were angry about FedEx noise early in the morning when all the jets took off. Don't know how it all turned out, I transferred to Connecticut. Corruption? If you asked the average Memphian what city they most resemble I'd guess #1 would be New Orleans.

quadro

If Fred wants to shut union terminals down...let him. The problem with a national service is that it doesn't work very well when you can't provide said service. If he shuts-down LAX, for example, I think he might have a big problem on his hands.
Oh the irony. This is exactly the same argument that Fred is using to point out why FedEx should stay under the RLA. So apparently you agree that local unions would not be a good thing as "a national service doesn't work very well when you can't provide said service".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Oh the irony. This is exactly the same argument that Fred is using to point out why FedEx should stay under the RLA. So apparently you agree that local unions would not be a good thing as "a national service doesn't work very well when you can't provide said service".

Apparently you don't understand "irony" very well. Fred's argument that the US economy will dissolve if the FedEx Express network is disrupted is fallacious. Great "free market" believer that he is, Smith well understands that substitutes for FedEx are ready and willing to fill the gap. UPS immediately comes to mind. By your logic, this gives him the right to perpetually keep me a WalMart clone effectively barred from ever having a chance to join a union and gain a better life. Crap argument. He's willing to use any excuse to keep his precious RLA exemption. This is just another one of them.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just a little fact check here. If Smith loses his RLA exemption that doesn't mean there will be a union at FedEx. All it does is eliminate his ability to prevent individual locations from organizing. And since FedEx is such a wonderful place to work and we all love it so, nobody will ever vote-in a union, either nationally or on a local basis, right? Why oh why would Mr Smith invest so much money in fake campaigns like brownbailout.com and buy-off politicians by the dozens when he runs such a great company? We're all incredibly well-compensated, have a superb retirement plan, and never have to fear FedEx retaliation if we're hurt or run afoul of our completely fair and just policies and procedures. Right....

Every time another FedEx apologist comes on here I want to throw-up because they're so completely brainwashed and ignorant of the way it really is. Don't blame me for wanting to spread the gospel of reality about this company. If you'd like to continue to believe the fairy tale, be my guest. The world needs stupid people too.

Here's some irony for you Quadro. If we shut down FedEx, one of the viable substitutes is the USPS. Since FedEx is under contract to fly the Express Mail and Priority Mail products, FedEx would most likely be legally obligated to continue to fly basically empty aircraft all over the US with an alternative product aboard. That's irony.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
"And what is truth? Is truth unchanging law? We both have truths. Are mine the same as yours?"--JC Superstar

vantexan

If FedEx would come out tomorrow and say that they realize that the current pay system is insufficient, that they will at the start of the new business year increase pay, maybe bump top-out up $2hr and top-out mid-range employees after 12 years, talk to us like adults and explain that while they would like to pay us UPS pay this is absolutely the best they can do and here's why, I think 85-90% would accept that. And it may mean pay will be frozen at that amount for several years. I think that it would be wise to accept that and then try to do as good a job as possible to keep the company strong. But considering how hard they are fighting to keep the RLA exemption it appears they have absolutely no intent to raise our pay if they can help it. So for all you anti-union people I guess what we should do is just accept what we get and like it. Sorry, not acceptable. If a union gets in it won't be our fault. But I do have a solution for you. If a union does get better pay and benefits for us, just refuse to take the better pay. Do your part to help the company pay the rest of us better. Stand on your principles like a rock. Goes for you Ground guys too. Do your part to help Express employees to do better. After all, you aren't an employee, you are a partner, so man up and accept your responsibility. Excuse me, have to go now, laughing too hard!:rofl:

bbsam

Staff member
Sadly for you, Van, you will probably continue to pay me better. Thank-you, and good to see you are able to laugh.

quadro

Apparently you don't understand "irony" very well. Fred's argument that the US economy will dissolve if the FedEx Express network is disrupted is fallacious. Great "free market" believer that he is, Smith well understands that substitutes for FedEx are ready and willing to fill the gap. UPS immediately comes to mind. By your logic, this gives him the right to perpetually keep me a WalMart clone effectively barred from ever having a chance to join a union and gain a better life. Crap argument. He's willing to use any excuse to keep his precious RLA exemption. This is just another one of them.
Nope. I understand irony. Your point that I was responding to offered up the suggestion that Fred would have a big problem if he shut down part of a national service. Given your clearly defined position and the context of your remark, it is evident that your intent was to show your readers that Fred wouldn't do that and having local unions wouldn't be a problem. The irony is that your argument actually supports Fred's position that a local union could strike and shut down somewhere like LAX and, by your own admission, this would cause a big problem. Yes, UPS comes to mind as I'm sure they'd love nothing more that for FedEx to go on strike.

Maybe that's why they are working so closely with the Teamsters to push the RLA change? Just sayin'.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Nope. I understand irony. Your point that I was responding to offered up the suggestion that Fred would have a big problem if he shut down part of a national service. Given your clearly defined position and the context of your remark, it is evident that your intent was to show your readers that Fred wouldn't do that and having local unions wouldn't be a problem. The irony is that your argument actually supports Fred's position that a local union could strike and shut down somewhere like LAX and, by your own admission, this would cause a big problem. Yes, UPS comes to mind as I'm sure they'd love nothing more that for FedEx to go on strike.

Maybe that's why they are working so closely with the Teamsters to push the RLA change? Just sayin'.

No, the local union wouldn't shut down FedEx...Smith would. If we voted for a union, one would assume from his previous statements that Fred would probably lock-out workers or refuse to negotiate. The hypothetical LAX closure would be a result of Mr Smith's refusal to acknowledge and/or bargain with the union for a fair and equitable contract. Neither "fair" nor "equitable" are in Smith's vocabulary.

As I've said before, Fred is a free market capitalist. Based on that ideology, other companies would swiftly move-in to fill the void caused by a shutdown of FedEx Express, and he shouldn't have a problem with that. That's the risk he takes if he doesn't negotiate, so it would be ironic if he cuts his own throat by refusing to make a deal with his employees. As a free market person, Fred shouldn't have an issue with UPS and the IBT "cooperating" because that's "just business" much in the same way he purchases politicians. Isn't that also "cooperation"? By the way, I don't think UPS and the Teamsters could collaborate long enough to jointly construct a paper airplane, much less fight against FedEx.

quadro

Just a little fact check here. If Smith loses his RLA exemption that doesn't mean there will be a union at FedEx. All it does is eliminate his ability to prevent individual locations from organizing.
Correct. See your above argument as to why this is important.

Here's some irony for you Quadro. If we shut down FedEx, one of the viable substitutes is the USPS. Since FedEx is under contract to fly the Express Mail and Priority Mail products, FedEx would most likely be legally obligated to continue to fly basically empty aircraft all over the US with an alternative product aboard. That's irony.
Have to start calling you Alanis. FedEx is already flying the mail so how is flying it without Express packages and more USPS shipments irony? USPS, while a competitor, is still just a customer. At some point, legally obligated or not, FedEx could just stop flying, close its doors, and say goodbye if there was no Express revenue. Where would that leave all the $30/hour employees?

The funny thing is that you mock and deride anyone that actually believes in FedEx. Those people know what they have and what they don't have. What you espouse, however, is the unknown and expect people to take it hook, line, and sinker. You have absolutely no idea exactly what will happen if the labor status changes and contract negotiations begin. You may be able to make some very educated guesses, but that's all they are, guesses. If people don't want to take that chance that's their decision. If people do, that's their right too. There's nothing to say that Fred won't make more money with a union but you've made up your mind and expect others to take your word for it that FedEx is an evil empire that can do no right.

For every argument here that sets out to prove how bad FedEx is, there's an example of how it's just the opposite at FedEx. Not sure why that matters anyway as everything here is anecdotal at best.

quadro

No, the local union wouldn't shut down FedEx...Smith would.
But they could and that is my point.
other companies would swiftly move-in to fill the void caused by a shutdown of FedEx Express
For example? Oh right, DHL.
By the way, I don't think UPS and the Teamsters could collaborate long enough to jointly construct a paper airplane, much less fight against FedEx.
And yet they are.