Mother's Day

moreluck

golden ticket member
This is for reading "Goodnight, Moon" twice a night for a year. And then reading it again..."Just one more time."

This is for all the mothers who mess up. Who yell at their kids in the grocery store and swat them in despair and stomp their feet like a tired 2-year-old who wants ice cream before dinner.

This is for all the mothers who taught their daughters to tie their shoelaces before they started school. And for all the mothers who opted for Velcro instead.

For all the mothers who bite their lips--sometimes until they bleed--when their 14-year-olds dye their hair green. Who lock themselves in the bathroom when babies keep crying and won't stop.

This is for all the mothers who show up at work with spit-up in their hair and milk stains on their blouses and diapers in their purse.

This is for all the mothers who teach their sons to cook and their daughters to sink a jump shot. This is for all mothers whose heads turn automatically when a little voice calls "Mom?" in a crowd, even though they know their own offspring are at home.

This is for mothers who put pinwheels and teddy bears on their children's graves.

This is for mothers whose children have gone astray, who can't find the words to reach them. This is for all the mothers who sent their sons to school with stomach aches, assuring them they'd be just FINE once they got there, only to get calls from the school nurse an hour later asking them to please pick them up. Right away.

This is for young mothers stumbling through diaper changes and sleep deprivation...And mature mothers learning to let go...For working mothers and stay-at-home mothers. Single mothers and married mothers... Mothers with money, mothers without. Happy Mother's Day!

moreluck

golden ticket member
REFLECTIONS OF A MOTHER

I gave you life, but cannot live it for you. I can teach you things, but I cannot make you learn. I can give you directions, but I cannot be there to lead you. I can allow you freedom, but I cannot account for it. I can take you to church, but I cannot make you believe. I can teach you right from wrong, but I cannot always decide for you. I can buy you beautiful clothes, but I cannot make you beautiful inside. I can offer you advice, but I cannot accept it for you. I can give you love, but I cannot force it upon you. I can teach you to share, but I cannot make you unselfish. I can teach you respect, but I cannot force you to show honor. I can advise you about friends, but cannot choose them for you. I can advise you about sex, but I cannot keep you pure. I can tell you the facts of life, but I can't build your reputation. I can tell you about drink, but I can't say "no" for you. I can warn you about drugs, but I can't prevent you from using them. I can tell you about lofty goals, but I can't achieve them for you. I can teach you about kindness, but I can't force you to be gracious. I can warn you about sins, but I cannot make you moral. I can love you as a child, but I cannot place you in God's family. I can pray for you, but I cannot make you walk with God. I can teach you about Jesus, but I cannot make Jesus your Lord. I can tell you how to live, but I cannot give you eternal life. I can love you with unconditional love all of my life...and I will!

Always, Mom

moreluck

golden ticket member
Mothers' Maintenance Manual....

Many of us take better care of our cars then we do our mothers and yet we only expect our cars to last 5 or 6 years but we expect our mothers to last for a lifetime. Maybe we need a maintenance manual for mothers so we would know how to take care of them at least as well as we do our automobiles. Here are some items that might be included in such a manual.

Engine: A mother's engine is one of the most dependable kinds you can find. She can reach top speed from a prone position at a single cry from a sleeping child. But regular breaks are needed to keep up that peak performance. Mothers need a hot bath and a nap every 100 miles, a baby-sitter and a night out every 1,000 miles, and a live in baby-sitter with a one week vacation every 10,000 miles.

Battery: Mother's batteries should be recharged regularly. Handmade items, notes, unexpected hugs and kisses, and frequent "I Love you's" will do very well for a recharge.

Carburetor: When a mother's carburetor floods it should be treated immediately with Kleenex and a soft shoulder.

Brakes: See that she uses her brakes to slow down often and come to a full stop occasionally. (A squeaking sound indicates a need for a rest).

Fuel: Most mothers can run indefinitely on coffee, leftovers and salads, but an occasional dinner for two at a nice restaurant will really add to her efficiency.

Chassis: Mothers run best when their bodies are properly maintained. Regular exercise should be encouraged and provided for as necessary. A change in hairdo or makeup in spring and fall are also helpful. If you notice the chassis begins to sag, immediately start a program of walking, jogging, swimming, or bike riding. These are most effective when done with fathers.

Tune-ups: Mothers need regular tune-ups. Compliments are both the cheapest and most effective way to keep a mother purring contentedly. If these instructions are followed consistently, this fantastic creation and gift from God, that we call MOTHER should last a lifetime and give good service and constant love to those who need her most.

moreluck

golden ticket member
While we honor all our mothers

with words of love and praise.

While we tell about their goodness

and their kind and loving ways.

We should also think of Grandma,

she's a mother too, you see....

For she mothered my dear mother

as my mother mothers me.

moreluck

golden ticket member
A MOTHER...

When you're a child she walks before you, To set an example.

When you're a teenager she walks behind you To be there should you need her.

When you're an adult she walks beside you So that as two friends you can enjoy life together..

moreluck

golden ticket member
A Mother's Dictionary.....

DUMBWAITER: one who asks if the kids would care to order dessert.

FEEDBACK: the inevitable result when the baby doesn't appreciate the strained carrots.

FULL NAME: what you call your child when you're mad at him.

GRANDPARENTS: the people who think your children are wonderful even though they're sure you're not raising them right.

HEARSAY: what toddlers do when anyone mutters a dirty word.

INDEPENDENT: how we want our children to be as long as they do everything we say.

OW: the first word spoken by children with older siblings.

PUDDLE: a small body of water that draws other small bodies wearing dry shoes into it.

SHOW OFF: a child who is more talented than yours.

STERILIZE: what you do to your first baby's pacifier by boiling it, and to your last baby's pacifier by blowing on it and wiping it with saliva.

TOP BUNK: where you should never put a child wearing Superman jammies.

TWO-MINUTE WARNING: when the baby's face turns red and she begins to make those familiar grunting noises.

VERBAL: able to whine in words.

WHODUNIT: none of the kids that live in your house.

moreluck

golden ticket member
BEFORE I WAS A MOM

I slept as late as I wanted and never worried about how late I got into bed! I brushed my hair and my teeth everyday.

Before I was a Mom...I cleaned my house each day... I never tripped over toys or forgot words to a lullaby...I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous...I never thought about immunizations.

Before I was a Mom I had never been puked on...Pooped on...Spit on...Chewed on...Peed on...I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts...I slept all night...

Before I was a Mom...I never held down a screaming child so that doctors could do tests or give shots...I never looked into teary eyes and cried...I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin...I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.

Before I was a Mom...I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down!...I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt...I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much...I never knew that I could love someone so much...I never knew I would love being a Mom.

Before I was a Mom...I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body...I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby...I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important! Important and happy!

Before I was a Mom...I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay...I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the pride of being a Mom! I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much before!

And before I was a "Grandma" I didn't know that all those "Mom" feelings more than doubled!!