Mr. Hoffa. Get Off Your Ass Right Now

MAKAVELI

It takes time to undo the years of brainwashing bro. I have never worked at a place where the employees are so beaten down that they do not want to even whisper the word union. But things are changing and attitudes are changing. I have said it before it is going to take some time. Persistence and a willingness to stick it out to the end is what will bring a unionized FedEx to fruition.

If Express were under NLRA rules - local organizing would work just fine. The RLA changes all of that.

Then to make it worse, the ONLY union that potentially could organize Express Couriers - has made a decision to cut and run; having made the decision that they could never hope to get 50% of Couriers to sign rep cards even if they were to put forth the significant resources to even try.

I put up the list of other unions almost 2 weeks ago (since everyone seems to be holding their noses at the prospect of IBT organizing)- absolutely NO posting regarding someone calling other unions. NOTHING. I at least expected a few posters to write that they did call a couple of unions and were told in so many words, "No thanks". Nothing, absolutely nothing.

If the Express Couriers want the benefits of being organized - the posters to this forum (whether you want to believe it or not, they are the 'leadership' of a potential grassroots movement), are going to have to do the work and not just sit back, post and lurk and hold out hope that someone else out there is going to do it for them. There is no one else out there, YOU are it.

From the private mail communication that has come into certain individuals here - there is no real indication that any real commitment by ALL the Express Couriers who post and lurk here to take action (getting out rep cards and attempting to establish 'network'), will ever occur. There is lots of sympathy, a FEW who are doing work in their stations, but a FEW stations with people getting out rep cards won't do a damn thing in the face of the RLA. It has to be a MASSIVE grassroots level push - something with the urgency of a tsunami sweeping across Express stations to even hope to succeed. That hasn't materialized.

There is only ONE slim chance of organizing Express Couriers - for the Couriers to develop a private network to establish organizers in as many stations as possible, then have those station level organizers get out rep cards and encourage their coworkers to get them sent in. All in the seemingly vain hope of getting the IBT to reconsider its position vis-a-vis Express Couriers and start to take over organizing and work with the station level organizers and get enough cards signed to get a petition to have a vote with the NLRB. I illustrated what would be needed in another thread - something with that level of urgency is the ONLY thing which will succeed. Small, uncoordinated local level attempts will just be quashed by the anti-union hit team should district management inform Memphis that they, "have a problem".

Memphis is well capable of sending out their hit team to deal with the occasional "flooded basement" (station with organizing activity). What they are not equipped to deal with is a tsunami sweeping across all stations nearly simultaneously. They can't handle that (I tried to illustrate that in my hypothetical narrative).

That is why if the Couriers are EVER to organize, they are going to have to commit to developing network, getting cards out, expanding network and accepting some level of organization upon themselves and not behave like a herd of cats. From the posting activity that has gone on in the past couple of weeks combined with the private mails that have gone around - 'it' isn't there and most likely never will be.

I had some hope that Fred's decision to not give you pay raises would snap you (in the plural) out of your fear and inaction and actually cause that tsunami to begin to form. Hasn't happened. At this point, I'm left wondering if there is ANYTHING which would snap the Couriers (the entire company pool) out of their collective inaction and create that tsunami. But to shift to another metaphor - I'm thinking that Fred is just too adroit in slowly cranking up the heat on that frog in the kettle. The frog will end up being cooked long before it realizes its time to jump out of the kettle.
I agree but to think it's going to happen in a few weeks is unrealistic to say the least.

Ricochet1a

I agree but to think it's going to happen in a few weeks is unrealistic to say the least.

Its not like the latest dump on the Couriers is something new. You've only got 6 months of posting here. Go back in time and look what went on.

Just going back 4.5 years - the pension was gutted, the 401k matching was taken away -then brought back (they knew they went too far with that one). Regular pay raises were taken away, the 'merit' system was abolished.

I remember people on here 'cheering' when the merit pay increases went away - thinking they were going to 'get something'. I laughed my head off, but no, most of the posters here thought that they were going to get something. I even laughed when people posted about the 'fact' that Express had "a new system of giving pay increases". The only thing new about it was that Express was going to make the decision when or if they were going to give a pay increase at all.

This didn't 'start' 3 weeks ago - it started YEARS ago. The frog has been in the kettle for a long time now. The only problem is that the frog has gotten accustomed to it being so hot, that it is only complaining rather than jumping out of the kettle.

If Fred 5 years ago would've come right out and stated:

1. I'm going to take away your pension and replace it with something worth about one-third as much.

2. I'm going to make any pay raises completely at my whim - and there will NEVER be any further top outs of wage employees at less than 70% progression.

3. I'm going to play with the 401k matching funds you receive in order to boost my profitability when I need it.

4. I'm going to constantly change your working conditions for the worse, with your having no real input as to the way things are going.

5. I'm going to slowly erode the value of your health insurance, to the point where it isn't of much benefit compared to what you could get on the free market.

6. I'm going to gradually restructure the company to gradually do away with the need for full time Couriers.

That frog would've jumped out immediately.

This didn't just start 3 weeks ago - it started a LONG TIME AGO. There is no sign that Fred will change his method of slowly turning the heat up - so YES, things either need to get moving NOW, or they never will. Given the reaction to the latest twist of the knob on the stove, there isn't going to be any collective 'jump' occurring.

Broke

The mechanics actually had enough cards signed during their organizing attempt a couple of years ago. Not sure why the teamsters didn't allow a vote. I was involved in that campaign even though I'm not a mechanic. It would have been a landslide

Broke

It appeared when the FAA bill didn't pass the senate, and the teamsters couldn't get the couriers to organize locally, they pulled out all together. Despite what the teamsters say, the mechanics could have organized without the couriers

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It appeared when the FAA bill didn't pass the senate, and the teamsters couldn't get the couriers to organize locally, they pulled out all together. Despite what the teamsters say, the mechanics could have organized without the couriers

True.