My local is stealing from the poor

Indecisi0n

How would you have felt if you had paid both and not been retained? Would you have asked for a refund or would you have felt it a small price to pay for the privilege of working in a union shop?

It was a small price to pay for working at a union shop. I have had many union jobs and I agree if I want to work a union job I need to pay the dues. It's weird that we get no representation but that's how it is. I remember as a seasonal paying dues asking for a union pin when they were being giving out and the old union guy said "No, your not in the union." Have to admit that rubbed me the wrong way.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I like my union due and we all had to pay up @ bottom start rate and some of us were seasonal in the beginning.

If they get droped after season the sure, give it back minus user fee's.

You never know if they might stay after season

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The important thing to note is: a seasonal person who paid dues and was out of a job, can go and file for withdrawral and get their dues money back. That's how it works here. If you do not withdraw and get your money back, you are still paid into the union whatever portion of initiation, in case you were to find work at UPS or otw as a Teamster.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The important thing to note is: a seasonal person who paid dues and was out of a job, can go and file for withdrawral and get their dues money back. That's how it works here. If you do not withdraw and get your money back, you are still paid into the union whatever portion of initiation, in case you were to find work at UPS or otw as a Teamster.

Are seasonal workers educated in this process, whether by HR or the union? The average seasonal worker is not going to know this unless someone tells them.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I think some people are misunderstanding what the original poster was writing. I too agree that dues should be charged but the initiation fee at least in Hartford is $550. I personally don't think the initiation fee should kick in until the employee makes seniority at 30 days or whatever.

1howardfan

That is unfair to the people that they know are only temporary workers. My son worked for them from December until June or something and they had him coded as temporary worker and never started taking union dues or initiation fees out until then. I believe it's the way they code them in GEMS whether they take the fees out. I would check that first and make sure they are not coded as permanent employees.

packageguy

Curious to see if this activity is happening nationwide or just in my area!!
Peak employees/seasonal workers are once again having union dues "iniation fees" taking ou tof their paychecks..its bad enough these ppl are working for $8.50 and being rushed off the clock my management!! These poor soles have no chance to join the union and are forced to pay the piper!!
Meanwhile our local still complains they are broke from "the $50 strike check" we received in 1997!!
We must be bulding vegas again or something with them millions of $'s in peak iniation fees!!!

It's a union shop, It is what it is.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What do you recommend they do? I think maybe they should work for fdx. And I am not knocking fdx.. We are a union shop we pay union dues period.. This should not be an issue.

They are seasonal employees with virtually no chance of being retained after Peak. They are basically disposable to be used and discarded. How in the world is it fair that they be asked to pay both an Initiation Fee and monthly dues? Now, if they are hired on after Peak, then by all means collect dues for the time spent working during Peak, but to basically gouge these "employees" is blatantly unfair and revoking this should not require a motion at a meeting but should be common sense.

We have a hard enough time in my center getting people to apply for the job---I can't imagine how hard it would be if we then asked them to pay an Initiation Fee and union dues for union protection which they will never need or use.

article22

Banned
they are seasonal employees with virtually no chance of being retained after peak. They are basically disposable to be used and discarded. How in the world is it fair that they be asked to pay both an initiation fee and monthly dues? Now, if they are hired on after peak, then by all means collect dues for the time spent working during peak, but to basically gouge these "employees" is blatantly unfair and revoking this should not require a motion at a meeting but should be common sense.

We have a hard enough time in my center getting people to apply for the job---i can't imagine how hard it would be if we then asked them to pay an initiation fee and union dues for union protection which they will never need or use.

best words ever spoken by upstate!!!!! These ppl on here just dont get it... They forget where they came from!! Its common sense fellow truck drivers!!!

packageguy

I understand what you are saying, In our center we had peak help and casuals make after peak. My center is of many centers. I know they all don't make it. But it' been this way for a hundred years. But it a union shop an thats not changing.

article22

Banned
I understand what you are saying, In our center we had peak help and casuals make after peak. My center is of many centers. I know they all don't make it. But it' been this way for a hundred years. But it a union shop an thats not changing.
in my hub not only is nooooooone given a job but ups haS the balls to call you Next year and ASK U TO do it again!! we have some "bus riders" that are making their 4th and 5th peak back!! thats just dumb!!! I CAN PICK UP TIN CANS AND MAKE MORE THAN WHAT THEY GET AT BROWN!