My timecard already says that I'm getting paid today for a "Legal Holiday", however, we are expected to come in today.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Most high seniority air drivers take this week as vacation. Get paid double time for Thursday and Friday and the week off.
I usually took the whole month of August off.
Need that time to play with my boats and lobster gear.

After I went combo and they had to hire more Air Drivers was I able to refuse the work.
Road traffic to and back from that other building was extremely bad.
I just wanted to get the job done and head home early because there was still Sat Air to worry about.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You may as well vote now because that is about 100th on our list of demands and will not be changed or even looked at for more than a minute so it doesn't matter what else is negotiated if that is a deal breaker for you. The company obviously needs us to work today as they are essentially paying triple time to hundreds of people per building and if they could they would obviously prefer to avoid it. I would say it's more possible that he union trades double time on this day for something else and it becomes a regular working day. My wife worked today and did not receive any extra money as is the same for most people working today.

You can be happy serving at the pleasure of your masters. I have a life outside of work. I want my time off. The company and the union can shove their triple time.

Mr. Marshall

When did the Friday after thanksgiving become a day to risk your life to save $5 on last year's close out items?
Risking your life?
You can be happy serving at the pleasure of your masters. I have a life outside of work. I want my time off. The company and the union can shove their triple time.
Regardless there is ZERO chance that we aren't working that in the future so you are already locked in with a "no" vote. You may as well avoid all future contract threads and union notices etc. because apparently you have an insanely unrealistic deal breaker. Or perhaps you just use a vacation week or call in if that one day is so very meaningful to you.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Risking your life?
Hmm... I never expected to have to explain something that ought to be common knowledge. People get trampled to death every year.

Regardless there is ZERO chance that we aren't working that in the future so you are already locked in with a "no" vote.

Zero chance? Can you tell me next weeks' Powerball numbers? Lol.

Someone told me that part time weekend drivers was not going to be on the table, but it is one of two proposals that the company will bring to the table to deal with 7-day delivery. I think people who are sure of what's going to happen are hilarious.

You may as well avoid all future contract threads and union notices etc. because apparently you have an insanely unrealistic deal breaker.

It sounds like you feel threatened by people with higher standards than you. Almost like you don't want the idea of actually getting holidays off to catch on. Why would that be?

Or perhaps you just use a vacation week or call in if that one day is so very meaningful to you.

Or, how about the union get us something back that they gave away for absolutely nothing in return?

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
when did black Friday become a holiday? what a bunch of pusillanimous
I think it was originally given as a chance for us to rest up for seasons beatings, as we only get Christmas day off, and not Christmas Eve. Not the day after, nothing but Christmas Day.
Then they got so they cared even less than before, about the employee, and family?life balance: which was a hurdle, and decided we would just get paid, but be forced to work. And thats how it went. IMHO

Trucker Clock

Luckily our union fought to get this in the contract.

Not so. Our Union fought to have Black Friday as a paid day off. Our Union caved and allowed UPS to make us work. I think there is still one or two Locals that the members cannot be forced in on Black Friday. We still get the Supplemental Holiday pay though, for the time being.

New Year's Eve

New Years Eve is not a scheduled work day for ground drivers like Black Friday is.

I will vote no on any contract that does not get us our holidays off, guaranteed, no more working holiday bull :censored2:.

I agree. But, UPS intend to fix that for you. You will not have to work anymore Holidays pretty soon. Black Friday will end up being removed as a Holiday, but I see the Supplemental pay sticking around.

It's only double time, or time and a half, not triple time.

Nothing like the first number on your paycheck starting with a three
Brings a little tear to my eyes

Tears don't come to my eyes until that first number is a 4. I'm used to the 3.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I agree. But, UPS intend to fix that for you. You will not have to work anymore Holidays pretty soon. Black Friday will end up being removed as a Holiday, but I see the Supplemental pay sticking around.

I'd be ok with that if they gave us extra floating holidays that we can take whenever we feel like with a day's notice.

It's only double time, or time and a half, not triple time.

Then they can  really shove it. Some places get double time for working, plus the holiday pay, that's triple time. Most get at least time and a half for working plus the holiday pay, making double time and a half.

I'm curious, what made you feel the need to focus on this off-the-cuff comment for an unnecessary and not-entirely-correct correction?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I'd be ok with that if they gave us extra floating holidays that we can take whenever we feel like with a day's notice.

Then they can  really shove it. Some places get double time for working, plus the holiday pay, that's triple time. Most get at least time and a half for working plus the holiday pay, making double time and a half.

I'm curious, what made you feel the need to focus on this off-the-cuff comment for an unnecessary and not-entirely-correct correction?
It’s the age old debate. Is it triple time if you get the 8 hours holiday pay either way? I say no.

Here it’s double time for the first 8, triple time after 8, PLUS 8 hours of holiday pay.

You say tomato, I say I’ll rip your eyebrows off….😜

DriverNerd

If you work 11 hours you don't get 11 hours of triple time. You get 11 hours of double time plus 8 hours straight time. You can look at it however you want, but it's not the same thing as triple time all day.

DriverNerd

Here it’s double time for the first 8, triple time after 8, PLUS 8 hours of holiday pay.
1669572822481.png

Trucker Clock

Because I see it all the time. And you mentioned it yet again. People say they are getting triple time for Black Friday.

No, they are not. If you stay home, you get the Holiday pay regardless. When you come in and work, you are working for double time, or time and a half. After 8 hours, you are still getting double time, or time and a half. The Holiday pay is for 8 hours.

So, are people saying that I am getting triple time for the first 8 hours and then only double time for the rest?

If it makes people feel better saying they are getting triple time, so be it. But they are not being paid triple time to work..

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Because I see it all the time. And you mentioned it yet again. People say they are getting triple time for Black Friday.

No, they are not. If you stay home, you get the Holiday pay regardless. When you come in and work, you are working for double time, or time and a half. After 8 hours, you are still getting double time, or time and a half. The Holiday pay is for 8 hours.

So, are people saying that I am getting triple time for the first 8 hours and then only double time for the rest?

If it makes people feel better saying they are getting triple time, so be it. But they are not being paid triple time to work..

I say this with all due respect and in the interest of legitimate critique: you making that distinction when there is no meaningful difference is an exercise in pedantic inanity. If it makes you feel better to point out things that don't matter, great, because that is all you are accomplishing.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If you work 11 hours you don't get 11 hours of triple time. You get 11 hours of double time plus 8 hours straight time. You can look at it however you want, but it's not the same thing as triple time all day.

Who said anything about triple time all day? You guys are needling just to needle.