National Emergency Rumor?

Superteeth2478

Now, before anyone makes comments on political affiliations, I'll just say I don't follow politics in general and don't really care about Trump either way. I'm more left-leaning than right-leaning as far as ideologies go. And I see that Trump said and did a LOT of stupid things while dealing with the Coronavirus, all the way from day one.

That said, what do people think would have been the proper way to deal with it? For Trump to immediately declare a state of national emergency and start urging local governments to shut down their restaurants, movie theaters, gyms, etc., cancel all gatherings of more than 10-50 people for a minimum of two weeks, basically do all the things that are being done right now?

Here's the thing: If Trump had done that when we first heard about Coronavirus making it's way over here, it is far more likely than not that it wouldn't have become the issue that it is now. That said, it would have hurt the economy a lot to shut things down for two weeks. Then people would look at that and go "Hur hur, Trump is a screw-up, look at what he did to the economy, all over one person with a variation of the flu, hur hur!", not to mention comparisons to dictators...

So basically by doing what would now be considered "right" and averting disaster, he wouldn't get credit for averting disaster because no one knows how bad it would have been if he hadn't taken immediate extreme measures. So it's basically "damned if you do, damned if you don't". In other words, it's really stupid all around. It was a gamble to choose to not address it with extreme measures, and it didn't work out.

But at the same time, considering the immediate impact it would have had on the economy for certain, POSSIBLY over nothing (at the time no one knew how serious it could have been), it's a gamble that most would have been willing to take. Now I'm sure a bunch of armchair presidents will say otherwise, but in all honesty they're full of :censored2:.

All that can really be done now is deal with it the best way we can, instead of pointing fingers. It sure as hell isn't going to make anything better.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Now, before anyone makes comments on political affiliations, I'll just say I don't follow politics in general and don't really care about Trump either way. I'm more left-leaning than right-leaning as far as ideologies go. And I see that Trump said and did a LOT of stupid things while dealing with the Coronavirus, all the way from day one.

That said, what do people think would have been the proper way to deal with it? For Trump to immediately declare a state of national emergency and start urging local governments to shut down their restaurants, movie theaters, gyms, etc., cancel all gatherings of more than 10-50 people for a minimum of two weeks, basically do all the things that are being done right now?

Here's the thing: If Trump had done that when we first heard about Coronavirus making it's way over here, it is far more likely than not that it wouldn't have become the issue that it is now. That said, it would have hurt the economy a lot to shut things down for two weeks. Then people would look at that and go "Hur hur, Trump is a screw-up, look at what he did to the economy, all over one person with a variation of the flu, hur hur!", not to mention comparisons to dictators...

So basically by doing what would now be considered "right" and averting disaster, he wouldn't get credit for averting disaster because no one knows how bad it would have been if he hadn't taken immediate extreme measures. So it's basically "damned if you do, damned if you don't". In other words, it's really stupid all around. It was a gamble to choose to not address it with extreme measures, and it didn't work out.

But at the same time, considering the immediate impact it would have had on the economy for certain, POSSIBLY over nothing (at the time no one knew how serious it could have been), it's a gamble that most would have been willing to take. Now I'm sure a bunch of armchair presidents will say otherwise, but in all honesty they're full of :censored2:.

All that can really be done now is deal with it the best way we can, instead of pointing fingers. It sure as hell isn't going to make anything better.

how about a tldr version

Superteeth2478

how about a tldr version
TLDR Version:
Trump sounds like an inarticulate maroon when he's talking about Coronavirus but the decision he made to not address it in an extreme manner immediately is probably what most anyone would have done and no one had the foresight to see how serious it was going to become and if he did address it as seriously as we now know it warranted he would have been criticized just the same and anyone who says otherwise is an armchair president wannabe and an idiot at that.

Edit: LOL, it censors maroon?

watdaflock?

TLDR Version:
Trump sounds like an inarticulate maroon when he's talking about Coronavirus but the decision he made to not address it in an extreme manner immediately is probably what most anyone would have done and no one had the foresight to see how serious it was going to become and if he did address it as seriously as we now know it warranted he would have been criticized just the same and anyone who says otherwise is an armchair president wannabe and an idiot at that.

Edit: LOL, it censors maroon?
Trump knew of it's seriousness in 2019, over three months ago. It's called COVID-19 for a reason.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Beware of the 4 o'clock public news conferences.
With just about everything shut down, what the heck are they going to do next ?

Boston has already banned all construction site from operating and they must be physically secured. Don't want any jumpers.

oldngray

nowhere special
Beware of the 4 o'clock public news conferences.
With just about everything shut down, what the heck are they going to do next ?

Boston has already banned all construction site from operating and they must be physically secured. Don't want any jumpers.

They love to pull crap like that on Friday so they avoid attention during the weekend