Need a little encouragement (On Topic)

BrownArmy

I've been a full time driver at UPS for ten years.

I got hired for preload, but some nice HR lady called me and asked me if I was interested in driving trucks.

I had ten years of truck-driving experience on my resume, so I assumed that's why the nice lady called.

Or, more likely, the nice HR lady never saw my resume, and that particular center needed drivers, hence her call.

In either case, I got hired in June and trained in July. I called every day until September (no work), finally started working the first week in September, and I haven't stopped since.

It's hard to get an accurate response from this forum, because every UPS center is different...different needs, different managers, bla bla.

I called every day for a month and a half...when they needed me, I showed up, and I haven't stopped working since.

Give it a shot.

Forget gps on your phone, paper maps are the deal. I bought a map book at a gas station, tore all the pages out, 'laminated' them with clear packing tape, and now I know thirty routes in seven towns (ten years later).

Good luck, and god-speed.

And, for all the haters, absolutely sort your truck when you're making your thirty days. You only have to make book once. The new guys don't know the drill, and they get the package fever, lose their minds and then they get 'let go'.

I'm a cover driver, and I work daily in trucks that would make a new guy quit, and my a-h center manager likes to send the newbies out in the worst trucks possible.

You got to start somewhere...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2484.JPG
Hey friendo, I'm in a similar boat as you in that I started working a couple weeks ago after driver training class, stuck in local sort because "not enough supervisors to train all the new drivers" or so they say, and I'm really getting mixed signals about what counts toward seniority (does local sort count, or just driving days? On here it sounds like local sort doesn't count, but at my center I'm told it does), what my hours will be driving this peak (on here I'm hearing about possibly not driving at all and/or getting laid off after peak, but at my center I'm hearing 60 to 80 hours during peak and "don't worry" about getting laid off), among other things.

So yeah, lots of conflicting information, basically I'm just going to do my darndest and hope for the best.

I can give you a helpful tidbit-- I think--- Did you say you already did the driver training class, or heading there soon? In any case, if you have the DOK memorized, that's great. I wouldn't worry too much about the DIAD, that thing seemed pretty self-evident once I started using it (during class, mind you, it may be more tricky in the real world).

Anyway, good luck.

AlliSeeisBrown

First thing you need to do is to calm down. You'll get in an accident with so much worry on your mind. Just get out there with a clear head and a positive mindset and do your best. If it doesn't eventually click then it's not for you.
I'm in a half laid back center and the fresh blood that doesn't put up numbers doesn't get work. Personally, I haven't been laid off since I started months ago (unless I begged for it). I don't burn up routes, nor do I slack. They don't worry about me nor do I worry about them. Find that medium.

john chesney

The stress and anxiety are from the worry about providing for my family and leaving a stable good paying job for this high risk one. Reading on here hasn't helped, because I just imagine worst case scenario, however I have to believe that it's not all ad bad as people say it is on this forum. I consider myself a quick learner, respectful, and a hard worker.
Wouldn't they need some sort of reason to let me go? Why advertise a full time permanent position and then not work the guy 40 hours or lay them off? That seems like it would be illegal. You can really mess up somebody's family doing that. You can destroy lives doing that.
If you're taking a pay cut for this job and it's not to late go back to your other job now. That's the best advice I can honestly give. Good luck

john chesney

Wow this is starting to freak me out and I'm starting to feel sick. I left my job with the understanding I was getting hired for a permanent full time position, meaning I'm getting 40 hours or more per week. I have a family to provide for. I cannot wrap my head around how a company could hire somebody under documented laid out conditions and then have no work for them. I was under the understanding that once you start it's a 30 day probation from start date and after that your in the union.

Technically I was asked to start back at the end of July but I needed to transfer over a lot of stuff in my old job and I asked for a delayed start date to which they gave me because they said they liked me. Seasonal drivers are hired before labor day? My start date will be Sept 5. I filled all the new hire stuff out back in July.
Get used to that feeling sorry to say. Even if you do make it you'll be worried for a long time.Been fired 3 times with little kids at home. No one can understand it till you been through it. I don't even try to explain this job to anyone except another ups driver

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The stress and anxiety are from the worry about providing for my family and leaving a stable good paying job for this high risk one. Reading on here hasn't helped, because I just imagine worst case scenario, however I have to believe that it's not all ad bad as people say it is on this forum. I consider myself a quick learner, respectful, and a hard worker.
Wouldn't they need some sort of reason to let me go? Why advertise a full time permanent position and then not work the guy 40 hours or lay them off? That seems like it would be illegal. You can really mess up somebody's family doing that. You can destroy lives doing that.
they dont care about you or your family. They try to destroy lives daily. get out now.