Need a little encouragement (On Topic)

Dumbo

What are you most worried about? Top 3? Put them in a simple sentence.

Now mostly that the job was misrepresented to me and that I won't be permanent or full time.

I spoke to another driver that was hired off the street who came through my old job...he was doing his 30 days I assume and and I asked him if he was just a temporary or peak and he said with absolute confidence that he was permanent and told me he was getting 10 hour days and working full time. He is out of the same hub.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There is some bad advice being given here. My Center hired 19 new permanent drivers for Tuesday through Saturday when we went to Saturday Ground a few months back. A few of them washed out in no time. We picked up a few extra routes from nearby small Centers with an expansion to our Hub. We are also getting an automated Small Sort installed. UPS is expecting more volume from online sales. Those large pieces of furniture we are getting is because they are too big for the Post Office and Amazon contractors. People are getting too lazy to pick up at a store that offers free shipping, the big stuff is a trend that is not going away. We had to go hiring full-time drivers off the street because either the part-time Hub people don't want to bid on full-time package or aren't qualified. HelloBrown1978 may be getting hired under similar circumstances. Being on the bottom may mean laid off a day here and there, but I think he isn't being hired just for Peak Season.

Faceplanted

Now mostly that the job was misrepresented to me and that I won't be permanent or full time.

I spoke to another driver that was hired off the street who came through my old job...he was doing his 30 days I assume and and I asked him if he was just a temporary or peak and he said with absolute confidence that he was permanent and told me he was getting 10 hour days and working full time. He is out of the same hub.
The new driver you spoke with doesn't even know what a contract is or what his progression is most likely. He has been working because vacations are in full swing. That stops next week and in oct nobody takes vacation.

We have been in the front lines for years. It doesn't matter if he thinks he's permanent it matters what ups classifies him as and if he gets his 30 days before oct 15.

I'll tell you for the last time... HR lies. Supervisors lie, they won't tell you your seasonal, they will tell you "buSt your ass for us and we'll make sure you stay". Come Jan 15 see you later. We have all see it happen. It's sad to watch. I personally saw this happen to 2 drivers this past peak. They told me managment told them keep busting it out and you will be perminant. Jan 15 both were gone. They lie to get production of you.

Vacations die down like crazy after this weekend. We have guys taking dead days this time of year, quite a few at that.

Last edited:

Dumbo

There is some bad advice being given here. My Center hired 19 new permanent drivers for Tuesday through Saturday when we went to Saturday Ground a few months back. A few of them washed out in no time. We picked up a few extra routes from nearby small Centers with an expansion to our Hub. We are also getting an automated Small Sort installed. UPS is expecting more volume from online sales. Those large pieces of furniture we are getting is because they are too big for the Post Office and Amazon contractors. People are getting too lazy to pick up at a store that offers free shipping, the big stuff is a trend that is not going away. We had to go hiring full-time drivers off the street because either the part-time Hub people don't want to bid on full-time package or aren't qualified. HelloBrown1978 may be getting hired under similar circumstances. Being on the bottom may mean laid off a day here and there, but I think he isn't being hired just for Peak Season.

Thanks for this. I know it may seem like I'm trying to bury my head in the sand but the HR guy who hired me did say a lot washed out. When I asked him why they were hiring so many off he street and if it caused any animosity between warehouse people trying to get a driver job he explained it just like you just did. He said this is a golden opportunity. I also have business degree and 15 years of management experience and he seemed to imply they like to groom these people for higher positions.

It just seems so off that they would post a full time position and then basically mislead the new hires. For example people leaving jobs for one that is documented on their website as full time permanent and then they don't let them work, that family loses their house, and all because UPS fabricated a full time job posting. It seems like that could get them into legal trouble. I point blank asked him if this was temporary and he told me absolutely not. It was permanent.

Faceplanted

Thanks for this. I know it may seem like I'm trying to bury my head in the sand but the HR guy who hired me did say a lot washed out. When I asked him why they were hiring so many off he street and if it caused any animosity between warehouse people trying to get a driver job he explained it just like you just did. He said this is a golden opportunity. I also have business degree and 15 years of management experience and he seemed to imply they like to groom these people for higher positions.

It just seems so off that they would post a full time position and then basically mislead the new hires. For example people leaving jobs for one that is documented on their website as full time permanent and then they don't let them work, that family loses their house, and all because UPS fabricated a full time job posting. It seems like that could get them into legal trouble. I point blank asked him if this was temporary and he told me absolutely not. It was permanent.
They are not fabricating. They hired you as full time perminant. Our contract between ups and the union states that you have to make seniority aka 30 days before oct 15th. If you don't ups can classify you as seasonal and cut you come jan 15. It's all on paper my friend.

I qualified during peak as a tcd many contracts ago, it can happen. It rarely does. In my hub I never seen it happen in the past 2 contracts.

Dumbo

The new driver you spoke with doesn't even know what a contract is or what his progression is most likely. He has been working because vacations are in full swing. That stops next week and in oct nobody takes vacation.

We have been in the front lines for years. It doesn't matter if he thinks he's permanent it matters what ups classifies him as and if he gets his 30 days before oct 15.

I'll tell you for the last time... HR lies. Supervisors lie, they won't tell you your seasonal, they will tell you "buSt your ass for us and we'll make sure you stay". Come Jan 15 see you later. We have all see it happen. It's sad to watch. I personally saw this happen to 2 drivers this past peak. They told me managment told them keep busting it out and you will be perminant. Jan 15 both were gone. They lie to get production of you.

Vacations die down like crazy after this weekend. We have guys taking dead days this time of year, quite a few at that.

I'm not saying this isn't possible. I'm terrified of that happening. But I'm wondering if because of the new Amazon warehouse that just opened in town and being told they are way behind and can't keep up, that just maybe they are being honest and I really am going to stay full time ..

Dumbo

So if I'm starting on Tuesday the 5th...wouldn't I easily make 30 days before Oct 15? The guy who has been coming through my last job was working every day.

Faceplanted

I'm not saying this isn't possible. I'm terrified of that happening. But I'm wondering if because of the new Amazon warehouse that just opened in town and being told they are way behind and can't keep up, that just maybe they are being honest and I really am going to stay full time ..
Amazon is staring to move their own volume. We recently lost tons of Amazon to contractors. If they are building a warehouse close to you why would they need ups for local deliveries? They have the contractors come right to Amazon and pick up the packages to deliver for the day. Ups gets totally cut out on the local side. Ups will gain some volume though for other hubs in the area if Amazon deams it too far for contractors, but that will result in a few more feeder runs or warehouse workers

Dumbo

Around these parts October is layoff/dead day city. Not much work from the mid of sept till nov.

FYI it's 30 working days

That doesn't mean they HAVE to cut you after the holidays though right? I mean they can decide to keep me on, right?

Faceplanted

That doesn't mean they HAVE to cut you after the holidays though right? I mean they can decide to keep me on, right?
You would have to start your 30 again. It's dead slow after peak and vacations don't start up real heavy until may. If you don't get your 30 before oct 15 chances are on jan 15 they will sit you down and tell you what's going to happen. I saw lots of sad faces the evening of Jan 15 this past year.

There is a slim to none chances they will actually need drivers and just qualify you during peak and than you would end up perminant full time.

Bonbon

Well behaved women rarely make history
You would have to start your 30 again. It's dead slow after peak and vacations don't start up real heavy until may. If you don't get your 30 before oct 15 chances are on jan 15 they will sit you down and tell you what's going to happen. I saw lots of sad faces the evening of Jan 15 this past year.

There is a slim to none chances they will actually need drivers and just qualify you during peak and than you would end up perminant full time.
I know his area and I know that they are pretty desperate for drivers and have been for a while. Not sure this is the case

Faceplanted

I know his area and I know that they are pretty desperate for drivers and have been for a while. Not sure this is the case
Best of luck to him. I'm going off what iv seen and what iv read on here. Come jan-feb tons of threads about being "on call" and not getting used. This peak will be very interesting with the use of people and their personal vehicles to deliver.

Bonbon

Well behaved women rarely make history
Best of luck to him. I'm going off what iv seen and what iv read on here. Come jan-feb tons of threads about being "on call" and not getting used.
Oh trust me I'm fully aware of all the scary posts. I read them when I was new. I've already warned him that he'll have to work his ass off for this. I'm in his area and I got the call three weeks after Christmas asking me to consider being a driver and I only applied to be a driver helper during peak season! UPS is so different area to area.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Why do that though? They have a whole separate area of the job applications page for seasonal/temp jobs. My job was under full time permanent jobs area. If that was the case why wouldn't they just post it under the seasonal jobs page?

I asked the HR guy point blank if this was permanent and he said absolutely it was. I told him I was leaving a 15 year job and am the sole bread winner to my family and he said no worries, it's permanent.

Would you have applied if the ad said seasonal or temporary or whatever they choose to call it?

There's your answer

jaker

trolling
Are you just ignoring the question , what state do you work in and again is different across the us . So again what state do you work in