Need a little encouragement (On Topic)

Dumbo

Our hub has been hiring off the street drivers for months now, I believe it's because of the new Amazon warehouse.

I was hired off the street and leaving a 15 year job to be a full time permanent package car driver. There is a ton of risk for me in doing this. I have 3 young kids and my wife stays home.

I am a really hard worker and I will not give up. I'm typically a really likeable guy and get along with most people. The HR guy offered me the job on the spot. I was the only guy who showed up in that interview time slot with a suit and tie.

I have my uniform and report Tuesday for training. I literally have all the DOK and commentary memorized.

Reading these threads, there seems to be major inconsistency in how new drivers are trained. I've read the new hire thread but it's all back and forth random questions and unrelated commentary. Could somebody tell me what the actual 30 day packet process is? Do they drive around with you after the first week?

The biggest concern I have is reading these forums its hard to come across legit info. So many responses are sarcastic one liners, and there appears to be a high risk of just being let go and that they have pretty much look for any reason to let you go before your 30 days. All I read is management is evil and constantly telling at you.

I would love to hear from people as to how forgiving they really are. If I don't memorize an entire city layout in a couple weeks are they going to fire me? Are they going to keep throwing me out on different routes every day? I have had really bad anxiety with this new job change and I am doing everything I can to be the best I can be. Can anybody point me to a good thread that has a easy layout of FAQ for new package car drivers?

I would love to hear from people who have been recently hired and if they had a good experience with their training and supervisors. Thanks

Last edited:

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Just won a FT bid myself so here's my experience.
1- environment differs wildly among centers. My center is very laid back. Yours might not be.
2- training is inconsistent. Ask veteran drivers when you don't know something
3- don't miss businesses and don't crash during your 30 days. Work at a brisk pace but don't be a runner gunner.
4- Your sup will ride with you for at least the first 3 days.
5- Study your qualifying route at home. Look at google maps, memorize where businesses are etc. Don't be afraid to use your GPS but wean yourself off of it.
6- sort your truck during lunch. (I DON'T do this simply because I'm currently lucky enough to have a preload sup load my truck)
7- You will be qualifying on the same route (probably). That's how it works at my center.
8- You may not be out qualifying every day consecutively. I keep getting roped back in to do preload and EAMs based on need.
9- UPS does not communicate well. When in doubt, ask. Err on the side of caution.
10- Always communicate with your ORS. If you're done by 4pm, don't go back, punch out then disappear. Offer to help etc.

Future

Victory Ride
Just won a FT bid myself so here's my experience.
1- environment differs wildly among centers. My center is very laid back. Yours might not be.
2- training is inconsistent. Ask veteran drivers when you don't know something
3- don't miss businesses and don't crash during your 30 days. Work at a brisk pace but don't be a runner gunner.
4- Your sup will ride with you for at least the first 3 days.
5- Study your qualifying route at home. Look at google maps, memorize where businesses are etc. Don't be afraid to use your GPS but wean yourself off of it.
6- sort your truck during lunch. (I DON'T do this simply because I'm currently lucky enough to have a preload sup load my truck)
7- You will be qualifying on the same route (probably). That's how it works at my center.
8- You may not be out qualifying every day consecutively. I keep getting roped back in to do preload and EAMs based on need.
9- UPS does not communicate well. When in doubt, ask. Err on the side of caution.
10- Always communicate with your ORS. If you're done by 4pm, don't go back, punch out then disappear. Offer to help etc.
I like your analysis ..... but number 6?

Future

Victory Ride
What about 6? I've always been told to sort the truck during your hour long lunch. I don't because my truck is in stupidly good order because a preload sup is loading it. (He's helping on a training pull.)
Bro ... your lunch is away from work..... you shouldn't even be looking at a pkg ...while on break

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Bro ... your lunch is away from work..... you shouldn't even be looking at a pkg ...while on break
True, although the jury seems to be out (both at work and here at BC) on whether or not you should take the full hour or use that time to sort your truck. Personally I work through lunch which I know is taboo among the veteran drivers but for me, an hour is too long to sit with a truck full of boxes.

I wasn't advocating that he shouldn't punch out if he takes lunch etc.

Future

Victory Ride
True, although the jury seems to be out (both at work and here at BC) on whether or not you should take the full hour or use that time to sort your truck. Personally I work through lunch which I know is taboo among the veteran drivers but for me, an hour is too long to sit with a truck full of boxes.

I wasn't advocating that he shouldn't punch out if he takes lunch etc.
Many centers ...will only dock you for exact time spent on lunch ...for example ...you only took a 20 min lunch period ...they will pay u for the rest ....above all put the exact (down too the minute) time in which u took your break

Dumbo

Am I safe to assume that being hired as a "full time permanent package car driver" means that they actually work you minimum 40 hours per week and that they indeed invest in your future there? This is a huge pay cut for me to start so I hope it's not one of those things where they only need me some days.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Many centers ...will only dock you for exact time spent on lunch ...for example ...you only took a 20 min lunch period ...they will pay u for the rest ....above all put the exact (down too the minute) time in which u took your break

That's good to know especially if I decide to stop for lunch.

Future

Victory Ride
Am I safe to assume that being hired as a "full time permanent package car driver" means that they actually work you minimum 40 hours per week and that they indeed invest in your future there? This is a huge pay cut for me to start so I hope it's not one of those things where they only need me some days.
Have you been hired as a full time driver?

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs

Judging by your post, you are most likely a FT Bid driver, meaning that you are technically a full-time driver but they will use you based on their specific needs and seniority.

I really hope they didn't hire you as a reg-temp driver advertised as "full time permanent."

Either way there may be days that you go in and they don't need you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Good chance they'll only work you as needed

Until you get some seniority

Dumbo

Yes that was what the HR guy told me and what was quoted in the job posting, but then I see people in here saying they tell people not to come in some days.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Stress and anxiety and you haven't even put on a uniform yet...that is not a good sign. You want to be cool and relaxed out there. The training is by far the easiest portion.

Just remember that UPS might hold you back from making 30 working days, prior to the free period. If you're good for peak, they might re-hire you....

The most important thing, JMO, forget about the 'veteran" drivers opinions, except those that worked the route you will be doing. You'll probably get some advice without asking for it, at times (know-it-alls), and then on the other hand, get a rolling eyes and snide remark from others when you have a question. A lot of bitter people around. Go to your supervisor/management team with questions, or again, a driver that is helpful and has run the route you'll be training on. Most everything else is going to be irrelevant and/or irritating. ;)