Need advice?

Moe25

hello i have been with ups over a year now.I'm originally from Algeria,which is a Islam religion country. Since i have been unloading,the sorters im unloading to would shout "terrorist" directed at me or come on :censored2:en terrorist" as to hurry up. I know they are high senority guys and are cool woth sups that around which i know they probzbly her that as well. Should i go ahead and report this.i dont wanna risk my jobs by doing this though.any advice?

SafeYARDdog

hello i have been with ups over a year now.I'm originally from Algeria,which is a Islam religion country. Since i have been unloading,the sorters im unloading to would shout "terrorist" directed at me or come on :censored2:en terrorist" as to hurry up. I know they are high senority guys and are cool woth sups that around which i know they probzbly her that as well. Should i go ahead and report this.i dont wanna risk my jobs by doing this though.any advice?

You won't risk anything by reporting that. If i were you, i would talk to human resource/ full-time supervisor then ask to move to loading or another area.
ps: Next time, give them a finger.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Ignore them. If they keep it up, give them a tired / bored smile as if to convey "this doesn't bother me and please come up with something original." If you let them know it bothers you, they win.

Find your Union steward. Explain the situation. Tell him if it doesn't stop you are going to talk to management. Reiterate how uncomfortable these people are making you. Give the steward a chance to make them stop. You could also call your business agent and do the same. These people who are talking to you like this could get fired for this. As union brothers and sister this isn't what we are supposed to do. Try and be the better person and find a solution that won't hurt you brother.

As a side note 20 years ago when I was a par timer I was known as someone that would tell someone who was a prick like this that I could meet them somewhere. If they met me I'd fight them. The new ups is a zero tolerance for workplace violence now days and they will fore you in a heart beat. I've watched people lose it almost every time at the JAC.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Get with your steward and inform him of the problem, see if he can defuse the situation with a one on one conversation with the offender. If this fails is take it to management with said steward who can confirm they attempted to settle this with no resolve. If a conversation with your management team and steward ( always have a steward with you), inform them both that you'll be going above them until it does get resolved.

You have every right to perform your work in a harassment free environment. The offender may think he's funny and not mean any malice, or he may just be a prick, either way you have a choice to do something. You can either lay down or stand up, your choice.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
They are probably joking, however this is the mind set of highschoolers. If you feel they are disrespecting you then try telling them that one on one. I'm sure if you are sincere they will stop. If they don't stop then definitely report it. You are a grown man and shouldn't have to deal with immature situations like that at work.

MassWineGuy

I have to reframe from the 100 inappropriate responded that I have.

I think you mean refrain. But anyhow, these coworkers are complete morons. Definitely report this to the shop steward, business manager, etc. Keep going up the chain until you get results. With all the negative publicity UPS has gotten lately I doubt they'll ignore this situation.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
What ever happened to the BROTHERHOOD of teamsters? You never see this kind of s--t in my center and the union guys are always looking out for each other in one way or another. Quarrels are a rare sight.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
They are probably joking, however this is the mind set of highschoolers.
Find your Union steward. Explain the situation. Tell him if it doesn't stop you are going to talk to management. Reiterate how uncomfortable these people are making you. Give the steward a chance to make them stop. You could also call your business agent and do the same. These people who are talking to you like this could get fired for this. As union brothers and sister this isn't what we are supposed to do. Try and be the better person and find a solution that won't hurt you brother.

Put the onus, on the Local Union to help resolve the issue.

It shows a sign of solidarity with your fellow Union brothers.

Going to the company, should be the last resort.

Once they are involved.... there's no going back.

-Bug-

BrownTexas

Why should he go to his steward? A steward isn't a baby sitter. They are there to educate and make the company live up to the contract. Not tell someone to stop being a bully.

rod

Retired 22 years

That is painful to read on so many levels.