Negative comments by a fellow employee - how to handle situation

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Fyi calling someone "old guy" isnt discrimination if it isnt management doing it.
Dediol wasn’t able to prove the hostile remarks were related to any employment action, and neither can your friend. I would advise your friend to learn to ignore co workers.

DISCRIMINATION

the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

Calling someone old guy doesn't meet the bar.

I agree with your assessment about discrimination, but harassment doesn't have to come from management. They may have trouble proving that "old guy" meets the definition of harassment, though, depends on circumstances.

browntroll

alot of ppl in my hub have nicknames over the smallest things but ppl do have boundaries and limits its about understanding
what those are. had one guy threaten me but had a talk with a shop steward since i believe it
was a union problem not something to get management or HR involved, basically got told guy has issues to just listen in one ear out
the other cause guy is all talk. i never threaten ppl at work nor do i go in there trying to make someone feel like :censored2:.
i get called old nig*** by new hires but im not even black, but i take it as a compliment lol.

Heavy Package

Have a friend who is being harassed by a younger guy who continually calls him the "old guy". I pointed this out to my friend that this is age discrimination and is an amendment to the Civil Rights act of 1964.

This country is doomed because of this kind of crap. Go walk on some eggshells at FedEx.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Have a friend who is being harassed by a younger guy who continually calls him the "old guy". I pointed this out to my friend that this is age discrimination and is an amendment to the Civil Rights act of 1964. My friend can report it to EEOC. When it is a fellow employee would you go to the full time management, HR, call the 800 #. So far, my friend has not said anything to this individual. These two individuals are two different races. I know you cannot file a grievance against another co-worker so what solutions do you offer? DO NOT SAY CALL JENNY. This is not funny. Thanks for any positive feedback. In this hub there have been a lot of fights recently with this kind of stuff going on. Management has been lax about getting involved.
Waah, he called me a name!

What a big...
122-yawn-cat-gifs-cats-38979845-500-277.gif

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Triggered you though!

FELLOW WORKER, YOU WILL NOW TAKE AN OBLIGATION THAT WILL BIND YOU TO THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS AND THIS LOCAL UNION, AND THAT WILL IN NO WAY CONFLICT WITH YOUR RELIGIOUS BELIEF OR YOUR DUTIES AS A CITIZEN:

I, (GIVE NAME) , PLEDGE MY HONOR TO FAITHFULLY OBSERVE THE CONSTITUTION AND THE LAWS OF THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS AND THE BY-LAWS AND LAWS OF THIS LOCAL UNION.

I PLEDGE THAT I WILL COMPLY WITH ALL THE RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF THE INTERNATIONAL UNION AND THIS LOCAL UNION.

I WILL FAITHFULLY PERFORM ALL THE DUTIES ASSIGNED TO ME TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY AND SKILL.

I WILL CONDUCT MYSELF AT ALL TIMES IN A MANNER AS NOT TO BRING REPROACH UPON MY UNION.

I SHALL TAKE AN AFFIRMATIVE PART IN THE BUSINESS AND ACTIVITIES OF THE UNION AND ACCEPT AND DISCHARGE MY RESPONSIBILITIES DURING ANY AUTHORIZED STRIKE OR LOCKOUT.

I PLEDGE NOT TO DIVULGE TO NON-MEMBERS THE PRIVATE BUSINESS OF THIS LOCAL UNION, UNLESS AUTHORIZED TO REVEAL SAME.

I WILL NEVER KNOWINGLY HARM A FELLOW MEMBER.

I WILL NEVER DISCRIMINATE AGAINST A FELLOW WORKER ON ACCOUNT OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, AGE, PHYSICAL DISABILITY, OR NATURAL ORIGIN.

I WILL REFRAIN FROM ANY CONDUCT THAT WOULD INTERFERE WITH THE UNION’S PERFORMANCE OF ITS LEGAL OR CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS.

I WILL AT ALL TIMES BEAR TRUE AND FAITHFUL ALLEGIANCE TO THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS AND THIS LOCAL UNION.
Thank you sir. May I have another?

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Have you heard the so called old guy complain to you about this young guy calling him old? Did you ever think he does this because him and the old guy have an ongoing back in forth just for fun? I would talk to this so called old guy and ask him if it bothers him first. If it does explain to him their are ways to combat through the union. If not stop wasting your time worrying about him and stop being a cry baby about something that doesn't even bother the person involved. We all joke around at my building and know what we say is not serious conversation. It's called giving each other crap, it's what gets us through the day at a job that can be mundane.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
With 38 years of service with this outfit, I lost count of how many junior drivers came up to me and commented about how old I was, and wasn't I ready to retire yet so they could move up a spot in seniority? I just took it with a grain of salt. Didn't bother me in the least.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
With 38 years of service with this outfit, I lost count of how many junior drivers came up to me and commented about how old I was, and wasn't I ready to retire yet so they could move up a spot in seniority? I just took it with a grain of salt. Didn't bother me in the least.

It's more fun to tell them you've got 20 years to go.

Kamikaze

Have a friend who is being harassed by a younger guy who continually calls him the "old guy". I pointed this out to my friend that this is age discrimination and is an amendment to the Civil Rights act of 1964. My friend can report it to EEOC. When it is a fellow employee would you go to the full time management, HR, call the 800 #. So far, my friend has not said anything to this individual. These two individuals are two different races. I know you cannot file a grievance against another co-worker so what solutions do you offer? DO NOT SAY CALL JENNY. This is not funny. Thanks for any positive feedback. In this hub there have been a lot of fights recently with this kind of stuff going on. Management has been lax about getting involved.
Snitch and email the CEO
[email protected]

Damn your old

D18BF708-45D3-446B-9CE4-736001159BFE.gif