Negative comments by a fellow employee - how to handle situation

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Have a friend who is being harassed by a younger guy who continually calls him the "old guy". I pointed this out to my friend that this is age discrimination and is an amendment to the Civil Rights act of 1964. My friend can report it to EEOC. When it is a fellow employee would you go to the full time management, HR, call the 800 #. So far, my friend has not said anything to this individual. These two individuals are two different races. I know you cannot file a grievance against another co-worker so what solutions do you offer? DO NOT SAY CALL JENNY. This is not funny. Thanks for any positive feedback. In this hub there have been a lot of fights recently with this kind of stuff going on. Management has been lax about getting involved.
You're making a mountain out of a molehill. and i don't believe there has "been lots of fights recently " that is automatic termination these days.

1. today's solution; distance yourself and ignore.

2. back in the day solution: tell him to STFU

3. old school solution: wait in the parking lot and punch his lights out.

#1 is unfortunately the only way to go now.

Have a friend who is being harassed by a younger guy who continually calls him the "old guy". I pointed this out to my friend that this is age discrimination and is an amendment to the Civil Rights act of 1964. My friend can report it to EEOC. When it is a fellow employee would you go to the full time management, HR, call the 800 #. So far, my friend has not said anything to this individual. These two individuals are two different races. I know you cannot file a grievance against another co-worker so what solutions do you offer? DO NOT SAY CALL JENNY. This is not funny. Thanks for any positive feedback. In this hub there have been a lot of fights recently with this kind of stuff going on. Management has been lax about getting involved.
I don’t really see a problem here. I think you are the one with the problem.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
My suggestion is you let the 'old guy' handle it. Not only is it none of your business but also, being older, he's probably got more life experience and wisdom to handle the situation. If he ASKS you to help, tell him he can contact HR about the situation.
You're making a mountain out of a molehill. and i don't believe there has "been lots of fights recently " that is automatic termination these days.

1. today's solution; distance yourself and ignore.

2. back in the day solution: tell him to STFU

#1 is unfortunately the only way to go now.

Well put!

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
I’m well aware of that. Without more information, I fail to see how this applies to the “old guy” in question.
Well yeah neither do I. Plus I think It depends on the way he is saying it. Maybe he thinks of it as a nickname kind of like someone would say, "whats up pops?" not saying it in a negative way.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I know you cannot file a grievance against another co-worker so what solutions do you offer?

Your "friend" should contact the Steward and the BA.

An informal meeting between the parties, can result in a positive outcome.

Call the cops.

If it is that serious, absolutely.

Is there more to the story?

There always is....

Can be kicked out of the union for snitching on a Teamster.

That is incorrect and also a foolish position.

A member can file charges against another member.

The Local Union Executive Board would hear the charges, and process them.

And, can impose sanctions.

Of course.... there is an appeal process.

I WILL NEVER KNOWINGLY HARM A FELLOW MEMBER.

I WILL NEVER DISCRIMINATE AGAINST A FELLOW WORKER ON ACCOUNT OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, AGE, PHYSICAL DISABILITY, OR NATURAL ORIGIN.

Yep.

But, how many members have ever been to a Local Union membership meeting ?

Let alone, been sworn in and have recited that pledge.

Fyi calling someone "old guy" isnt discrimination if it isnt management doing it.

It's OK to call the IBT General President hogfa, or MF'k other labor leaders....

And, someone is appalled by being called old ?

In freight, that used to happen.

Now, they just take a dump in someone's lunch box....

Or smear axle grease on the door handles of their car.

Times have changed.

-Bug-

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm an "old guy" and I wouldn't have a problem with a co-worker calling me that. I have always pulled my own weight and I never screw over anybody that I work with. I mind my own business. I've earned that respect over the years, I treat everybody the same way that I expect to be treated. The old Golden Rule.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
I hope dude has his head on str8. When first started preload, I befriended all the potential "shooters" just so I can make sure I knew where their heads at.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Quit being a pusillanimous

See what the eeoc has to say about that

SMH!!

rickyb

i usually ask nicely the first time, and then growl and yell and talk to management the second time

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Funny, before I retired, being the "old guy" was a badge of honor. You had been through ALL of the sh#t, and come out the other side the winner. Being called a newbie, rook, millennial, fresh meat, dead man walkin', etc. were the derogatory things you didn't want to be called. So many young guys would come up and ask me how it was possible to make it 30+ years. Most of them get it. Ones that don't see the value in the senior employees usually don't make it very long themselves.

I guess we're all assuming, at least I am, that your old dude is a vet. If he's a newbie old guy, then he's just gotta suck it up. Most new guys go through some sort of new guy issues. I remember when I first started, some guy screaming at me while unloading trailers daily. I thought he was management. Found out months later he was just a guy with 6 months more than me...lesson learned. He was fired within the year, justice...lol.

Last edited:

john chesney

Omg you can’t even call the old guy the old guy. You work at ups and this is your biggest problem? This got to be the stupidest thing I ever heard of.

brostalss

Should we create a safe space at your Hub? Maybe some crayons and play-doh? A comfort pet perhaps?

It's his problem not your problem and don't make it your problem either.

Oceanview

What about the term old skool? Btw I know how to spell school. I call all the 15+year drivers old skool. They thought me everything I know.

rod

Retired 22 years
Old guys take piddily crap like that with a grain of salt. They aren't like the younger generation who get their panties tied in a knot over the silliest thing. Us old guys have many ways to get even IF we want to.