Nervous on banks?

bacha29

I'm sure you guys saw today that First Citizen Bancshares was given the go ahead to pay 16 billion dollars in exchange for 72 billion in Silicone Valley Bank Assets.

vantexan

People are so desperate for dollars there with they are wiring $ to themselves. Inflation over %100
I was there. People are buying dollars to hang on to their wealth. But you can't get dollars at Western Union. If you send yourself say $1000 USD from your account in the States you'll get over $1900 worth of Pesos from Western Union. But you'll get Pesos, not Dollars. To get Dollars you'll have to go to a "cueva", an "illegal" exchange house or casa de cambio. You'll have to pay the "blue" rate to buy dollars. And when you're there you'll find Western Union shops handle a lot of different kinds of transactions, not just WU. So usually there's a line. There's no air of desperation. The Argentines are very use to having financial meltdowns. They've defaulted on their national debt at least 9 times. This is just another way we get manipulated by our media in the U.S.

bacha29

Hey, where's this "Silicone" Valley? Now that's where I want to go!
Correction the discount was 16B . Treasury and FDIC would have never allowed the purchase price to be 16B. And BTW You have to be very careful handling a silicone rack. I was at a brothel once. Lea looked spectacular in hers but she asked that I use proper care with them.

Over70irregs

I was there. People are buying dollars to hang on to their wealth. But you can't get dollars at Western Union. If you send yourself say $1000 USD from your account in the States you'll get over $1900 worth of Pesos from Western Union. But you'll get Pesos, not Dollars. To get Dollars you'll have to go to a "cueva", an "illegal" exchange house or casa de cambio. You'll have to pay the "blue" rate to buy dollars. And when you're there you'll find Western Union shops handle a lot of different kinds of transactions, not just WU. So usually there's a line. There's no air of desperation. The Argentines are very use to having financial meltdowns. They've defaulted on their national debt at least 9 times. This is just another way we get manipulated by our media in the U.S.
  • The "blue dollar" exchange rate set by the black market will extend U.S. tourists' money twice as far as the officially quoted rate. You can legally access that rate by wiring yourself money.

vantexan

• The "blue dollar" exchange rate set by the black market will extend U.S. tourists' money twice as far as the officially quoted rate. You can legally access that rate by wiring yourself money.
Western Union's rate is almost always a little less than the blue rate. But still what you get makes Argentina extremely affordable for Americans. Europeans too.

Over70irregs

(MUST BE NICE)
The Fed thus set up the Bank Term Funding Program (BTFP) to provide liquidity to U.S. depository institutions. Under the program, each Federal Reserve Bank would make cash advances to eligible borrowers, taking as collateral certain types of securities (those that can be purchased by Federal Reserve Banks in open market operations). Eligible borrowers include any U.S. federally insured bank, savings association, credit union, or U.S. branch or agency of a foreign bank.

bacha29

(MUST BE NICE)
The Fed thus set up the Bank Term Funding Program (BTFP) to provide liquidity to U.S. depository institutions. Under the program, each Federal Reserve Bank would make cash advances to eligible borrowers, taking as collateral certain types of securities (those that can be purchased by Federal Reserve Banks in open market operations). Eligible borrowers include any U.S. federally insured bank, savings association, credit union, or U.S. branch or agency of a foreign bank.
Good piece of information. So in the end it will likely mean another round of bank merger/consolidation/buyout etc, with a lot of people losing their jobs and an industry even more dependent on the Federal Reserve to help it survive.