New 22.4 Hire: Looking For Position Specific Info, Thanks!

Mtnbkr583

Hi,

I've just been offered a 22.4 Combination Driver position out of the Farmingville, NY UPS location. The "interview" was extremely basic, barely asked anything about me, other than my driving record.
I also learned the position is part-time until approximately 40-70 days. So, I have a couple 22.4 questions:

- Do they mass hire for this position? I'm wondering if I'll be one of a large number of folks competing for very few actual friend/T positions as 22.4
- Anyone have experience as a 22.4? From searching, it appears to be quite new. The HR said they hire regular package car drivers out of 22.4, but I'm wondering how realistic that is?
- I know of a former co-worker who was hired as a legit friend/T package car driver (not 22.4) as an external hire- when that happens (which I've heard is pretty uncommon compared to internal promotion), is that a more thorough interview process than what I just had?

Thank you!!

Mtnbkr583

Thanks!
I’m really curious what the differences would be for someone who is an external hire that actually comes on as a regular FT package car driver- more thorough interviews and it not being like a “mass hire” sort of thing.
I’ve been a retail store manager for almost ten years, so it’s a big switch.

Thanks!
I’m really curious what the differences would be for someone who is an external hire that actually comes on as a regular FT package car driver- more thorough interviews and it not being like a “mass hire” sort of thing.
You have no idea. Better get some running shoes.

upschuck

Thanks!
No more outside hires for rpcds, I believe.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The way I understand the new contract, only 25% of the drivers in a Center can be 22.4s. They will get first chance to bid on full-time routes when those come open.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thanks!
Ask @MyTripisCut he is our resident scab since Dave left.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
08E13DCD-D437-4B1B-9C5C-8C64E82E1FDD.jpeg
Nobody knows what a 22.4 job involves.

My best guess is you are going to do the same job for less money

Good luck

542thruNthru

Hi,

I've just been offered a 22.4 Combination Driver position out of the Farmingville, NY UPS location. The "interview" was extremely basic, barely asked anything about me, other than my driving record.
I also learned the position is part-time until approximately 40-70 days. So, I have a couple 22.4 questions:

- Do they mass hire for this position? I'm wondering if I'll be one of a large number of folks competing for very few actual friend/T positions as 22.4
- Anyone have experience as a 22.4? From searching, it appears to be quite new. The HR said they hire regular package car drivers out of 22.4, but I'm wondering how realistic that is?
- I know of a former co-worker who was hired as a legit friend/T package car driver (not 22.4) as an external hire- when that happens (which I've heard is pretty uncommon compared to internal promotion), is that a more thorough interview process than what I just had?

Thank you!!

Anyone else find this PT thing a little suspicious?

Screenshot_20190628-203152_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

22.4s are not PT. They are Full Time jobs. Why they would tell you this makes me believe they plan on doing the old bait and switch. Says you'll be 22.4 but make you a PT employee.

542thruNthru

I don't know what supplmental he's under but I also don't have any New York tentative agreements. Mainly because they are irrelevant like their baseball teams. Right @Covemastah ;)

Anyone happen to have it?

PT Car Washer

Anyone else find this PT thing a little suspicious?

View attachment 253639

22.4s are not PT. They are Full Time jobs. Why they would tell you this makes me believe they plan on doing the old bait and switch. Says you'll be 22.4 but make you a PT employee.
Happens all the time at my building. If you DQ a FT driving job you are offered a PT air driving job with the promise of another chance in 6 months. Then you work 10 hour days running ground because we are so short of drivers. But you are gaining experience for the next time you attempt to qualify.