New 22.4

BrownAndDown1

Hey guys I’ve been with UPS for about 4 months working PT in local sort. There was a lot of talk about us getting 20 new routes and needing drivers. We finally got the 10 in NC and we are suppose to be getting the other 10 in a local city about 45 minutes from our center. The list finally went up back in September I signed two 22.4 list and a RTD list all around that time. I got the 22.4 job and just completed driving school this week. I know since we are heading into peak I’ve heard the horror stories of management using new guys like myself and then dropping us after peak but I’m just curious what your opinions are being that we are in need of the drivers to cover those new routes we picked up. Thanks!

542thruNthru

Hey guys I’ve been with UPS for about 4 months working PT in local sort. There was a lot of talk about us getting 20 new routes and needing drivers. We finally got the 10 in NC and we are suppose to be getting the other 10 in a local city about 45 minutes from our center. The list finally went up back in September I signed two 22.4 list and a RTD list all around that time. I got the 22.4 job and just completed driving school this week. I know since we are heading into peak I’ve heard the horror stories of management using new guys like myself and then dropping us after peak but I’m just curious what your opinions are being that we are in need of the drivers to cover those new routes we picked up. Thanks!
"You are too concerned with what was and what will be. There is a saying: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it is call the present."

You got the job. Just go to work, focus on qualifying and stop worrying about something you can't change.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Sounds like wherever you are, there is a need for drivers. With that being said, work safely and efficiently. If you work hard and keep your head down I'd say there's a good chance you'll be around after mid January.

BrownAndDown1

"You are too concerned with what was and what will be. There is a saying: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it is call the present."

You got the job. Just go to work, focus on qualifying and stop worrying about something you can't change.
So I’ve been told by some senior guys that your scratch and qualify don’t count during peak they said I wouldn’t be able to qualify until after January. I still don’t understand scratch?

DriverNerd

So I’ve been told by some senior guys that your scratch and qualify don’t count during peak they said I wouldn’t be able to qualify until after January. I still don’t understand scratch?
UPS assigns a "planned day" based on how much work you did. The computers take all the information from miles, commercial, residential, number of packages, numbers of pickups, etc and assigns an amount of time it should take (according to them) to complete all of that. Scratch would be if the amount of time you completed the day was the same as what the computer said you should have.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
We are starting three guys into their packet right now. According to our center manager, if they get their first 3 days in prior to Nov 1, they can use their peak drive days towards their packet.

Sounds tough to me. We live in an area where we could see 150 inches of snow by New Years.

BrownAndDown1

We are starting three guys into their packet right now. According to our center manager, if they get their first 3 days in prior to Nov 1, they can use their peak drive days towards their packet.

Sounds tough to me. We live in an area where we could see 150 inches of snow by New Years.
That’s crazy, luckily no snow for me here in eastern SC. Occasionally ice but rare