New 8's

JackStraw

The new 8's are Freightliners. I do believe the company is going gasolline. Not sure why,but if I were to guess it would be to save $. They are super quiet,automatic and have the low step. The 10's are Workhorses and comparable.

reydluap

UPS is going to gasoline engines. The maintenance cost with the new emissions on the diesels are make them cost prohibitive.

Big Babooba

We got a couple of the new plastic 700s. They are on a Isuzu chassis with diesel engines. They have separate tanks for Diesel Exhaust Fluid. I am not too impressed with them.

UPSGUY72

I was in a newer p700 for thanksgiving and they are great, but this one would beep with the blinkers, the lights, the brake. The task was to shut the damn thing up so I didnt go crazy.

Those are great some of the new car You have turn the lights off and leave the blinkers on when make a delivery at night or you wake up the whole neighborhood.

jaker

trolling
I have one of the new gas 700 and I love that thing I got it with a 1000 miles on it , now It has 28000

Its fast quiet and the start button works like it supposed to work

And i can get gas for it anywhere , unlike when I had a diesel

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No, kudos to OSHA, the DOT and the labor agreement for requiring the company to include basic safety and ergonomic features in the newer cars. Dont think for one minute that your well-being is or ever has been a factor when deciding what equipment to include or delete from the purchase order; the company's only concern has always been to put the cheapest DOT-legal vehicle they possibly could on the road, and if it got people hurt or killed thats just too damn bad.

That's just not true ... if it makes the driver more productive, they will do it.

DS

Fenderbender
That's just not true ... if it makes the driver more productive, they will do it.
For sure Hoke, if i was king i'd hire soberups as my poet laureate to express my emotions to the people,but his point here is misguided,they never cut corners that will hamper production.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

For sure Hoke, if i was king i'd hire soberups as my poet laureate to express my emotions to the people,but his point here is misguided,they never cut corners that will hamper production.

You just have to hope the nerd in the cubical doing the investigative study had the proper data, insight, and most of all the fortitude to point the company in the right direction.
:geek:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

They were putting high step non-power steering GMC's on the road as recently as the early 90's. Anyone who has ever run a route in one of those things and then switched over to a 700 can attest to the fact that the 700 is way more productive to work out of. Getting in and out of the car is faster; getting turned around in a driveway or cul-de-sac as faster; accelerating to highway speed is faster. You can be a lot more productive when you arent spending 11 hours a day fighting the equipment.

rod

Retired 22 years
They were putting high step non-power steering GMC's on the road as recently as the early 90's. Anyone who has ever run a route in one of those things and then switched over to a 700 can attest to the fact that the 700 is way more productive to work out of. Getting in and out of the car is faster; getting turned around in a driveway or cul-de-sac as faster; accelerating to highway speed is faster. You can be a lot more productive when you arent spending 11 hours a day fighting the equipment.

I remember feeling like I had died and gone to heaven when I talked them into replacing my high step 800 with a new diesel International 7 cube with power steering (actually it was the only new package car I ever had in 30 years). They didn't want to do it because they didn't think they could fit my load into a smaller truck but I made it work ------(most days). My preloader hated it at first but after he realized I wouldn't complain about him if he didn't complain about my truck he adjusted to it. I would trade a bricked out 7 for a POS 8 any day. After I retired the guy who took over my route complained about not having the room so they put him back into an 8 cube again. All that got him was more stops because he "had the room".

Tiny Panda

I would be a little worried about putting up a pic! I know you are not allowed to take pics inside the building. They would probably say you was stealing time!!!I trust them as far as i can throw my package car!!

Is that what its like over there? You only have to go on Flickr to find thousands of pics of package cars.

I've had pics inside the building, inside the office, in the yard etc all over my facebook page. Its quite normal for people posing pics of their day even at head office. I documented a chemical spillage in our building on Facebook a few year ago.

This was my P100 on its first day in November, now close to 8000 miles

P1030797.jpg

+1,000,000. If they have these iron
maidens and they aren't getting Ada d then some unlucky teamster has to be the unproductive one. It's called taking one for the team.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Is that what its like over there? You only have to go on Flickr to find thousands of pics of package cars.

I've had pics inside the building, inside the office, in the yard etc all over my facebook page. Its quite normal for people posing pics of their day even at head office. I documented a chemical spillage in our building on Facebook a few year ago.

This was my P100 on its first day in November, now close to 8000 miles

P1030797.jpg

It must take you 3 minutes fold in all those mirrors. Remember fold in the mirrors on busy roads and narrow streets. If somebody hit one of those mirror it will be your fault.