New 8's

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You drivers who spent most of your careers in 8's are real troopers.

I spent my first 10 years or so in 8's and P-6's and 5's with high steps and no power steering. I know guys who did 25 or 30 in them before retiring, and many of them suffer from bursitis and arthritis in their shoulders and wrists from spending an entire career fighting equipment that was intentionally designed by the company to injure them and force them into early retirement.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I spent my first 10 years or so in 8's and P-6's and 5's with high steps and no power steering. I know guys who did 25 or 30 in them before retiring, and many of them suffer from bursitis and arthritis in their shoulders and wrists from spending an entire career fighting equipment that was intentionally designed by the company to injure them and force them into early retirement.

Ah, yes, another Soberups conspiracy theory.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Is Freightliner making walkin trucks again? I looked at all their trucks and they don't have walkin's listed...doesn't mean they don't...just saying...I wouldn't be surprised if it's another workhorse w62 frame. Either way, it'd be nice to get some of those 800's.

soberups

Ah, yes, another Soberups conspiracy theory.

Not conspiracy, merely logic.

A new hire costs the company about $15K less per year to do the same work than a 25 year driver when you factor in the wage differential, vacations, progression, optional holidays, willingess to skip lunch, and the age difference/likelihood of injury.

The easiest and cheapest way to force older, more expensive drivers off of the payroll is to beat them down through the intentional deletion of basic ergonomic and safety features such as low steps and power steering in the equipment that they will spend their careers in. The company saves money on both ends: the cars are a few hundred bucks cheaper, and the drivers who cant fight the equipment any longer will be forced to retire a few months or even years earlier. Dont think for a minute that the company didnt do the math on that one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you seriously suggesting that a UPS beancounter "did the numbers" and found that saving a few bucks upfront would save the company a boatload of money down the road? I don't consider myself to be a naive person but I find your scenario a bit hard to believe.

JackStraw

Freightliner makes the engine. Morgan-Olsen the body.I gotta say tht after 28 yrs of driving its the best truck (and newest) I've ever driven.Hope I don't lose it.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
UPS is going to gasoline engines. The maintenance cost with the new emissions on the diesels are make them cost prohibitive.

Plus the DPF and regeneration process just plain wouldn't work regardless of cost. Imagine starting all the fires after pulling over on route for 20 minutes or so to do it. 12000F! Dealer sez the pavement is getting destroyed in their yard.

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Not conspiracy, merely logic.

A new hire costs the company about $15K less per year to do the same work than a 25 year driver when you factor in the wage differential, vacations, progression, optional holidays, willingess to skip lunch, and the age difference/likelihood of injury.

The easiest and cheapest way to force older, more expensive drivers off of the payroll is to beat them down through the intentional deletion of basic ergonomic and safety features such as low steps and power steering in the equipment that they will spend their careers in. The company saves money on both ends: the cars are a few hundred bucks cheaper, and the drivers who cant fight the equipment any longer will be forced to retire a few months or even years earlier. Dont think for a minute that the company didnt do the math on that one.

I got a circle of honor driver with lees than 2 to go and he loves his old GMC P8! He even gave up a 664 Freightliner P7 to have it back!:knockedout:

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I got a circle of honor driver with lees than 2 to go and he loves his old GMC P8! He even gave up a 664 Freightliner P7 to have it back!:knockedout:
Morgan Olson owns Workehorse if I'm not mistaken...and freightliner only makes diesel motors don't they? Don't they use Detroit Diesel? I was unaware of them making gas motors. I wonder if it's the same 6.0 liter in all the other new trucks...brownwrench, can you shed some light on this?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Morgan Olson owns Workehorse if I'm not mistaken...and freightliner only makes diesel motors don't they? Don't they use Detroit Diesel? I was unaware of them making gas motors. I wonder if it's the same 6.0 liter in all the other new trucks...brownwrench, can you shed some light on this?

Freightliner makes the chassis and Morgan Olson makes the body. From there on there is a variety of engines available including the Mecedes and the 6.0 Chevy. Hence the similarity in appearance between Workhorse and Freightliner P7s. Workhorse and Freightliner both have their own dash assemblies to work with their own proprietary wiring harness and schematic. Freightliner does not make any powertrain components. Freightliner chassis' MB904 is a Mercedes in name, but it is serviced by Detroit Diesel and uses their engine management system and diagnostic software.
Clear as mud?

soberups

Are you seriously suggesting that a UPS beancounter "did the numbers" and found that saving a few bucks upfront would save the company a boatload of money down the road? I don't consider myself to be a naive person but I find your scenario a bit hard to believe.

Yes, that is exactly what I am suggesting. Its all about the money.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

I do believe Freightliner is bought in with Detroit or vice versa with the large(er) trucks. Notice the Freightliner/Mercedes/Dodge Sprinters? Dodge got included during their brief ownership by DaimlerBenz.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I think Workhorse is a division of International, isn't it?

Nope. If that were true we wouldn't have had the migraines we did when we first started having trouble with the VT275 powered P57 Workhorse cars. Workhorse dealer said it was IHC's problem and IHC said it was Workhorse's. Was a bastard stepchild nobody wanted. IHC wasn't prepared for their engine in someone else's chassis and Workhorse's VIN's wouldn't work in their parts system.We had to find engine serial #s to get anywhere!

oldngray

nowhere special
I had a Workhorse and felt like it was a Frankenstein truck made of whatever cheapest parts were available. It had a few nice features but no way it will last as long as the old package cars did.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I had a Workhorse and felt like it was a Frankenstein truck made of whatever cheapest parts were available. It had a few nice features but no way it will last as long as the old package cars did.

Workhorse from P7 on down have been less than great. Endless campaigns annd bulletins. All have been retofitted for body fortifications due to lack of support.Flimsy chassis and goes through springs like popcorn. No, they won't last 20 years. Be lucky to get 10.:whiteflag: An astute observation.