New blood pressure guidelines DOT

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You love to argue. Of course we knew veggies were good for you. But for decades the government put out a food pyramid telling what it consisted of a good diet. Meat and dairy figured prominently. I never heard of a vegan 35 years ago and vegetarians were a very small minority.

What does being a vegetarian have to do with it? Who is advocating vegetarianism?

35 years ago I don't think they had figured out the connection between blood pressure and cholesterol building up plaque in arteries. When I did find out a few things I should've stopped. I didn't. I paid the price for that, not you. I do eat healthier now. And will still probably be killed by the diabetes. It's a progressive disease, and about the best I can hope for is to get the weight off and eat very few carbs. I'm trying. Have dropped 40 lbs since retiring. Again, not as cut and dried as you make it.

I knew too much cholesterol was bad 35 years ago and I was a teenager who didn't care about it and made no effort to seek out that information. I don't know why you are making this out to be such a complex, complicated issue.

59 Dano

This is what galls me. Our whole economic system is geared around masses of poor people working for little so that those in charge can do better. You want them to accept less, but then look down your nose at them for doing so. You're a jackass.

It's none of my business what they accept. If they're as hardheaded, stubborn, and ignorant as you it's not like they'll listen to anyone who won't blow hardheaded, stubborn, and ignorant smoke up their butts.

To entertain your simpleton assessment of our economic system, you couldn't be more wrong (shocking!). "Those in charge" are aware that relying on poor people is a limitation to their ability to "do better" because poor people typically tend to lack skills and aren't very smart.

59 Dano

VT. what Denial 59 doesn't understand is that when you're born into poor families as you and I were you eat what your mother puts in front of you and many times you're damn glad she even had that. Back then healthy eating was having something to eat period.

Amazing logic. "We were lucky to have anything to eat at all. That's why we're so fat." Let me guess, uphill both ways in the snow with no shoes, right?

Being the kid of privilege and entitlement Denial 59 doesn't have a clue about the kind of life you and I and millions of other boomers were born into.

If you're a boomer, you were born and raised during a period of great prosperity. You're not even trying to make sense at this point.

59 Dano

It sure looks that way. After my parents divorce my mom worked two jobs. She often ran us down to McDonald's or similar between jobs. And I don't know where he's from but growing up in the South we ate a lot of fried food.

I'm from the south. Ate plenty of fried food. I don't use "but... but... but.. but I grew up in the SOUTH" as an excuse for things.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I do. You can't really complain about being poor and unhealthy and eat a boat of load of dead animals. Veggies are cheaper, better for you and better for the environment.
7C2468D1-75ED-4A1A-92B2-69391DD5712D.gif

59 Dano

I do. You can't really complain about being poor and unhealthy and eat a boat of load of dead animals. Veggies are cheaper, better for you and better for the environment.

I don't care about the environment to that extent, as I wouldn't notice a change in the environment from quitting meat. I say eat meat if you like it, don't eat it if you don't want to. I don't eat as much of it as I once did because it's easier to fill up on other things. As much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE steak, if you eat it often enough it begins to taste like soap.

Amazing logic. "We were lucky to have anything to eat at all. That's why we're so fat." Let me guess, uphill both ways in the snow with no shoes, right?

If you're a boomer, you were born and raised during a period of great prosperity. You're not even trying to make sense at this point.
Where is the rest of your crew? Mr. FedEx and 7?

vantexan

And they fed us stuff with high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. Both of which have been proven to be a factor in heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. But oh great swami you know all, have got it all figured out.

vantexan

It's none of my business what they accept. If they're as hardheaded, stubborn, and ignorant as you it's not like they'll listen to anyone who won't blow hardheaded, stubborn, and ignorant smoke up their butts.

To entertain your simpleton assessment of our economic system, you couldn't be more wrong (shocking!). "Those in charge" are aware that relying on poor people is a limitation to their ability to "do better" because poor people typically tend to lack skills and aren't very smart.
Look at the huge corporations that rely on labor intensive work and show me one outside of unionized UPS that pays well to it's rank and file? Come on, enlighten this simpleton. Just another reason republicans have turned a blind eye to illegal immigration, it holds wages down. Can't you just admit that it's an exploitative system that you embrace so willingly? And agribusiness is the largest business in the U.S.. Where would they be without the poor masses eating their processed food? Geez you act like I'm responsible for all of this. As I've said already, I am eating better now, have learned a lot over the years, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that a lot of poor get by eating on the run between jobs or are too tired at the end of the day to want to cook beyond throwing a frozen dinner into the microwave. And of course your answer is to attack them for being poor. Jackass.

It will be fine

Look at the huge corporations that rely on labor intensive work and show me one outside of unionized UPS that pays well to it's rank and file? Come on, enlighten this simpleton. Just another reason republicans have turned a blind eye to illegal immigration, it holds wages down. Can't you just admit that it's an exploitative system that you embrace so willingly? And agribusiness is the largest business in the U.S.. Where would they be without the poor masses eating their processed food? Geez you act like I'm responsible for all of this. As I've said already, I am eating better now, have learned a lot over the years, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that a lot of poor get by eating on the run between jobs or are too tired at the end of the day to want to cook beyond throwing a frozen dinner into the microwave. And of course your answer is to attack them for being poor. Jackass.
They'd be less tired and less poor if they ate healthy.

vantexan

What does being a vegetarian have to do with it? Who is advocating vegetarianism?

I knew too much cholesterol was bad 35 years ago and I was a teenager who didn't care about it and made no effort to seek out that information. I don't know why you are making this out to be such a complex, complicated issue.
You are going on and on about how I should've known better but a lot of info that's available now wasn't 35 years ago. A lot of things are being phased out of processed food that we were chomping down 10 years ago. You don't make any concessions, just want to feel superior.

vantexan

People working physical jobs need protein. But better that they were eating steak and skinless baked chicken than hamburgers and pizza. Another thing. Let's say everyone switched to your diet. Prices would go up with demand, something y'all conveniently leave out.

bacha29

Being domiciled in the Boston Metro area I'm sure that given it's proximity to the ocean healthy foods such a lobster, clams and shell fish would likely cost a good deal less than it would in other parts of the country. Again when it comes to food choices it still comes down to where you live, what tastes good to you, what you grew up eating, what was available to you how much money you have to spend what cultural background you come from, what's available to you seasonally and a host of other factors. I bet that I'm one of the few people if not the only one on this site who still puts out a garden every year despite the fact that I can buy what I grow one hell of a lot cheaper due at least in part to the economy of scale.