New bonus of $110 from $75 for local 705.

nWo

Most RPCDs wouldn't be able to find another job that pays $40/hr. Part timers can go across the parking lot and make $5 more an hour than UPS is paying them .

PT Car Washer

Most RPCDs wouldn't be able to find another job that pays $40/hr. Part timers can go across the parking lot and make $5 more an hour than UPS is paying them .
For a FT job. It's no wonder UPS can't hire enough PT workers. The UPS PT work model has gone the way of the dinosaur.

JustAnIrregularGuy

It's Bulkamania, brother!
Did the local negotiate it? Or is it a company move due to retention & understaffing? Please try to find out and update? I have seen reduced bonus in some locations recently. So wonder if they’re reevaluating and reallocating the bonus amounts now. Since initially it appeared to be based on location and staying “competitive” - maybe now it will be based more on actual staffing needs with the understaffed and low retention getting an increase while others decrease. We are in pretty bad shape with a 25 weekly bonus.

I check the ups jobs page for my state and location periodically to keep tabs on bonuses and listings. If anyone else is wondering what’s going to happen with theirs it’s a good way to find out before management does (or tells you, if they do).
The checks should say Retention on a separate line

boxerdan

Yes but wondering if increase was negotiated by local, or if it’s the company.
I'm pretty sure this particular attendance bonus was put in place solely by the company, because at the moment there's a hodgepodge of different bonuses going on in Local 705. CACH and Bedford Park still has an MRA going on for new hires, Addison has an attendance bonus, while Jeff st has an attendance bonus for some sorts but not others, and O'Hare and some other centers don't have anything.

I know at one point they were trying to balance out the pay because the local took issue with a new hire at CACH making more than somebody with 10 years seniority at Jeff St or Palatine, but I think that's kinda gone out the window.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
I'm pretty sure this particular attendance bonus was put in place solely by the company, because at the moment there's a hodgepodge of different bonuses going on in Local 705. CACH and Bedford Park still has an MRA going on for new hires, Addison has an attendance bonus, while Jeff st has an attendance bonus for some sorts but not others, and O'Hare and some other centers don't have anything.

I know at one point they were trying to balance out the pay because the local took issue with a new hire at CACH making more than somebody with 10 years seniority at Jeff St or Palatine, but I think that's kinda gone out the window.
CACH has 23, Franklin Park is $125. Makes OT insulting

The union appears to have given up at my center in the 705. Sups are just package handlers. Most package handlers don't last 40 days and never make it into the union and definitely don't file on sups working.

How can you have sups working ALL day and not even offer a sign up sheet for part timers to pick up double shifts.....

If the union steward ever crawled out of whatever hole he's hiding in, I'd inform him his union is a complete joke.

#whyparttimersdontcareabouttheunion

Last edited:

PTSandwichMaker

Thanks. So probably not going to increase at mine. Bc it’s 705 I kind of figured though. No wishful thinking at ups.

WorkingAsDirected

The union appears to have given up at my center in the 705. Sups are just package handlers. Most package handlers don't last 40 days and never make it into the union and definitely don't file on sups working.

How can you have sups working ALL day and not even offer a sign up sheet for part timers to pick up double shifts.....

If the union steward ever crawled out of whatever hole he's hiding in, I'd inform him his union is a complete joke.

How many grievances have you filed on sups working?

PreTrippin’

Getting drunk and falling down
How many grievances have you filed on sups working?
Ok I’ll defend this dude because I’ve been there and it sounds like you have not.

Filing a 3 7 grievance is difficult. It takes a lot of fortitude and stubbornness to get it thru. When you do you get peanuts on your grievance check. Worth it in principle but not in time spent. And if you have a weak union or :censored2: shop steward or bitch ass business agent then it becomes exponentially more difficult.

542thruNthru

Ok I’ll defend this dude because I’ve been there and it sounds like you have not.

Filing a 3 7 grievance is difficult. It takes a lot of fortitude and stubbornness to get it thru. When you do you get peanuts on your grievance check. Worth it in principle but not in time spent. And if you have a weak union or :censored2: shop steward or bitch ass business agent then it becomes exponentially more difficult.
I'm confused. How much time is spent when you note...

Who was performing bargaining unit work
Where they were performing it
When they started/stopped
And grab a witness to confirm your grievance
Fill out grievance and hand to steward.
Sit back and wait to be paid.

That sounds like 15 min of work to me.

"John Sup was performing bargaining unit work by loading/scanning packages on pen 9. I witnessed him performing this work from 4:10am till 6:23am. Witnesses Sammy Solidarity and Ulysses Unity also saw John Sup performing bargaining unit work during the stated times."

Relief requested: "Paid double my hourly rate for 2.22 hours and inform management to not preform bargaining unit work."

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat

Find the driver steward. The inside ones never wanted trouble

PreTrippin’

I'm confused. How much time is spent when you note...

Who was performing bargaining unit work
Where they were performing it
When they started/stopped

"John Sup was performing bargaining unit work by loading/scanning packages on pen 9. I witnessed him performing this work from 4:10am till 6:23am. Witnesses Sammy Solidarity and Ulysses Unity also saw John Sup performing bargaining unit work during the stated times."

Relief requested: "Paid double my hourly rate for 2.22 hours and inform management to not preform bargaining unit work."
I get your point and I wish you were my preload steward when I was there.

In our local first we must ask the supervisor doing our work if a union member can do said work. They usually say yes and it wrecks the hub because now a preloader is doing what they were doing instead of loading their truck. Everyone gets mad.

If they say no (this is how I won these before) then the stopwatch starts. It’s usually not long before the center manager comes down screaming at everyone and now you have a 30 minute grieve at 2x minimum wage and the entire preload hates you. Hope you enjoy your 24 dollars.

542thruNthru

I get your point and I wish you were my preload steward when I was there.

In our local first we must ask the supervisor doing our work if a union member can do said work. They usually say yes and it wrecks the hub because now a preloader is doing what they were doing instead of loading their truck. Everyone gets mad.
Oh man I'd do it everything! Imagine how quickly that would stop when trucks kept leaving later and later and hurting the center manager numbers. Who care if someone gets mad also. I was directed to take over for the sup.
If they say no (this is how I won these before) then the stopwatch starts. It’s usually not long before the center manager comes down screaming at everyone and now you have a 30 minute grieve at 2x minimum wage and the entire preload hates you. Hope you enjoy your 24 dollars.
I get your point but I go to work to make money. I don't need to make friends. So pretty much it's not the steward or BAs fault it's the preload members that don't want to be there so they get mad when you have a sup stop working.

FFFF that, I'm filing.:)

PreTrippin’

Oh man I'd do it everything! Imagine how quickly that would stop when trucks kept leaving later and later and hurting the center manager numbers. Who care if someone gets mad also. I was directed to take over for the sup.

I get your point but I go to work to make money. I don't need to make friends. So pretty much it's not the steward or BAs fault it's the preload members that don't want to be there so they get mad when you have a sup stop working.

FFFF that, I'm filing.:)
Yes you are 100% correct. I dare say we might even have been friends in such a circumstance.

Even tho I’m no longer part time I seriously want some good things in the next contract for preload. Those guys have it rough and they shouldn’t.

Its_a_me

Our steward lets management work in front of him. Like 5 feet in front of him--everyday for hours. He is more interested in getting out early (pretty much after 2.75 hours) than preventing them. He has enough vacation time that he'll hit his pension time and doesn't seem to care. It's his 2nd job. Our alternate is the exact same way. You can beg them to file on what goes on in front of them and they won't. Managers scream at employees on a daily basis and the stewards do nothing. The union BA last made an appearance at our building during our shift 3 years ago (as it's after his 9 to 5 workday)--and it was probably 2 years from that visit to his previous one--the only other time he makes it there is for the grievance hearing which are held before the shift starts.

It's gotten so bad management added a 4th PT sup to our shift (covering approx 15 unloaders, sorters, and loaders) because (minus the one in the office) the first two on the floor were working so much and getting away with it.

When I file, the company and union (golfing buddies it seems) drag their feet and a hearing is heard 10 months later. The company offers a settlement and the BA advises to accept (as going to the full panel incurs costs). So the company comes out ahead even then. Anyone that was mentioned as a witness is then subject to the clipboard and put in the worst jobs for at least two weeks after--so no one wants to speak up until they are completely fed up. Everyone hates you because the company won't hire the proper help they just make everyone else stay longer. They yell more and the workplace becomes even more hostile than it is as management plays the it's X person's fault you are here later than normal.

So you can talk about how easy it is---but that is building specific--because even getting a steward to sign a grievance form in my building is a 15 minute teeth pulling exercise. I don't begrudge everyone that doesn't want to join (in a RTW state)---the contract we have isn't worth the paper its written on because the union won't enforce it and those that do are not only management targets but also coworkers reason for having to stay longer.