New Contract And Gps

upswrench

A driver asked me yesterday if the new contract would allow UPS to disipline drivers using GPS alone. He thought the old contact did not allow this but was unsure about the new contract. Does anyone know for sure. I believe the old contract read that technology could not be used for dicipline not sure exactly though. Just trying to find out for him.

Griff

Article 6
Section 4
(8) No employee shall be discharged on a first offense if such discharge is based solely upon
information received from GPS or any successor system unless he/she engages in dishonesty
(defined for the purposes of this paragraph as any act or omission by an employee where he/she
intends to defraud the Company). The degree of discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not
be changed because of the use of GPS.

A driver asked me yesterday if the new contract would allow UPS to disipline drivers using GPS alone. He thought the old contact did not allow this but was unsure about the new contract. Does anyone know for sure. I believe the old contract read that technology could not be used for dicipline not sure exactly though. Just trying to find out for him.

Does it really matter? They can use it for the intimidation factor. They can also use it to get you to admit to wrong doing then twist it into a disciplinary action. The best thing to do is follow your route as close as possible and have a good truthful answer for anything out of the ordinary. For example, If you have to back track to deliver a misload, make sure that info is recorded in the Diad.

upswrench

I am the Mechanic and really not sure what goes on out there. however I agree that if you are doing the right thing then you have nothing to worry about. It just seems here recently I have been hearing more and more about the GPS and the drivers asking more questions about what they can actually see.

I am the Mechanic and really not sure what goes on out there. however I agree that if you are doing the right thing then you have nothing to worry about. It just seems here recently I have been hearing more and more about the GPS and the drivers asking more questions about what they can actually see.
Well, that's not exactly what I meant, you still have to worry about harassment even when you do everything correct. They will not be happy with whatever numbers you turn in, they will always want more.
I have been told that the new GPS will be real time, they will see where you are, how long you are there, how long and what path you take to the next stop.
The supposed purpose of the GPS is to help control the dispatch, correct flaws in the way the route is ran and to help on the ODS pickups. When they get an ODS request they can look to see who is the closest to the point of pickup. In short, they will be able to see every move the GPS device takes. WWhat confuses me is that some of these pictures that have been posted show a gps device mounted in the car, the DIAD4 already has GPS and the 5 is supposed to be more enhanced for real time. So why the device in the truck?

over9five

Staff member
It doesn't matter at all whether they can discipline you using GPS technology or not.

What they will do is find an odd trend in the GPS report, and then go out on road and watch you do it.

Very few drivers have to worry about this, most of us do our jobs.

pretzel_man

Well, that's not exactly what I meant, you still have to worry about harassment even when you do everything correct. They will not be happy with whatever numbers you turn in, they will always want more.
I have been told that the new GPS will be real time, they will see where you are, how long you are there, how long and what path you take to the next stop.
The supposed purpose of the GPS is to help control the dispatch, correct flaws in the way the route is ran and to help on the ODS pickups. When they get an ODS request they can look to see who is the closest to the point of pickup. In short, they will be able to see every move the GPS device takes. WWhat confuses me is that some of these pictures that have been posted show a gps device mounted in the car, the DIAD4 already has GPS and the 5 is supposed to be more enhanced for real time. So why the device in the truck?

The device in the truck has more than just GPS on it. It has other sensors as well as connections to the vehicle. It will check if the seat belt is used, if the bulkhead door is open, if inappropriate backing is occurring (GPS will tell where). It will also monitor the vehicle and warn the mechnic if the engine is starting to fail.

Its designed to reduce automotive failures and expense, monitor safety indices, and yes, it will know if you travel off area.

P-Man

currahee

This may sound like a dumb question but are you allowed to go off area a certain distance or not at all? I have asked a bunch off people and i have gotten a bunch of anwsers. I''ve heard not at all,1 mile,2 miles , and if you take break so long as back on area before break ends. Can someone please clear this up for me.

Channahon

This may sound like a dumb question but are you allowed to go off area a certain distance or not at all? I have asked a bunch off people and i have gotten a bunch of anwsers. I''ve heard not at all,1 mile,2 miles , and if you take break so long as back on area before break ends. Can someone please clear this up for me.

Why not just ask your center team along with your union steward present. That should clear up any confusion for you.

Ambiguous answers are the rule of thumb for UP$, it makes it hard to defend yourself. Channahon's solution seems the best answer.
My question to the one that told you "if you take break so long as back on area before break ends" is how can you legally (UP$ wise) drive back to area while OFF THE CLOCK? You are not supposed to drive when not on the clock, break time is off.

browniehound

As Over9.5 said for most of us the "threat" of them knowing or every move through the GPS shouldn't matter as most drivers don't go off area. Yes I know personally of a few that might go a little too far off area to go home for lunch or something like that. These drivers now know they can be watch from the "eye in the sky" so if they continue to do it then I think they are really stupid.

This does bring up a grey area though. How far is too far? Like someone stated, I always get a different answer.

For example, we have a driver who lives on an alternate route back to the center. Sometimes its quicker to go this way if there is traffic on the main freeway. Sometimes it takes a few minutes longer. He doesn't take lunch during the day, but stops at his house for dinner on his way back to the center. Would this be a cause for disiplinary action?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You give the supes too much credit. Do you think these lazy people are going to spend the time to pay attention to every move every driver makes all day. Just do the job correctly.

UPS Lifer

Don't know for sure ...but if the cost is not to much, having the device in the vehicle can help track down a stolen vehicle. This could save thousands of dollars in the long run.

rebel

Depends on who it is.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
If they want to fire you, this is another tool to help them. If you do everything by the book, it shoudn't make any difference in your day to day work. Give an honest days work for our honest days pay, don't cheat, don't lie, and everything will PROBABLY work out just fine:peaceful: Don't worry about things we can't change

You give the supes too much credit. Do you think these lazy people are going to spend the time to pay attention to every move every driver makes all day. Just do the job correctly.
They don't have to do anything, right up the alley of a lazy sup. It's just like watching TV. If the are pissed at you, they may use it for a "fishing expedition.

Lifer:
Don't know for sure ...but if the cost is not to much, having the device in the vehicle can help track down a stolen vehicle. This could save thousands of dollars in the long run.
Any idea how many package cars are stolen each year?