New Development with Response?

Serf

I’d only speculate in times of dire cuts, one could not only speak of no raises. But no 401k match, PPA not being funded. In addition to Managers taking a pay cut.

MassWineGuy

One ops mgr told me that a few years back the company cut mgrs pay about four percent. He said it took two years for him to make up for it. Just how strong is that Kool Aid?

Hiring freeze? Just go with the typical rate of quits and don’t replace them. Leading to more folks leaving.

Artee

One ops mgr told me that a few years back the company cut mgrs pay about four percent. He said it took two years for him to make up for it. Just how strong is that Kool Aid?
My manager tries that about once a year every time pay comes up. He cries about the 2008 era when managers were given a 5% pay cut and it took forever to make it up. I have to keep reminding him that at the same time I was cut from 44 hours/week to 36-37 hours and that was a fawk of a lot more than a 5% pay cut for me. I have never been scheduled to work over 40 hours since then, as they adjusted routes to give others hours.

MassWineGuy

The same mgr told me the other week that my PT hours would be cut so the FT drivers could get more. My own mgr will let me work six hours a day if I want to.

Guitarman01

I’d only speculate in times of dire cuts, one could not only speak of no raises. But no 401k match, PPA not being funded. In addition to Managers taking a pay cut.
If they ever changed anything with the 401k which is really good btw, that would be more cause for alarm then even a temporary pay freeze.

Serf

If they ever changed anything with the 401k which is really good btw, that would be more cause for alarm then even a temporary pay freeze.
I’d tend to agree with you. Like hey, we offered you to leave PPA for a higher match a few months ago, and now we can’t fund it all together?!

NC man

Pretty sure they wanted people to leave PPA,just like the traditional when they gave us a choice and then froze trad and forced everyone to portable. You can be pretty sure when they give you a choice they want you to take it, the new option.
They figure the young folks will not do max contribution so to their advantage to offer the Better match because in many cases they won’t have to match it.
im sure they ran the numbers.

MassWineGuy

Not sure there. My 27 year old son is definitely contributing to his plan. Don’t know how much, but definitely more than minimal. Glad (kind of) to say we inspired him, as he’s told us he doesn’t want to scrimping around for change when he’s our age. Not that we’re quite there yet.

NC man

That’s good but still doubt many young folks under 30 are maxing out,too concerned about having a flashy ride etc

MassWineGuy

I wouldn’t be putting every dime in, either. Modern times are mighty expensive.

If they ended the pension, couriers wouldn’t be the only ones pissed off. Most anyone in management, too.

McFeely

Huge Member
That’s good but still doubt many young folks under 30 are maxing out,too concerned about having a flashy ride etc
Really only need to do 6% to get the full company match, unless I’m remembering incorrectly. But I’d agree that most young/new hires don’t even do 6% so it’s saving the company money.

I kept the PPA option for now so I’ve forgotten the details.

Guitarman01

Yeah you put in 6 percent and they match 8, so they are matching over 100 percent dollar for dollar, which isn't very common and not bad at all as far as 401ks go.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Yeah you put in 6 percent and they match 8, so they are matching over 100 percent dollar for dollar, which isn't very common and not bad at all as far as 401ks go.
If it’s too good of a deal for FedEx employees, it’ll come to an abrupt end. Fat Freddy will see to that.

El Morado Diablo

We've lost about 20% of our couriers since the start of the fiscal year. They won't let us replace any of them but for some weird reason they forced our management to hire some casuals. It's taking forever for them to get the training they need so they are almost useless to us at this point. Now that peak is over I'm sure they will be the first ones sent home every day which will likely cause them to quit when they realize they have to show up every day and not get any hours.

McFeely

Huge Member
We've lost about 20% of our couriers since the start of the fiscal year. They won't let us replace any of them but for some weird reason they forced our management to hire some casuals. It's taking forever for them to get the training they need so they are almost useless to us at this point. Now that peak is over I'm sure they will be the first ones sent home every day which will likely cause them to quit when they realize they have to show up every day and not get any hours.

Replacing FT'ers with casuals fits nicely into their cost savings (even if the casuals aren't near as productive). They're paid at the Step 1 pay rate, generally limited to 24 hours/week (no OT usually), no benefits either.

My station just hired quite a few Swings and Regular Couriers. We're certainly not fully staffed, but with Response going away soon our workload will at least be more manageable for those who had to deal with the Response sort in the middle of the day. I'd personally rather have 40 more stops a day given to me in the morning than deal with 20 extra given to me at Noon.

McFeely

Huge Member
I kept the PPA option for now so I’ve forgotten the details.

I just looked at my info from the 401k/PPA switch. I'm currently getting a combined 9.5% from the company (3.5% match in the 401k and 6% in the PPA). Some of the older couriers are getting as much as 11.5% from the company due to age + years of service.