New driver failure rate

Future

Victory Ride
yDzk0A.gif
Jumpman?

P

pickup

From what some guys said here, the inside guys that start doing Saturday air driving are the ones that make the best transition to full time driving. Familiarity with the Diad, less traffic, and familiarity with the vehicle allow these drivers to more easily become full time drivers than guys off the street or guys straight from the hub.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I post here to learn and to try to help others.

I don't post here to make friends.
You post to feed your narcissistic behavior. You don't post to learn anything. You've been "taught" many times on here and you always have the same response. People in life who actually try to better themselves or "learn" in the sense are open to it.

You are not. Look at how you thought you knew all about Orion before ever having it. You had people who were more versed in it than you correcting you yet you still swore up and down you were always right.

That's narcissism not learning

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I don't post here to make friends.
Well you do an excellent job of making sure that doesn't happen.
From what some guys said here, the inside guys that start doing Saturday air driving are the ones that make the best transition to full time driving. Familiarity with the Diad, less traffic, and familiarity with the vehicle allow these drivers to more easily become full time drivers than guys off the street or guys straight from the hub.
I had one guy last year that wanted to go FT. I tried to do a few things that I hoped would help him. First I asked him to be a parker. Helped him adjust to the vehicles. Then I put him on counter for a few weeks to learn the DIAD. Now neither are the same as the real world. But he told me being able to play with the DIAD especially helped him.

A lot of it though was just his desire to do it though. He printed a week's worth of EDD the Friday before he started and drove the whole route over the weekend to familiarize himself with it. I was bummed to see him go FT. You don't get many PTers like him.

Browntown2014

It was one of the first things my very first on car taught me.

Pickups start in the 1000 section and work their way around the car as I finish my deliveries.

Air goes in the 6999 section.

Exceptions go in the 2000 section.

All of the paperwork is done on road.

When I park my pkg car it takes less than 2 minutes for my turn in as it is all done on road.

Why would you put pickups in the 1000 section?!? So dumb.

P

pickup

I had one guy last year that wanted to go FT. I tried to do a few things that I hoped would help him. First I asked him to be a parker. Helped him adjust to the vehicles. Then I put him on counter for a few weeks to learn the DIAD. Now neither are the same as the real world. But he told me being able to play with the DIAD especially helped him.

A lot of it though was just his desire to do it though. He printed a week's worth of EDD the Friday before he started and drove the whole route over the weekend to familiarize himself with it. I was bummed to see him go FT. You don't get many PTers like him.

You did right by this guy, FrigidPTSup. Good for you and good for this driver that you helped create.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You did right by this guy, FrigidPTSup. Good for you and good for this driver that you helped create.
I didn't do anything. He wanted it. He could have easily done it without me. I just wanted to give him the tools to be able to make it easier. What he chose to do with those tools was up to him.

I still find it funny seeing him in browns. When he started working the sort he always looked confused and nervous. Now the dude is kicking butt driving. He's a good soul.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
This is a great thread, one of the most relevant I've seen in a wile. The quality in new hires for the most part just isn't there. I agree with what has been said before in regards to the benefit of driving utility and Saturday Air. With that said from what I've seen the problem is societal. Young people are lazy and just seem like they don't want to work. Try to hold them accountable for their actions and just wait to the barrage of excuses that will come your way. Had a guy who's maybe got 4 months complaining about how high his stop count is. I'm sorry you've been here 4 months how the heck do you know if your stop count is too high. Oh let's not forget the less than 2 year crowd complaining about seniority and how they're gonna bump someone. You see it's a problem that seems even bigger than what UPS can handle.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

old fashioned hard work.

I did the same thing and when I went into feeders I spent a sunday , my day off driving around learning where all the pick ups and deliveries were on the local feeder runs.

I told a new driver to do that and he looked at me like I was from a different planet.

trickpony1

It's nice to see supervision that actually want to work with the hourly.

I'm afraid if Frigid goes FT supe he will be brainwashed with the "us versus them" mentality so prominent in management that nurtures the bad attitude (anger, hate and bitterness) in the hourly.

The hourly will respect you more if you don't torment them.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I did the same thing and when I went into feeders I spent a sunday , my day off driving around learning where all the pick ups and deliveries were on the local feeder runs.

I told a new driver to do that and he looked at me like I was from a different planet.
I did it before my qualifying as well. It made a huge difference.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm afraid if Frigid goes FT supe he will be brainwashed with the "us versus them" mentality so prominent in management that nurtures the bad attitude (anger, hate and bitterness) in the hourly.

The hourly will respect you more if you don't torment them.
I was afraid it would happen when I moved from hourly to management, but it's been good. If it happens when I go FT I'm gone. I'm not changing myself to please somebody. My sort was filled with bitter people because the sup before was an idiot. Now it's a group of people who I barely have to supervise. They have my back and I have theirs. I don't know why someone would want anything else.

Anthonysg0113

This is a great thread, one of the most relevant I've seen in a wile. The quality in new hires for the most part just isn't there. I agree with what has been said before in regards to the benefit of driving utility and Saturday Air. With that said from what I've seen the problem is societal. Young people are lazy and just seem like they don't want to work. Try to hold them accountable for their actions and just wait to the barrage of excuses that will come your way. Had a guy who's maybe got 4 months complaining about how high his stop count is. I'm sorry you've been here 4 months how the heck do you know if your stop count is too high. Oh let's not forget the less than 2 year crowd complaining about seniority and how they're gonna bump someone. You see it's a problem that seems even bigger than what UPS can handle.
Well, UPS can hire them, but it's up to them to what they make of it. Like what Frigid said, you've got to want to do this job . Like when you're talking to people and give addresses instead of the business name.