New driver getting sent home

oldupsman

I have been driving on saturdays pretty consistently. Other than that, not at all really. I have the option of asking other drivers if they want to go home and I can cover their routes, but I feel weird doing that.
Don't feel weird about that at all. When I first started I went up to every full time driver every day
and asked if they wanted to go home, I'd work. Then when I came in that night I'd ask any full time
driver there if they wanted tomorrow off. Work got around among the senior drivers. Next thing you know
whenever they wanted a day off and the center manager would say no, they would point at me and say
"Why not, he wants to work." Hardly missed a day in the beginning.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I knew one driver who over the course of several years was fired 7 times and quit twice before finishing up his 30 days. Last I heard was he was in feeders.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
giphy-3.gif

BigBrownboxx

Welcome to UPS. Same song and dance I dealt with. Barely made my 30 within 90 days. Then work one, two days a week. If you're single with minimal bills you can probably make it work. If you have a family, mortgage, etc. It's damn near impossible to survive. You can't bump back until you make seniorty, so that screws you. Think about how long you can survive on making peanuts. I for one cannot. My family and home mean more to me than struggling for years trying to become a steady PC driver.
this is correct! I know of two drivers that had families and had to file bankruptcy...

Rack em

Made the Podium
I think you're supposed to work 30 working days in a row to make book. After that just show up and ask for your 8 hours.
The 30 days do not have to be in a row.

I think it is 30 days working in a 90 day period. A lot of guys trying to qualify this time of year only work a few days a week. Really makes it tough to learn a route. Also new drivers do not have a 40 hour week guarantee.
In the western it's 30 days in 120 day period.

542thruNthru

HOLE EEEE SHEEEET, I suck at reading contracts. Thanks for correcting me because I always read it was 30 in 120 for anyone trying to qualify.

So PT to FT just have to get 30 days in an unlimited amount of time basically?

They are supposed to work 30 working days in a row. No break.