New Employee seeks guidance!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You’re going to a rough time starting pkg car at this age. Unless you are in phenomenal shape . That’s why he wanted to know your age.
This job is for the younger guys, honestly.
What kills most is the endless hassling from your mgt team.
They will always be demanding more and never give you a chance to catch your breathe.
You might be better suited for a combo job.
Many older drivers have seen the light and have switched over to combo to save what is left of their bodies and sanity.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
They will always be demanding more and never give you a chance to catch your breathe.
Many older drivers have seen the light and have switched over to combo to save what is left of their bodies and sanity.
Some of the combo jobs here are physically harder than driving but way less mental stress & anguish.

I agree with you in parts on that but for what I have seen the new hires that are older drivers do a better job
At least they show up for work...

AnthonyW848

Funny you say that as I discovered this while unloading a trailer this past week, I was told that I wasn’t producing enough volume on the belts while unloading mostly heavier packages

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Funny you say that as I discovered this while unloading a trailer this past week, I was told that I wasn’t producing enough volume on the belts while unloading mostly heavier packages
Until you either find some dirt on your sup or marry the Center Mgr's ugly offspring, you will find that this issue will only increase.

Shift Inhibit

That’s ups in a nutshell. But as a driver the magnifying glass is on you more. Nothing is good enough. A lot of new guys crack under the pressure & get into accident or injured

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Lol I’m almost 53 years old! Prior to this job I was a Pharmacy Technician for lots of years! ( U want my height and weight too? Lol )
I'm not being a dick and please dont take offense but starting at the bottom at 52 is not going to end well for you as The physical demands are simply going to be too much .I would suggest looking elsewhere for a "second career"

Shift Inhibit

I'm not being a dick and please dont take offense but starting at the bottom at 52 is not going to end well for you as The physical demands are simply going to be too much .I would suggest looking elsewhere for a "second career"
believe he’s already employed as a pt unloader (not sure if it’s preload or local sort) and he’s not hitting their numbers 😂

AnthonyW848

That’s ups in a nutshell. But as a driver the magnifying glass is on you more. Nothing is good enough. A lot of new guys crack under the pressure & get into accident or injured
I will not or I won’t sacrifice my safety and mental well being for a job! I’ve been there and done that and would never choose that route again, I’ll be 53 soon and if I’m blessed to get 12-13 solid years I’ll be straight! Looking forward to retirement with hopefully a small pension!

Shift Inhibit

I will not or I won’t sacrifice my safety and mental well being for a job! I’ve been there and done that and would never choose that route again, I’ll be 53 soon and if I’m blessed to get 12-13 solid years I’ll be straight! Looking forward to retirement with hopefully a small pension!
Good luck driving at ups then.

Shift Inhibit

That’s all well and good but the problem is if you don’t run your ass off, take chances and work off the clock you’ll never make your 30 day trial period as a driver.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Just remember once you get in as a driver they can’t do anything to you for working safe (as long as you are steadily working). Even if it takes you twice as long as the other guy. The time allowances are made by studying 21-year old kids with a diet of straight red bull.