New Employee seeks guidance!

AnthonyW848

hello gents and ladies i've just reached the end of my 70 day probation at a Seattle area hub and was wondering what steps i can take in becoming a a package car driver, every time i ask at the hub there's really no straight forward answer or if i can do anything in preparation to become a package car driver, is there practice opportunities to drive / park the package car vehicle or do they just put you out to the wolves? are there any drivers that mentor people that wish to drive for UPS, any input would be greatly appreciated!

Gman33909

Wait to sign bid sheet for driving opportunities, have to be 21 n up obviously have a Drivers license, check your local when your eligible to drive, some require 1 year seniority to drive

542thruNthru

hello gents and ladies i've just reached the end of my 70 day probation at a Seattle area hub and was wondering what steps i can take in becoming a a package car driver, every time i ask at the hub there's really no straight forward answer or if i can do anything in preparation to become a package car driver, is there practice opportunities to drive / park the package car vehicle or do they just put you out to the wolves? are there any drivers that mentor people that wish to drive for UPS, any input would be greatly appreciated!
Are you 21? If so go to HR or your manager. Ask for the form to put your name on the Part Time to Full Time list. Then wait your turn they'll give you a road test. No there is no practice time or mentor before that.

If you pass the road test then the so called "training" starts. Good luck and don't hold your breath. It could be a while before you become a driver.

AnthonyW848

Thanks for the answers and I’m well over 21 as I’ve started my 2nd and final career, I did sign a poster about a month ago and was called to start training to be a 22.4 driver but I realized that I signed a poster for the wrong hub, I’m not sure what areas are out of my hub!

542thruNthru

Thanks for the answers and I’m well over 21 as I’ve started my 2nd and final career, I did sign a poster about a month ago and was called to start training to be a 22.4 driver but I realized that I signed a poster for the wrong hub, I’m not sure what areas are out of my hub!
What did this poster say?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The Rainier Valley is a district in southeast Seattle.
It is located east of Beacon Hill; west of Mount Baker, Seward Park, and Leschi; south of the Central District and north of Rainier Beach.
It is part of Seattle's South End

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Find your Steward and introduce yourself. Ask him when and where your local's monthly meetings are held and attend them. Introduce yourself to your Business Agent and get his phone number and a copy of the contract.
Your management team will be next to worthless as far as questions about Bids,Seniority and your Rights under the contract but your BA will guide you,answer questions truthfully and help you with any grievances .

542thruNthru

I'm confused and would love to know what Rider or JC you're under.

I'm assuming your local 174 and should be under the Western region supp. Meaning you don't sign a big sheet. You sign the part time to full time list.

quad decade guy

I received no advanced training.....at all.....pkg or feeders. Pkg-"Here's a pkg car....let's go".......talked to me on the way to area.
I was expected to study(whatever, learn my route) on my own time. And expected to be 5 days under(in a row) on the 21st day. Now, this was 30 years ago. BTW, I DQ'd.

Feeders......"we double clutch here.....this is how you do it....." 2 days later(including that one) .....I took my DL road test. 5 days later I was thrown to the wolves.

quad decade guy

Find your Steward and introduce yourself. Ask him when and where your local's monthly meetings are held and attend them. Introduce yourself to your Business Agent and get his phone number and a copy of the contract.
Your management team will be next to worthless as far as questions about Bids,Seniority and your Rights under the contract but your BA will guide you,answer questions truthfully and help you with any grievances .
All of this may or may not happen.....

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I received no advanced training.....at all.....pkg or feeders. Pkg-"Here's a pkg car....let's go".......talked to me on the way to area.
I was expected to study(whatever, learn my route) on my own time. And expected to be 5 days under(in a row) on the 21st day. Now, this was 30 years ago. BTW, I DQ'd.

Feeders......"we double clutch here.....this is how you do it....." 2 days later(including that one) .....I took my DL road test. 5 days later I was thrown to the wolves.
That’s how it was alright. On your own. And yet we made it. I have a feeling not many would today.