New feeder driver (Addison IL)

roron85

Hello all. I have an "appointment" tomorrow at the Addison location for a feeder driver position. (SEASONAL)

Which brings up my first question. Is this an interview? Will I be in a room with a bunch of other people that applied? Should I bring my resume? Do I dress up? Just need clarification since it's just called an "appointment."

Do feeder drivers haul containers, vans, triples/doubles? I've been doing containers as an O/O for the last 5 years and I can honestly say I love doing them. I have double/triple endorsement but have never done it, will they make me go through a training for that?

Looks like the position is starting at night. I was used to starting at 4-6AM but I'm open minded on doing it and it helps I only live 10 minutes down the road. Since it's seasonal, do they usually keep some the drivers after the season? I own 2 trucks so I can continue doing that after the season if they don't. UPS is the only company I see is worth being a company driver for.

What's the approximate pay starting from the bottom? I hope I can net 1,500/week, but I can live off 1,000 since I will have income coming in from my other truck that I will have running.

Thanks in advance and I would appreciate further feedback.

DOK

I have no idea to most of what you're asking but I would say dress up. Seasonal usually indicates just for the holidays but they do keep on or call back the seasonals that do a good job. A top pay feeder driver makes around $100k, but that's after you've gone through the wage progression, good luck!

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
The summer seasonal period just ended. The winter seasonal period starts November 1
I would bring your resume and any documents but also wear something you can do a road test in, ie Work boots.
Keep in mind as a seasonal you are paid by the hour and not guaranteed to work.
The good news is that they are in the process of renovating the Addison building. When they are done they are probably going to hire a lot of drivers.

roron85

The summer seasonal period just ended. The winter seasonal period starts November 1
I would bring your resume and any documents but also wear something you can do a road test in, ie Work boots.
Keep in mind as a seasonal you are paid by the hour and not guaranteed to work.
The good news is that they are in the process of renovating the Addison building. When they are done they are probably going to hire a lot of drivers.

Thanks. Ok, thanks for clarifying, wasn't sure if to go work-ready or interview-dress-up-ready. Don't mind it's seasonal and that sometimes there will not be work since I own my own truck so I can do that. How soon do they let you know there is or isn't work? Same day? Week advance?

roron85

I have no idea to most of what you're asking but I would say dress up. Seasonal usually indicates just for the holidays but they do keep on or call back the seasonals that do a good job. A top pay feeder driver makes around $100k, but that's after you've gone through the wage progression, good luck!

Thanks. So what do you think they would pay me?

P

pickup

Hello all. I have an "appointment" tomorrow at the Addison location for a feeder driver position. (SEASONAL)

Which brings up my first question. Is this an interview? Will I be in a room with a bunch of other people that applied? Should I bring my resume? Do I dress up? Just need clarification since it's just called an "appointment."

I am not familiar with what goes on in Addison Ill, but I will answer as well as I can. You already answers 5 questions on the computer that got you to this appointment. Now, they are going to feel you out a bit on this interview. They are going to see if you want to do the job, try to figure out if you didn't lie on those five questions before they decide to invest more time and money on a drug test and criminal background check.

You don't need a resume at all, but you might want to bring a sheet of paper containing information for jobs held for the last ten years. Dates of hire and leaving, names of companies, supervisor names, phone numbers etc. Names and dates of schools attended. The reason you might need all of this is that if they decide they want to continue the hiring process, they might throw you on a computer and have you fill out sections that ask for all of this. Or you might be able to do it at home. But if they insist on filling the info out there, they might send you for a drug test that day, unless you have pressing business and then they could let you do the drug test the next day.

You don't need a suit and a tie, but if that is your style, then go for it. But regular pants (with no holes), "polo" shirt and decent shoes or even workbooks will be fine. Whatever that is presentable that you are comfortable with. Now, if you are looking to parlay this into a supervisory position, then a suit or tie might help. If not, you can lower the standards.

Do feeder drivers haul containers, vans, triples/doubles? I've been doing containers as an O/O for the last 5 years and I can honestly say I love doing them. I have double/triple endorsement but have never done it, will they make me go through a training for that? Yes on containers, vans, and doubles. Containers are generally to and from the rail yard. As for triples, if that is allowable in your neck of the woods, then yes as well. Will you be trained on doubles and triples? Maybe yes and maybe no. Depends on the willingness of your trainer and the loads that are available during your training week. If you trainer wants to but no triple/double runs available. Then no. If loads available but trainer does not want to go through the trouble of training, then no. If the only loads available are triple/doubles, then your trainer might be forced to do the training. If work is light during your training week and your trainer is willing, he might have you hook up empty doubles and triples and drive them around a little with him in the passenger seat. In other words, it all depends.

Looks like the position is starting at night. I was used to starting at 4-6AM but I'm open minded on doing it and it helps I only live 10 minutes down the road. Since it's seasonal, do they usually keep some the drivers after the season? I own 2 trucks so I can continue doing that after the season if they don't. UPS is the only company I see is worth being a company driver for. Since you are in the world of trucking and are an owner operator, you know the load boards get rather thin after christmas and sort of stay that way for two months. Same thing at UPS. Most casuals get let go after Christmas (within a few weeks). If there is a need for new driver, there is a 6 to 1 ratio, where you(your category "off the street" anyway) are(is) the 1. The other six are from package, and transfers. That need for a new driver, driver(s) , may manifest itself soon in january , or perhaps later in the year. So honestly, getting hired permanently from the outside can be bit of a long shot. All depends on retirements, and other things like the economy and if an amazon warehouse is opening up in that area in February . Get what I'm saying? Also depends where they are in that ratio of 6 to 1 . The next opening might be the "off the street" hire or they might be right at the beginning of the 6. They might also owe positions to the package car drivers who want to make the jump to feeders(tractor trailer). So that 6 can be a bigger number. Also, they are choosing from amongst many to be that 1 in the ratio. That much being said, where I am at which aint where you're at, we've had a lot of off the street hires in the last few years preceded by years where the gates were shut. So there are many variables.

What's the approximate pay starting from the bottom? I hope I can net 1,500/week, but I can live off 1,000 since I will have income coming in from my other truck that I will have running.

Ahh, yes the money part.. you might be disappointed, but I am at top rate and at 40 hours a week( I got a job with little over time) I don't gross 1500 so obviously I don't net 1500. That's me and that's my choice . But I do have a choice. I could have gotten a job that started late at night and got me 2 hours ot. but I choose to come in during daylight and leave when it is daylight due to the fact there ain't nothing going on when I hit my eight hours. The guys with seniority over me don't want that sort of job(with little overtime) so that is why I can get it. Oh occasionally I will get some extra hours but i ain't looking for it.

When you say the bottom, let me clarify. As a casual, temp, whatever, you will get paid what they think they can get away with, with a bottom dictated by the contract. It could be 33 an hour, it could be 25 an hour. You will find that out tomorrow. Obviously peak is coming and there will be weeks where you will work more than 40 hour with overtime counting towards the hours past 40. And then there will be weeks, where you might work 5 hours one day and they will tell you "go home" and you might end up with 39 hours for the week.(some of that overtime). So that is that for the temp part.

If you are hired permanently after peak (which can happen , if at all, months down the line). The bottom isn't going to help your bottom line. The pay rate is 18.75 an hour the first year. Around 21 an hour the second year. 25 the third year and top rate the fourth year, which is close to 35 an hour. (a little lower where I am at because we kicked in a part of our raises towards the pension)

So I think I answered your questions as best as I could. Some of the answers you seek will become a little more clearer if you actually do the job and get to talk to some drivers and they can tell you if they are ready to hire more guys in the future. They know who is retiring. Management will tell you that they are intending to hire people permanently just to get you to chase that carrot.

You can also use the search function and type in "casual feeder drivers" and see what pops up . Might be more information out there.

Thanks in advance and I would appreciate further feedback.

I answered your questions within the box above, pop it open and see what is in there.

P

pickup

I don't think they do the road test until the results of the drug test are in. Because if he hits and kills someone, and he is flying high, the company is screwed.

P

pickup

And that is my contribution to the thread. I don't post much these days ( 3rd post in three months or so) so consider it a favor that I typed all that info up for you.

moldsporh

Well, it's a good gig if you like working nights. You won't work days.

You may start when the sun is still up a little but especially seasonal, 55 to 60 hrs a week and it's night work.

Don't try to stay awake all day, you MUST get sleep. If you have any drugs in your system don't even apply, you will get tested, probably twice before you start and get random tests. Don't even hang out with peeps that smoke weed.

I hear it's much better than delivery, just be sure your family is on board. You will be on the qualified list and will be on call bit likely have a designated run for the peak so that's a little better than on call bit you will still be on call.

When you finish your shift, go get sleep first, don't wait until later because after 10 hours off you will likely be working again.

UPS has their set of work methods, don't try to do it your way. If you want to work at UPS, just follow their rules, some of them are zero tolerance.

Other than that, it a different way of life for sure, but the pay is good.

Good luck.

P

pickup

Let me also say, some regions in the country treat casuals one way and other regions treat their casuals in another fashion. In mine, the casuals work a weekly schedule, and if they are hired full time after peak, they are hired. We have no feeder casuals working the rest of the year. From Sept to jan 10 , we do. If they work after that , they will get hired . No on call for us. No qualified lists. That's where I'm at. Addison, Illinois may be different, so take everything I said with regards to how getting hired full-time with a grain of salt.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Illinois teamster 705 710 is a different beast. If you are truly interested find their 2013 to 2018 contract online and read up on how to get hired

P

pickup

Wow, that was lots of good info! Thanks man

You're welcome. I guess you'll find out tomorrow what they are going to pay you. They can't lie about that. They might take union dues out of your hide(probably will). I heard in some regions, they start taking out initiation fees as well , which I feel is ridiculous so you may want to inquire into that as well. HR may or may not have or volunteer the answers if they are both "Yes" because they will consider it a deterrent to getting you on board.

With the economy doing well in some regards and judging by the sign on bonuses that a few trucking companies are offering, I suspect that the trucking world doesn't have too many truckers with relatively clean cdl licenses , sitting around on a shelf waiting to work for UPS for what could (and probably is) only be a small period of time. So if that is true, HR is going to sugarcoat a lot of stuff and present an aspect of truth that probably won't happen( but it could so it is technically not a lie) in order to recruit you and others like you , in order to fill their quotas.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Dress for success!
step-brothers-interview-o.gif