New Gas System

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
When you go on vacation out of state and you pull into a gas station, how long do you sit waiting for an attendant, before realizing you're not in Jersey anymore? Lol.
Pretty long time. Usually on a plane!

IMG_1110.PNG

jaker

trolling
I could do two days on a tank, but I fill up everyday because I hate trying to get gas somewhere else if I run low and I get to stop everyday at the same spot and get me food and drinks

Nine5

I'm not sure the exact details of the system, but all I know is that our gas tanks aren't being filled up daily anymore. I believe they are judging by miles per route. We have had about 3-4 drivers since this new system started that have ran out of gas and had to put their own $$ into the tank. I for one will never put my own $$ into a ups truck tank, and when I said this to an on road sup, his response was "you will if I tell you to".

If there is one thing ups should leave alone and not mess around with... is the gas tanks. Just went out yesterday with a half of a tank. Route only gets about 60 miles, but what if there are misloads? Or a driver needs help?

Is this happening anywhere else? Is there anything we can do?
We fill our own trucks in my center..... just sucks when the guy before you leaves you empty, always on a day where your leaving the building a half hour late !

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Years ago when I was cover I ran out of gas. We dont have pumps at the building. Left and ran out of gas about a 1/4 mile out of building. Walked back to the building, was yelled at for running out of gas, like it was my fault another driver left the truck empty and went to disneyland.

Oak

okay now think about the time involved in walking to the vehicle, traveling it to the gas pump, traveling it back to park, etc.

think about what work isn't being accomplished because of this wasted travel time, like cleaning or washing

anyways, if you run out of gas on road, you failed to follow methods & procedures in your pre-trip; in my district you'd have the week off to think about activating your brain next time
If the cars in question are already being washed and parked this negates the "walking to and from" part of your argument.

Electronic fuel pumps in the fuel tank are cooled by being covered completely by fuel. Not to mention that tanks that are kept full don't condensate WATER.

This is another attempt to step over a dollar to pick up a dime. This will save pennies this quarter and cost dollars next quarter.

Last edited:

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Trucks should be fueled everyday. What does it matter if you put 5 gallons in one day or 15 gallons in after 3 days. The cost is still the same. Topped off every night.

Yup....and then you have the drivers that fill in and think it is not their job to put fuel in the tank but leave it to the next guy and so on. The next thing you know is the truck won't even make it out of the parking lot because it is out of fuel....

rod

Retired 22 years
I filled up on route at a station that offered a free car wash with every 100 gallons. When I retired I had enough free car washes to last me 3 or 4 years.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
If the cars in question are already being washed and parked this negates the "walking to and from" part of your argument.

Electronic fuel pumps in the fuel tank are cooled by being covered completely by fuel. Not to mention that tanks that are kept full don't condensate WATER.

This is another attempt to step over a dollar to pick up a dime. This will save pennies this quarter and cost dollars next quarter.
if a car is already being washed then sure it should usually be fueled as well, but only 1/3 of vehicles on average should get touched per night

the maintenance bit is a nice angle, but it's pennies to staffing dollars

9.5er

We fuel up our own vehicle. I only fill up once a day. If the truck is empty in the morning I'll fill it up and run the route. Then bring it back just like I found it. If the truck has a full tank I fill it up on my way in.
I hate starting off the day at the gas pumps. Especially those stinking diesel pumps.

PT Car Washer

Best not to continually be low on fuel. They get hot.
How hot can the fuel pump get being submerged in a half a tank of gas compared to a full tank? Not talking about running the truck out of fuel, but what is the purpose of topping off 5 gallons every night compared to 10 or 15 every other night.

Nine5

We have a few drivers who are known for leaving the car empty for the bid driver.
just wrong same as if you borrowed some ones personal vehicle and left it empty, it's just lazy in my center I know who a couple of the non-fillers are, runners and lunch burners that think they are better than every other driver. I know some routes can go Two or three days in between fills but if it's not your route cover drivers fill the damn truck.

DriverNerd

We had a driver run out of gas in the middle of the turn lane that goes to the hub at the end of the night. Was stuck there for who knows how long until a mechanic walked out and gave him some gas. Never got in trouble for it, considering how much ridicule he got from every driver in the center...we all had to go around him getting in.