New hire "bonus" after a full year

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I believe bonuses are done by the company and are not in the contract anywhere.

I thought the original question was whether the wording in a supplement would allow bonus to outsiders. Some supplements have left it open and the company can offer whatever wage or bonus without bargaining. Other supplements have specific language that requires bargaining if the rate is changed or an unfair labor practice could be filed. My apologies if I misunderstood the question.

SweatPit

i won't bite
I believe bonuses are done by the company and are not in the contract anywhere.
Yup. So they can do whatever they want and give money to whoever they want. Should I ask for a on time bonus too? I mean there are employees who are getting it after a full year of employment.

Not one whit.

'Cept for the day before thanksgiving. We told our new-hires that they could take that day off and keep their bonus for the week.
I
You a supervisor? Part time or full-time? Yeah it was very slow that day.

Sucks for employees who have 3 to say 9 or so years of employment making less then a new hire.

SweatPit

i won't bite
And they are still getting it to this day. Talked to a Co-worker that started in October of 2017 and is still receiving the $200 a week bonus.

When will the bonus stop? When the contract gets ratified?

What happens when these employees stop receiving a $200 a week bonus? Will they quit? I feel like the company has to keep giving it to them or they will quit. $200 a week is a lot of money for a part-time inside employee.

PT Car Washer

And they are still getting it to this day. Talked to a Co-worker that started in October of 2017 and is still receiving the $200 a week bonus.

When will the bonus stop? When the contract gets ratified?

What happens when these employees stop receiving a $200 a week bonus? Will they quit? I feel like the company has to keep giving it to them or they will quit. $200 a week is a lot of money for a part-time inside employee.
At the same time that UPS pays a 22.3 employee $1200/wk to do the same job.

cachmeifucan

The bonus ended Friday out here but it's like a week or 2 behind so they might get 1 or 2 more payments. They count the vote here Saturday. We are separate from National so if ours passes IL expect my raise within a couple weeks and my retro in 30 to 60 from Saturday. If it passes.

polyp

The bonuses have been scrubbed from the local buildings' job listings, but I haven't heard anyone complaining about it not being on their pay yet.

Phasing it out through attrition, maybe? It'd be stupid to continue paying out bonuses at the same time they are laying people off. So that'd be my guess.

Watching our sort manager have constant tantrums because they nixed a bunch of new hires and are now more reliant on the PTers who have been getting bonus-shafted for two+ years has been kinda fun, though. Poor guy used to have the foresight to pull people into an office before melting down. Not anymore. Does it in front of the entire area. It's becoming a daily feedback loop of him undermining his own authority.

SweatPit

i won't bite
At the same time that UPS pays a 22.3 employee $1200/wk to do the same job.
Not all. Lots of us in that horrible progression setup for 4 years. I don't make close to that at all. I earned my 22.3 job with seniority. There are employees with up to 10 years of PT and are essentially getting paid less then someone who receives that bonus.

The bonus ended Friday out here but it's like a week or 2 behind so they might get 1 or 2 more payments. They count the vote here Saturday. We are separate from National so if ours passes IL expect my raise within a couple weeks and my retro in 30 to 60 from Saturday. If it passes.
Our supplement passed right away last fall. ALL the supplements have to pass before you get any sort of raise or retro. Won't be until March or so..who knows maybe even longer.

The bonuses have been scrubbed from the local buildings' job listings, but I haven't heard anyone complaining about it not being on their pay yet.

Phasing it out through attrition, maybe? It'd be stupid to continue paying out bonuses at the same time they are laying people off. So that'd be my guess.

Watching our sort manager have constant tantrums because they nixed a bunch of new hires and are now more reliant on the PTers who have been getting bonus-shafted for two+ years has been kinda fun, though. Poor guy used to have the foresight to pull people into an office before melting down. Not anymore. Does it in front of the entire area. It's becoming a daily feedback loop of him undermining his own authority.
Are you sure they are not getting the bonus? Ask around....they might still be getting it. Sounds like you have a crappy sort manager out there.

This was posted 4 days ago:

https://us.jora.com/job/Package-Han...m_source=google_jobs_apply&utm_medium=organic Still a $200 weekly bonus. I am going to go to the HR out there before my shift and find out what is going on.

SweatPit

i won't bite
And HR is not available. Tried talking to the low 20 something year old HR lady. She was busy at the time and asked what area I worked and would come over. She never did. The next day (Friday) she was with some new hires and said she didn't forget about me. She never came by again after that. On Monday she walked by my area talking on her phone... Walked by her office the before my shift with no one in there. Found out she is on vacation the rest of the week.

Trying to get a hold of corporate and figure out what is going on and when this retention bonus is going to end.

I urge everyone to file a complaint about it.

Here is UPS Corporate info: UPS Helpline

SweatPit

i won't bite
Finally talked to the young HR lady. Only info I got was that the retention bonus pay was for employees who got hired after May 2017. So I could not receive the bonus. She gave the number to the HR office in a bigger city nearby with the HR managers name. Called it, no response. I didn't leave a message. Called again 30 minutes later and asked for XXXX XXX the HR manager. "One moment please" Then 5 seconds later, "he just stepped out of the office what can I help you with" "I need to talk to XXXX XXX" Please hold. 10 minutes later I get the same guy. I gave up at this point. And asked him why I could not receive the bonus. He said it is ONLY for employees that are hired after May 2017. I said well if these employees have been with the company over a year and essentially making more per hour then someone who has been with the company say 8 years and making more money then them. How is that fair? "I cannot agree or disagree with you sir"

"Cannot grandfather prior employees who were hired prior to May 2017 into retention bonus."

When will the bonus end I asked? "We do not know you will have to contact corporate" What is corporates phone number I asked? "You can google it" he said. LOL.

I just believe everyone should receive this retention bonus and not certain employees that were hired after a certain date.

The Range

In too deep
I agree. It is wrong but it is a reflection upon ourselves as a whole - spineless cowards, all of us. We should be picketing for a multitude of reasons including 10-year part-timers making less than new hires because of an arbitrary company "bonus". Weak leadership, weak membership. It only gets worse from here.

SweatPit

i won't bite
I agree. It is wrong but it is a reflection upon ourselves as a whole - spineless cowards, all of us. We should be picketing for a multitude of reasons including 10-year part-timers making less than new hires because of an arbitrary company "bonus". Weak leadership, weak membership. It only gets worse from here.
I agree 100%. We got to change it, but it seems impossible at this point with a lot of locals with poor union leadership who are just in it for the money.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I agree 100%. We got to change it, but it seems impossible at this point with a lot of locals with poor union leadership who are just in it for the money.
bloodsucking businesses/corporations and it's membership is the main principle and lifeboat of the modern union. What else is there to be "in it" for, but $?