New Hire Bonus (Sundays required)

New-Hire-Grunt

Hi. I was a union employee for ~4 years and quit to go to school and came back this year for peak because it listed a $200 attendance bonus for showing up to work that week every day. However, the job was listed as monday-friday. I have been paid bonuses for working monday-friday for 3 weeks but now the supervisors are claiming anyone who doesn't show up Sunday is ineligible for the bonus despite no mention of it before anywhere on the hiring site or during the orientation. Can they arbitrarily change my hours like that for the bonus? The Sunday sort conflicts with my other job and is completely opposite hours of the night sort. Do I have any rights here, or is my only option to quit?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hi. I was a union employee for ~4 years and quit to go to school and came back this year for peak because it listed a $200 attendance bonus for showing up to work that week every day. However, the job was listed as monday-friday. I have been paid bonuses for working monday-friday for 3 weeks but now the supervisors are claiming anyone who doesn't show up Sunday is ineligible for the bonus despite no mention of it before anywhere on the hiring site or during the orientation. Can they arbitrarily change my hours like that for the bonus? The Sunday sort conflicts with my other job and is completely opposite hours of the night sort. Do I have any rights here, or is my only option to quit?

Don’t show up and see what happens

New-Hire-Grunt

Such a crappy union. All they care about is the drivers PT workers are still making minimum wage and unwilling to invest any effort to help the people working their ass off

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Such a crappy union. All they care about is the drivers PT workers are still making minimum wage and unwilling to invest any effort to help the people working their ass off
Here any “bonus pay” is beyond the contractual rate. If you’ve got it in writing what your “bonus pay” entails and ups refuses to honor it you may have a case with your states fair labor board. Good luck staying on after peak season if you haven’t made it back onto the list yet. My recommendation would be to work the hours you can and if the hours you worked entitle you to the bonus and you don’t receive “bonus pay” start ratcheting up the pressure. How far you’re willing to go is up to you.

Edit: Working for UPS is like trying to play a board game with a seven year old. They keep changing the rules!

Last edited:

542thruNthru

The bonus was not negotiated by the union. The company offers it and because of that they can stop it when ever they want. So yes quit.