Hot off Reddit Press...

anonymous23456

So you mean to tell me the only reason ups hired me after waiting for a job alert for 2 years is because they are on strike and they want scabs??? Wtf?
Any answers will help. I really would like to work at UPS BECAUSE the UNION! The benefits are the ONLY reason I want the damn job, and the Union is the only reason they still have them. I can throw my back out running around in circles anywhere for nothing…If I show up to orientation am I going to be able to join the union? Or are they expecting me to just steal someone’s job for less money and no benefits??

anonymous23456

Why is a person waiting for 2 years to get a job at UPS? Hello HR? Oh wait...does UPS still have HR? Damn, this guy should have gone to work at Amazon!

anonymous23456

People don’t understand what being part time means at UPS
People definitely don’t understand what part time means at UPS. You’re only guaranteed 20/hrs a week which would be fine if your steward uphold the contract. Then is would be easy to get another job along with working at UPS. Also depending on your hub you’re expected to have an open schedule ( ex. 1am to 10am) which makes it difficult to get another job. I’ve also seen people come to work and get sent home because their supervisor would claim they don’t have any work for them. Don’t even give you the courtesy to call you before you get there so you don’t waste gas or UBER fee. They also tend to change your start time in the middle of the night. Not giving you the 24 hr notice they’re suppose to give. If you have great stewards who uphold the contract then good for you. But unfortunately some don’t because the stewards want to have an easy job so they side with management against workers who don’t know the contract. In my hub they don’t even offer full time inside anymore because they only have two sorts now ( pre load and twilight) . Feeder jobs were sent to the smart hub and some people can’t be drivers because they may not be able to get DOT for health reasons. Some may not be able to drive because the hours drivers work may not align with home life. The only full time jobs are porters and those jobs go to people who have been there 30 plus years. And as far as being expected to have an open schedule, My hub for example, expects you to be available from 1am to 10 am. That’s full time hours but it doesn’t benefit them to make you a full time employee because the retirement benefits (PENSION) is different. If you are going to force people to work full-time hours, they should receive the same pension as a full time employee. When my hub had all four shifts it was easy to work another job along with Ups because you knew exactly what time you would be working everyday. The best part about working for UPS is the health insurance for your family which is hard to turn down. Again I must reiterate, one week you may be able to get 40 hours but the next week you may only be able to get 20. Also your start and finish time varies from day to day. The health insurance is what keeps some people around.

DOK

In another word, PT at UPS is not the American dream. It should be abolished. Make everyone FT (lower the wage if you must).
That’s how’s it’s been for decades. Back 30-40 years ago we put up with it because there were fewer places to work that offered what ups did when you eventually became full time.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
In another word, PT at UPS is not the American dream. It should be abolished. Make everyone FT (lower the wage if you must).
I don’t really care what anyone from management thinks about part time employees.

And I certainly love that you’re willing to sacrifice FT wages for it. 😂

Maybe stick to part time supervising.

shalang

Hell no. People work PT for a reason. Many got their real jobs outside making money and are here solely for the benefits. If you want to go FT there are many avenues to do so.

shalang

Then let those people join the PVD category, not Union!
PVD doesn't have any benefits nor is it a permanent job.

UPS is mainly PT for a reason. People need flexible schedules and PT provides that.

But I do feel you. They were planning on doing something at our building and our local put a stop to it. How the hell they're going to hire part timers when the volume is dead and they're sending people home beginning of the shift? Our local saw that a mile away and didn't allow that.

anonymous23456

Allow PT people to be non-union and be in PVD categories. Let them compete for wages like FedEx and Amazon. Sure, the Union can request to restrict PT size. Any PT wants to join FT (must join the Union) and meet the standards should be approved immediately. It is slavery to keep PT people on PT for years without the chance becoming FT.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Allow PT people to be non-union and be in PVD categories. Let them compete for wages like FedEx and Amazon. Sure, the Union can request to restrict PT size. Any PT wants to join FT (must join the Union) and meet the standards should be approved immediately. It is slavery to keep PT people on PT for years without the chance becoming FT.
IMG_4578.jpeg