New hire for pre-loader. I'm 5ft tall, 100 lb soaking wet

PT Car Washer

We are still hiring permanent PT in my building. I wonder if they can change your hire status from seasonal to permanent can they also change it from permanent to seasonal?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
We are still hiring permanent PT in my building. I wonder if they can change your hire status from seasonal to permanent can they also change it from permanent to seasonal?
From what I've read on here, I think they do that in the Western Region. They're not supposed to hire seasonals at all, but they have that '70 days in 6 months' probation; so they stop scheduling them for work. And of course a new hire won't know enough to get the Union involved; de facto seasonal employees.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm a girl. But I don't look gross like that haha. Think about it, 5 ft... That's extremely short. And I was offered a permanent position. I have wanted a career for with good advancement opportunities for awhile now and I figure ups isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Thanks for the responses. :D I'm really excited about working there and I know it's going to be challenging but I'm afraid of pissing off people because I might not be fast enough or because I might not be able to pick up the heavier boxes.
The two best helpers I ever had were petite females. Their work ethic, attitude, and ability to quickly figure out the DIAD saved me far more time than I ever lost having to help them with the occasional heavy box. I would imagine that the same holds true for preload.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm a girl. But I don't look gross like that haha. Think about it, 5 ft... That's extremely short. And I was offered a permanent position. I have wanted a career for with good advancement opportunities for awhile now and I figure ups isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Thanks for the responses. :D I'm really excited about working there and I know it's going to be challenging but I'm afraid of pissing off people because I might not be fast enough or because I might not be able to pick up the heavier boxes.

Even if you are there 30 or 40 years you will never be "fast enough".

Queen

From what I've read on here, I think they do that in the Western Region. They're not supposed to hire seasonals at all, but they have that '70 days in 6 months' probation; so they stop scheduling them for work. And of course a new hire won't know enough to get the Union involved; de facto seasonal employees.
I'm in Washington so hopefully they are a location that will keep me permanently. Is there any chance they might just lay me off? :/

Queen

I'm really excited to work for ups so I hope everything works out. I work at a small local shipping company where we package and ship for customers and I always recommend ups over FedEx and usps because I've always really liked my ups drivers. Lol. I just really hope the ups drivers like me now. I'm worried about holding people back but from what you guys have said I think I'll be okay. Fingers crossed! Oh and I think there was a gut asking about my name "queen" somehow coming from a cake or something???? My boyfriend who I've been with for a very long time has the last name king, so we got king and Queen sweatshirts and ever since then I've been using queen as my username :)

Queen

Is there anything I can do about that or it is what it is? I've never been part of a union before but people have told me depending on your situation it's good or bad for you. The union takes care of their workers. Does that mean they might help me find other employment? Or anything? Like I said, I don't know much about unions. The reason I'm asking you so many questions is because I have an interview with office Depot this week and I am confident I will get the job, but I will start at office Depot before I start ups. So, if I accept office max I'll likely work there one day, the ups would start the next and the hours would conflict. Meaning, I won't have the opportunity to even work a day with ups to see how it is and I'm afraid I of turning down an okay job with office max because I like ups more. I know I just have to take the chance and pick one, I just hope ups won't let me down.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Is there anything I can do about that or it is what it is? I've never been part of a union before but people have told me depending on your situation it's good or bad for you. The union takes care of their workers. Does that mean they might help me find other employment? Or anything? Like I said, I don't know much about unions. The reason I'm asking you so many questions is because I have an interview with office Depot this week and I am confident I will get the job, but I will start at office Depot before I start ups. So, if I accept office max I'll likely work there one day, the ups would start the next and the hours would conflict. Meaning, I won't have the opportunity to even work a day with ups to see how it is and I'm afraid I of turning down an okay job with office max because I like ups more. I know I just have to take the chance and pick one, I just hope ups won't let me down.
If you are looking for steady hours...I would go with Office Max.

J

jibbs

:( that's really lame. I wanted to work with ups so bad :(

Hours at UPS are most definitely steady, they're just not plentiful when you're on the inside.

Once you make book you've got a 3.5hr guarantee, every day. If that's not steady then I guess I don't know what is. It's definitely slight, though, can't lie about that.

outside.obetz

Really? That's what I was told. I was also offered the drivers helper position but hr told me drivers helper is on seasonal, a.m pre-loader is permanent.
The driver helper position is only around during peak, you can do both. I just got off from driver helping and im still preloading.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hours at UPS are most definitely steady, they're just not plentiful when you're on the inside.

Once you make book you've got a 3.5hr guarantee, every day. If that's not steady then I guess I don't know what is. It's definitely slight, though, can't lie about that.
No one will make book till late Feb or March....that's a long ways away for a steady paycheck.