New hire for pre-loader. I'm 5ft tall, 100 lb soaking wet

BrownArmy

Here's the part where everyone that currently works at UPS will tell you that:

A: It's so completely chitty, and it totally sucks.
B: It's so completely chitty, and you'll never be able to handle it.
C: It's so completely chitty, why do you think you'll ever be able to handle it?

(Posted by people who got hired by UPS, made it through the ranks, and lived to post on BC).

If you're not a troll, give it a whirl.

I know a 4'9" woman driver that kills a downtown route...(grown men quit over this route, she's no joke, drives the truck like she stole it...).

It is what you make of it.

smapple

Dress for the work, come in 15 min early, do your job, don't bitch about how hard the work is, be as fast and efficient as possible, don't try to cheat the clock by standing around/stepping outside/go to the bathroom for 20 min (supes will know), try to get along with the other person if you're paired up, don't disrespect the supes, prepare the day before for the next day (eat properly/sleep), and you'll do fine. You'll also be sore. It's peak so I think management is less inclined to fire people who are putting in the effort. After December might be a different story. If you're not fast enough (1200+ boxes/hour for unloader, not sure for pre-load, 500?)the supe will let you know immediately. I've only been unloading for a month and my body's already conditioned so that when I step into a trailer I start sweating like crazy, and the supe used to yell almost every other day but now only yells to go faster about once a week. But I'm pretty noob at all this so take my advice with a pound of salt.

With all that said, I have yet to meet anyone else doing ground level work that have aspirations for a corporate gig. My long-term plan is to work as one of their accountants or something.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

C: It's so completely chitty, why do you think you'll ever be able to handle it?

(Posted by people who got hired by UPS, made it through the ranks, and lived to post on BC).

I know a 4'9" woman driver that kills a downtown route...(grown men quit over this route, she's no joke, drives the truck like she stole it...).

Exactly, all jokes aside, give it a run and see what happens. Don't want to go through life quitting something before you try it. YOU HAVE TO SINK BEFORE YOU SWIM.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

No, lot of people can handle the job. I just don't understand how any of us ever managed to get a job here YEARS ago and tough out without talking said job that we didn't even have yet to death on the internet.

BrownArmy

No, lot of people can handle the job. I just don't understand how any of us ever managed to get a job here YEARS ago and tough out without talking said job that we didn't even have yet to death on the internet.

Right.

So, encourage the newbie poster who is clearly educated about the 'drill', and is willing and able to do the job.

This job isn't rocket-surgery.

No point in knocking the newbie down.

My guess is that you had a first day at UPS once yourself?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Right.

So, encourage the newbie poster who is clearly educated about the 'drill', and is willing and able to do the job.

This job isn't rocket-surgery.

No point in knocking the newbie down.

My guess is that you had a first day at UPS once yourself?
I don't remembet it....but somehow I didn't have to discuss every little detail on the.internet before I was even hired. Imagine that. Rocket surgery? Ohhhhh you mean brain surgery and rocket science. Cute.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Why are you trying to convince us that you have what it takes to work at UPS? We're just a bunch of broken down hourlies that are counting the years till we can hang them up for good. The only way you will find out if you have what it takes is to do the job and find out.

J

jibbs

Why are you trying to convince us that you have what it takes to work at UPS? We're just a bunch of broken down hourlies that are counting the years till we can hang them up for good. The only way you will find out if you have what it takes is to do the job and find out.

That said... I say go for it.

I wouldn't let other people dictate what I'm capable of. If you've got two hands, two feet and a pulse then you've got the potential to do the job and do it well.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Haha, I know that driver you speak of. Was a good preloader, too.

watdaflock?

The people who think the job is chitty have not worked elsewhere and not being protected by a union.

The only "chitty" part I can think of is the heaters in the doghouse.

Once ya get the swing of preload it's easy.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
5? No! I'll take two. I rather invest that time studying. That way I can graduate in time with a high gpa so I can get a job where I use my brain instead of my body to make a living.
Good luck slinging boxes at 55 yrs old and waiting on a crappy pension. And IF you become a driver, good luck, all the female drivers in my center look beaten down and crippled.

I will give you credit for one thing, little boy. You are amusing.