New hire question about hours.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
As others have stated, contact your steward for local questions.
As for more work be careful for what you wish for.
Working at UPS can be very unhealthy, both physically and mentally.

ManInBrown

Hi everyone, I’m seeking some guidance and hopefully reassurance that I haven’t been duped.

I’m about a month into my career with UPS. I’m coming from USPS and before that, FedEx. I was hired as a full time, permanent driver, based on my experience in the delivery service.

My concern is this: I’m now hearing that a bunch of drivers are just “stand in” guys or extras and have to ask senior drivers if they want the day off so they can work. Some of these guys have been waiting around for over five years to get their own route! Is this typical? I’m married with five kids, I can’t afford to work part time, especially when I left USPS to join UPS.

I’m not sure what to do. I’m afraid that I’ve been told I’m full time permanent just to get me in the door for peak season and then after peak, I won’t be able to get hours.
Is this typical? What do I do? Who do I talk to?
Thanks in advance, everyone.
If you have a family to support with five kids this isn’t for you. First off you weren’t hired as a permanent driver off the street. That job doesn’t exist. Theres no incentive for them to hand a package driver job to someone 5 minutes after meeting them. It’s part of their rights to use you like a rented mule for a period of time to see your work ethic and to see if they like you. They don’t hand out $100k a year jobs to people walking in off the street day 1. You could potentially be hired permanent after being jerked around for 6-12 months.

You will not work every day. You will be at the whim of your management team. The only time you will work every day, and that’s if you make it thru your 30 days and qualify, is the week after Thanksgiving-Christmas week. Then you will be sent on your way and told to wait for a phone call to see if you will be kept on permanent. With 22.4s there has never been a better time to be hired permanent but there’s a 1000 variables that go into that decision that you have no control over. You have no rights other than paying union dues. If you need a paycheck every week to support your family this is not for you.

Last edited:

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
If you have a family to support with five kids this isn’t for you. First off you weren’t hired as a permanent driver off the street. That job doesn’t exist. Theres no incentive for them to hand a package driver job to someone 5 minutes after meeting them. It’s part of their rights to use you like a rented mule for a period of time to see your work ethic and to see if they like you. They don’t hand out $100k a year jobs to people walking in off the street day 1. You could potentially be hired permanent after being jerked around for 6-12 months.

You will not work every day. You will be at the whim of your management team. The only time you will work every day, and that’s if you make it thru your 30 days and qualify, is the week after Thanksgiving-Christmas week. Then you will be sent on your way and told to wait for a phone call to see if you will be kept on permanent. With 22.4s there has never been a better time to be hired permanent but there’s a 1000 variables that go into that decision that you have no control over. You have no rights other than paying union dues. If you need a paycheck every week to support your family this is not for you.
@NickD has already moved on to Amazon

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board

Doesnt that position exist as an "outside hire"?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
In theory maybe
They’ll just string you along until the free period starts
They’ve been doing that for years! Even when you used to be able to work for 9 months a year as a casual they would lie and say you were gonna make the list after peak. Never trust the bastards!

MrBates

Hi everyone, I’m seeking some guidance and hopefully reassurance that I haven’t been duped.

I’m about a month into my career with UPS. I’m coming from USPS and before that, FedEx. I was hired as a full time, permanent driver, based on my experience in the delivery service.

My concern is this: I’m now hearing that a bunch of drivers are just “stand in” guys or extras and have to ask senior drivers if they want the day off so they can work. Some of these guys have been waiting around for over five years to get their own route! Is this typical? I’m married with five kids, I can’t afford to work part time, especially when I left USPS to join UPS.

I’m not sure what to do. I’m afraid that I’ve been told I’m full time permanent just to get me in the door for peak season and then after peak, I won’t be able to get hours.
Is this typical? What do I do? Who do I talk to?
Thanks in advance, everyone.
Did you make book? At our center as long as you made book, it doesn't matter if there are no routes available. They have to give you your guaranteed 8 hours. They tried to send me home once and I insisted. Still no routes or shuttle so I picked up a broom and cleaned trucks all day. Easiest 8 hours ever. After that they always had shuttle work for me to do.

UnionStrong

Did you make book? At our center as long as you made book, it doesn't matter if there are no routes available. They have to give you your guaranteed 8 hours. They tried to send me home once and I insisted. Still no routes or shuttle so I picked up a broom and cleaned trucks all day. Easiest 8 hours ever. After that they always had shuttle work for me to do.
Guaranteed 8 brother. Good for you. They cry when you call off but beg you to go home after peak! :censored2: you pay me!

ManInBrown

Doesnt that position exist as an "outside hire"?
The outside hire is someone who gets brought on as a temp, or in some places they call them a casual. You work for the company for a period of time, and if they decide they like you, you’re hired permanent. That’s what an outside hire is, off the street. The outside hire is not day one, here’s the job congrats. I‘m not in package anymore so I don’t have any idea what goes on now with the 22.4s and such. That’s how it worked when I was there. Maybe they do hire people permanent off the street day 1. If anyone wants to dispute what I’m saying feel free.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
The outside hire is someone who gets brought on as a temp, or in some places they call them a casual. You work for the company for a period of time, and if they decide they like you, you’re hired permanent. That’s what an outside hire is, off the street. The outside hire is not day one, here’s the job congrats. I‘m not in package anymore so I don’t have any idea what goes on now with the 22.4s and such. That’s how it worked when I was there. Maybe they do hire people permanent off the street day 1. If anyone wants to dispute what I’m saying feel free.
Article 22
"Section 4.
Section 4. (a)
Part-time employees shall be given the opportunity to fill full-time
jobs before hiring from the outside on a six for-one basis (six (6)
part-time to every one (1) outside hire)."

So, every six full time hires would mean the next would be "off the street" , right?

UnionStrong

That’s how it was for me, I was a casual for 2 years