New hire to UPS for preloader, need some tips!!!!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
1. Writing on the packages is a waste of time.

2. DO NOT snake the load!

3. Yuppers.

The driver was a :censored2: for going off on you.
There is nothing wrong with snaking the load to utilize empty shelf space if it's done correctly. Snaking 5000's to the 6000's is okay because it's on the same side of the truck. But snaking 6000's to 7000's is stupid because the driver is not going to know to look there.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Nope and nope.
kvKXd.gif

load quality is broken into several pieces:

1. marking the packages: it's important to mark the floor and aisle-facing shelf packages with the HIN # so you can make sure you're putting everything in the correct order, which helps the driver find stuff faster

2. snake the load: if you run out of space in the 2000 section, and the 6000 section has room, USE IT; half way through the day you can easily see where the shelves are going to be light, so feel free to move stuff around, just be consistent and COMMUNICATE with the driver with what you did

3. load size appropriately: big stuff (larger than torso) on the floor, medium stuff on shelf, small stuff behind medium stuff

talk to your supervisor for more tips
That's one part I didn't get why would you want to put the small stuff behind the medium stuff? I tried to look for videos online of how to properly pack the truck but I didn't find much.

Any driver who goes off on a preloader for load quality is just a prick. If the driver really has issues with you, talking directly but kind and straight forward always gets better results. If that doesn't work, then there's always the loaders supervisor to talk to. You will get better as you learn and do the job. As was said before, worry about loading correctly and not misloading. After you get the hang of it, if you want to cater to your drivers then go ahead. But don't cater to the ones that are not nice to you; ever. My preloader will put my next day air envelopes in a separate tote, and my RDL envelopes in a separate tote. Certain deliveries he will move around the shelf to fit better with daily up and down volume changes - and he will let me know. He doesn't have to do this, but me not being a dick is probably the reason he does. You won't please everyone, so don't try.
Misloading is that where you put a package on the wrong truck or wrong number? Since I'm new I only had one truck to load.

Were you with a trainer for at least the first hour? Don't be afraid to ask your neighbor for a couple hints before the shift, unless they are crabby, they usually will be able to help with pointers.

As Wally said, don't worry about the driver too much , worry about making book FIRST, then you will get the hang of where you can put bulk stops in the truck.
I was not with anyone. The supervisor was a couple trucks down, and one of the guy next to me was new also. But I did the best I could.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Been doing this for 28 years. Drivers don't read the PALs or whatever is written on the packages. Snaking the load will lead to service failures. Custom loads should be reserved for experienced loaders only.
it's not for the driver it's for the preloader

how will a snaked load lead to service failures if the preloader has communicated it with you?

this is basic preload methods dude

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
That's one part I didn't get why would you want to put the small stuff behind the medium stuff? I tried to look for videos online of how to properly pack the truck but I didn't find much.
you put the smalls behind the mediums because it saves space

there are preload method videos on iGate that go into detail about all this, they should be having you watch them, if not shame on them

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

it's not for the driver it's for the preloader

how will a snaked load lead to service failures if the preloader has communicated it with you?

this is basic preload methods dude

First of all, don't call me dude.

Second, the key would be preload relaying info to the driver. Our center has a "closed door" preload, meaning that the loaders are directed to close the rollup doors on their cars once they are done, punch out and go home, leaving little time to chat with the drivers that don't show up until just before start time.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
First of all, don't call me dude.

Second, the key would be preload relaying info to the driver. Our center has a "closed door" preload, meaning that the loaders are directed to close the rollup doors on their cars once they are done, punch out and go home, leaving little time to chat with the drivers that don't show up until just before start time.

ok but obviously this person can communicate with the driver as was demonstrated in the OP