New Important Policy Rumor/Buzz

MAKAVELI

If it takes longer than book, it's billed at "actual hours".
Only if that is agreed to on the estimate. Some shops will charge more for certain jobs they know take longer than book but by law they can't charge you more than the estimate unless agreed upon.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just curious. If DRA gives you, let's say, 100 stops and says your RTB time is 3:30. You know you can do it all and be back by 2:00. Yet, you slow down a bit because your electric bill is higher than normal and can use the extra hour, and you get back at 2:55, is that stealing time?

Thanks for posting that. I haven't laughed at a post so hard in a while.

I say just WAD, and get back at 1530. Somehow, it's become ingrained in FedEx culture that we must always rush...the "sense of urgency" BS they used to teach in Courier College. The reality is that the sense of urgency is you making more money for Mr. Smith. What's wrong with not working at a breakneck pace all the time?

I always remember MT3 chiding us for going at Friday pace, as if we owe them 100% effort at all times. Screw you, Mattie.

fatboy33

I say just WAD, and get back at 1530. Somehow, it's become ingrained in FedEx culture that we must always rush...the "sense of urgency" BS they used to teach in Courier College. The reality is that the sense of urgency is you making more money for Mr. Smith. What's wrong with not working at a breakneck pace all the time?

I always remember MT3 chiding us for going at Friday pace, as if we owe them 100% effort at all times. Screw you, Mattie.
We know better not to run any fast on Friday. Inevitably That person, finishing early, will get a message to go help so and so with a bulker or too many pups. Just try to finish at regular time.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You are really comparing apples to bananas here. Mechanics charge " book time " and that charge is agreed to by the customer in the estimate. If a job calls for 2 hours and it takes 1 or 3 hours, its charged for 2. Its not stealing time. Its done this way to keep mechanics from gouging.

OK, then let me simply it. If a courier sandbags it for the purpose of padding his paycheck, he's a thief. Split hairs all you want, but you know it as well as I do.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
OK, then let me simply it. If a courier sandbags it for the purpose of padding his paycheck, he's a thief. Split hairs all you want, but you know it as well as I do.
You seem to be of the opinion that most if not all couriers are sandbaggers. Hmmm.....that seems to be Fred's philosophy as well which accounts for all the micromanagement going on. I'm sure he told you to spread the word like the good little shill that you are.

fatboy33

I never agree with Dano but we can't have the mindset of a Fox news viewer in that everything our side does is right and never wrong. As an employee, you must give a fair effort. That doesn't mean going 40 mph in a 35 or trying to lift 100 pounds alone. But we can't pull over and text on phone for 15 minutes, 4 times a day, then head off to our next stop.

jdoff

Sadly this is the way most companies in America are handling the demand for higher wages and benefits. They'll give you a high starting wage but no possibility of full time. Full Time jobs aren't 40 hours anymore either, more like 50+. I've seen the beginning of this starting with getting rid of pick up routes off of normal delivery routes and hiring part timers to do that. It's only going to expand from there. Why pay a high wage to a veteran courier who works 40 hours when you can split the routes into part time? Possibly even splitting the day between morning and afternoon. For those of you not listening or denying this, wake up. It's already started and will not get better. Our politicians have told us that if you want a career you have to go to college otherwise it's working 3 jobs to support yourself. The days of the working man are over and it's mostly due to the disappearance of unions, which we have our lovely politicians to thank for.

vantexan

Sadly this is the way most companies in America are handling the demand for higher wages and benefits. They'll give you a high starting wage but no possibility of full time. Full Time jobs aren't 40 hours anymore either, more like 50+. I've seen the beginning of this starting with getting rid of pick up routes off of normal delivery routes and hiring part timers to do that. It's only going to expand from there. Why pay a high wage to a veteran courier who works 40 hours when you can split the routes into part time? Possibly even splitting the day between morning and afternoon. For those of you not listening or denying this, wake up. It's already started and will not get better. Our politicians have told us that if you want a career you have to go to college otherwise it's working 3 jobs to support yourself. The days of the working man are over and it's mostly due to the disappearance of unions, which we have our lovely politicians to thank for.
The problem with this is the same concerning pay. They have found that part-timers(most hired off the street are part-time) don't stay long if there isn't a path to better pay. Working FT hrs plus a pay progression that'll provide a future. The job is too demanding. Read recently that people in their twenties are buying a lot less cereal. Why? Because it's a hassle to pour it in a bowl and pour milk on it. No lie, was in USAToday. Imagine what they think of humping all day for tiny raises! FedEx has to attract young adults to keep the company viable. And with our aging population young workers are going to be in demand. FedEx has to be competitive.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The problem with this is the same concerning pay. They have found that part-timers(most hired off the street are part-time) don't stay long if there isn't a path to better pay. Working FT hrs plus a pay progression that'll provide a future. The job is too demanding. Read recently that people in their twenties are buying a lot less cereal. Why? Because it's a hassle to pour it in a bowl and pour milk on it. No lie, was in USAToday. Imagine what they think of humping all day for tiny raises! FedEx has to attract young adults to keep the company viable. And with our aging population young workers are going to be in demand. FedEx has to be competitive.

The word is out that FedEx is a micromanaged Hell, which is exactly what the current generation isn't interested in...at all. That's why you're seeing a big uptick in hiring from the senior citizen's home and from the Third World.

Fred has made his own bed, and is now lying in it, both figuratively and literally.