New Important Policy Rumor/Buzz

dex 84

Traffic, accidents, bad weather, road construction, parades, block parties, high pedestrian and bike volume, disabled vehicle on a one lane road, flooded roads, school busses, fires, wild animals escaped from the zoo, downed trees, downed power lines, two cars going opposite directions stopped in the middle of the road with the drivers talking to each other, landscaping, treescaping, the runs, car parked in the road, security perimeter set up to contain escaped convicts, etc.

whenIgetthere

One day last week, I ran my route at 105%. But, I missed my RTB by four minutes, and that's what my manager wanted to discuss the next day, not the 20 minutes I saved all day, but the four minutes I lost in traffic returning to the building.

BigTex61

One day last week, I ran my route at 105%. But, I missed my RTB by four minutes, and that's what my manager wanted to discuss the next day, not the 20 minutes I saved all day, but the four minutes I lost in traffic returning to the building.
Our station is DRA, lately we've been receiving gap reports with 280 and dra goals. Most of us are killing the dra, return to building numbers , but not even close on the 280 goals. How can you run 110% on dra, but only 90% on sra. These morons are olcc us for missing sra goal, but killing dra goal, on a dra route!

Purplepackage

Just curious. If DRA gives you, let's say, 100 stops and says your RTB time is 3:30. You know you can do it all and be back by 2:00. Yet, you slow down a bit because your electric bill is higher than normal and can use the extra hour, and you get back at 2:55, is that stealing time?

Thanks for posting that. I haven't laughed at a post so hard in a while.

Do your managers actually get on you about your RTB time? A couple years ago a hot topic was your stem time to and from your route but ive never seen an olcc for missing RTB.

But in other news, my manager was most definitely standing next to the paper guys on friday timing them with a stop watch LOL

whenIgetthere

Do your managers actually get on you about your RTB time? A couple years ago a hot topic was your stem time to and from your route but ive never seen an olcc for missing RTB.

But in other news, my manager was most definitely standing next to the paper guys on friday timing them with a stop watch LOL

No OLCC, just wanted to discuss it. Told him traffic and fuel stop. Just the nickel and diming is ridiculous.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I've never denied there are some couriers who work slowly to pad their paychecks. I'm just not so full of myself that I would call it theft the way you do.

It's not being full of myself, it's knowing the difference between right and wrong. It's no different than a mechanic purposely taking 3 hours (and charging you 3 hours) for a 2 hour job because he wants to pad his paycheck.

It's stealing and only a thief would try to sugar-coat it.

59 Dano

Just curious. If DRA gives you, let's say, 100 stops and says your RTB time is 3:30. You know you can do it all and be back by 2:00. Yet, you slow down a bit because your electric bill is higher than normal and can use the extra hour, and you get back at 2:55, is that stealing time?

No, it's stealing money.

Just like if you call the HVAC guy over to fix your system. Is he stealing from you if he takes 3.5 hours to do a job that he knows darn well he can do in 2? After all, he has mouths to feed.

Last edited:

dex 84

Stealing from the man isn't wrong because every opportunity he has to improve the bottom line by paying you less he takes. They want to keep on squeezing, they can go right ahead because you can't draw blood from a stone.

59 Dano

Stealing from the man isn't wrong because every opportunity he has to improve the bottom line by paying you less he takes. They want to keep on squeezing, they can go right ahead because you can't draw blood from a stone.

Glad to see that you can justify stealing. I sincerely hope that someone returns the favor to you.

MAKAVELI

It's not being full of myself, it's knowing the difference between right and wrong. It's no different than a mechanic purposely taking 3 hours (and charging you 3 hours) for a 2 hour job because he wants to pad his paycheck.

You are really comparing apples to bananas here. Mechanics charge " book time " and that charge is agreed to by the customer in the estimate. If a job calls for 2 hours and it takes 1 or 3 hours, its charged for 2. Its not stealing time. Its done this way to keep mechanics from gouging.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Not at all. How many times has that same courier had his pay cut because Fred & Co. can't figure out how to get the freight on time and receives a call saying that the start time has been backed off, let's say 2 hours. Now Fred expects you to cover the costs of his failure and work that much harder to get caught up. That's the real thievery.

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Geez...........

Hey Dano, how many times have you discovered your car sitting out in the FedEx parking lot has four flat tires at the end of the day?

stock-vector-illustration-of-a-worried-man-beside-a-car-with-flat-tires-on-a-white-background-142478575.jpg

vantexan

True. FedEx had it's mgr's tell newhires they'd top out in 7-8 years even though they most likely wouldn't be after 30 years. It's stealing and only a thief would try to sugar coat it.

bbsam

Staff member

Shops regularly charge "Book Time" for jobs that took far less time and everybody knows it. Is this just a case of the public agreeing to be swindled?

MAKAVELI

Shops regularly charge "Book Time" for jobs that took far less time and everybody knows it. Is this just a case of the public agreeing to be swindled?
Some mechanics are just faster than others and or cut corners. The book time is to factory specs. People should be more concerned about quality than book time vs actual time. It also goes both ways. Many times a job will actually take longer than the book time.If fixing cars was really that easy, mechanics would be out of a job.

bbsam

Staff member
Some mechanics are just faster than others and or cut corners. The book time is to factory specs. People should be more concerned about quality than book time vs actual time. It also goes both ways. Many times a job will actually take longer than the book time.If fixing cars was really that easy, mechanics would be out of a job.
If it takes longer than book, it's billed at "actual hours".