New Lap Top computer

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
Hi Folks,

I am getting a new lap top this afternoon. Based on experience, I do not like Sony. But I so like HP. I have never had a Dell but my brother sings the praises of Dell. So, I would like to know from my famiy in brown which you like better and why. If you have Dell's over HP's. Features?
Battery life, weight etc.

thanks,
Down

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Although I don't have a laptop (wish I did though), Tech Support should be a consideration. I've been on the phone for countless hours to Dell and you'll be lucky if you get someone who you can understand. It make for a very tough conversation if you can't understand them.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I think we still get discounts on Dell. Check the upser's website. Oh, forgot you were downsized. Nevermind that point. I have a Dell and a HP desktop. Both perform well, though I prefer the Dell. JMO, as I've never owned a laptop. What the Maine-ah said should also be taken into account.

over9five

Staff member
I have a Dell desktop which is fine, but the two Dell laptops I got for the kids have battery issues. The battery life is not very long. They are 3 or 4 years old, so maybe that's too long for a battery to still be good?

I've *heard* you can only get Dell batteries from Dell, and they aint cheap!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My daughter, what's his name and I are going laptop shopping today. She likes HP and won't even consider a Dell. I have a Dell, used the discount and love it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a Dell desktop which is fine, but the two Dell laptops I got for the kids have battery issues. The battery life is not very long. They are 3 or 4 years old, so maybe that's too long for a battery to still be good?

You can get Dell batteries from other suppliers, not just Dell. Simply Google Dell batteries and you will see the websites. No, they are not cheap.

ladybrown

Mine does have battery issues, as in "it's dead" Unfortunately Im too cheap to buy a new one, so I have to stay plugged in. :dissapointed:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My first notebook was a Toshiba Satelllite, that particular model had mainboard problems, it was replaced three times. My Dell desktop's video card went out as soon as the warrenty did, the hard drive didn't last much longer. We have three notebooks in the house now, all HPs. Mine is a little over a year old, no problems. My wifes is still new, just a few months old. My son's is a year and a half old. The screen went out and the modem started making noise another time, so it has went back twice for repairs. I would strongly recommend the extended warrenty on a notebook, most repairs will cost as much as a new one if the motherboard goes out. A good anitvirus is a must too, I am impressed with Kaspersky that I am using now. It catches stuff the other competitors miss.

Last edited:

BigBrownSanta

What do you plan on doing with the laptop?

I just bought a new laptop last sunday. It's a Toshiba. It cost $400 at Best Buy (on sale yesterday for $379). It has 1 gig memory, a 2.16 ghz intel centrino processor, a 160 gig hard drive, standard dvd/cd write and rewrite, utilizes wireless, but has no blue tooth capability. It doesn't have any major bells and whistles, but all I needed it for was internet access , pictures, music and maybe editing videos. This laptop was cheap but it's good enough for what I plan on doing and I am very satisfied with it so far.

My other computer is a Sony UMPC (UX280P). It's tiny, but very portable. I have never had any problems with it. The only negative for me was it wouldn't display Brown Cafe properly. The screen size was either too small to read comfortably or it wouldn't "word wrap" and I was constantly having to scroll to the right to read posts. It works fine when I connect it to a 19" monitor.

As far as Dell, I couldn't bring myself to buy one. Maybe because I have had to handle so many of them over the last few years.

HP is a brand I boycot simply because one of UPS's board of directors is from HP.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
Mine does have battery issues, as in "it's dead" Unfortunately Im too cheap to buy a new one, so I have to stay plugged in. :dissapointed:

that is one of the issues i am having right now with my Sony Vaio. it is now a portable desktop. in addition the screen blanks out and some keys no longet function.

as for the Dell batteries, you can get them at Best Buy and other tech stores that sell computers.

Steve- i am getting a corp discount w/my husbands work. he is a Walgreens manager. and the discount will help a lot.

i was in Best Buy, picked out an HP, but put it back bc they dont have boot/back up drives, you have to pay for them. So i am going to order from Dell directly.

thanks for all the input. as for Dell tech support, well, my brother is a computer geek and he lives only 10 minutes from us.

thanks again.

drewed

Shankman
I have an acer and have beaten the hell out of it and its stood up, no battery issues, i wasnt particulary fond some of the acer programs that were loaded with ut but i unistalled them and havent had any problems since.....
Im thinking about getting another laptop come spring and Im really leaning towards a Mac