New Orleans

S

susiedriver

Best wishes and hope for the safety of all those in the path of Katrina. I have a bad feeling about this.

A

air_upser

I share your sentiment susie. I hope everyone evacuates and remains safe. Beyond that, I think this storm is going to have a big effect on oil prices and the economy. Imagine New Orleans under water for 2 months?
The projected path has it in the Ohio Valley by Wednesday. I'm trying to keep everything in perspective, but I can't help but worry that we're going to have a hell of time with Air if Louisville gets hit with the remnants of Katrina.

W

wkmac

Best wishes and hope for the safety of all those in the path of Katrina. I have a bad feeling about this.

Amen Susie and I agree with your bad feelings. Below is a bulletin from this morning issued by the National Weather Service. These folks will need lots of help after the fact so for those of us not effected do what you can to donate to organizations who will step up and help.

Urgent Weather Message from NWS New Orleans

WWUS74 KLIX 281550NPWLIXURGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA

1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED

HURRICANE KATRINAA MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969. MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. ATLEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED.

CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE. HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT. AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATEADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...

AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK. POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...

BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEWCROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BEKILLED.AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEARHURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE ARE CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTUREOUTSIDE!LAZ038-040-050-056>070-282100-ASSUMPTION-LIVINGSTON-LOWER JEFFERSON-LOWER LAFOURCHE-LOWER PLAQUEMINES-LOWER ST. BERNARD-LOWER TERREBONNE-ORLEANS-ST. CHARLES-ST. JAMES-ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST-ST. TAMMANY-TANGIPAHOA-UPPER JEFFERSON-UPPER LAFOURCHE-UPPER PLAQUEMINES-UPPER ST. BERNARD-UPPER TERREBONNE-1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

1timepu

To bad UPS doesnt care they will have the drivers out in force delivering Monday...........what a joke, doesnt matter if it si a Blizzard or in this situation a Huricane, they only thing that will keep my fellow drivers off the road would be a state of emergency which management would have no choice, to not work the drivers

S

speeddemon

Thank god Im on vacation this week. Then again, Im having more skin cancer surgery! ARGG! To all of you in the path of this storm, may god be with you.

P

pd109

Bourbon blues on the street, loose and complete,
under skies all smoky blue green....
my memory is muddy,whats this river I`m in,
New Orleans is sinkin and I dont wanna swim....
Tragically hip lyrics,I hope you people are ready,because this one looks nasty.Take every precaution,dont try to stick it out.

D

dannyboy

IT will not be as bad as thought for the city. There will be much destruction, but as in any other time of crisis and destruction, the human spirit that is there will rebuild.

From what I understand much of what is associated with New Orleans has been spared and remains only lightly damaged. It could be much worse.

There have been few deaths, but even one is too many. But without the proper warnings, that too would have been much worse.

As with other disasters, thoughts and prayers to those in need. And the RED CROSS, one of those organizations that receives money from the UNited way, is and will be there helping the best they can.

d

C

crappie

Danny you need to watch TV .New Orleans got hammered.New Orleans levee breaks
Katrina blamed for 65 deaths, including 54 in Mississippi

Levee holding back Lake Pontchartrain breached in New Orleans

Tens of thousands may be homeless for months

American Red Cross launching its largest relief operation
New Orleans levee breaks; mayor says 80% of city flooded
(Message edited by crappie on August 30, 2005)

(Message edited by crappie on August 30, 2005)

J

ja7618

1time are you serious? The reason I ask this is because when Charley struck Central Fl last Aug, our center only sent out drivers that had no damage (and there was only a few out of 80 drivers in my center that didn't have damage). No one batted an eye when I called in and said that I had 3 trees on my house, couldn't get there for a few days. I appreciated their understanding. Maybe it's different at each center.

O

over9five

From UPSers.com:

"Our greatest concern continues to be the safety of UPS people and their families.."

"UPS services, including scheduled pickup, delivery, and On-Call Pickup services are
limited in affected areas."

"We are accessing the best way to help UPS people who have been affected by the hurricane."

O

opie

Most of New Orleans is in ruins as is most of the Gulf Coast area. Hundreds are feared dead. Yesterday according to the reports, New Orleans didn't get hit like they expected. Boy did that change today, when those levees broke. Martial law has been imposed is some areas. Widespread looting...total devastation.

R

rushfan

I'm a "ham" radio operator. And right now if you need to try to get a message to someone there try looking for a Ham radio operator. The message may take a few days to get to them. It may be the best way since phones are down.

H

hr_guy

1xpickup, if the area becomes safe, it may be important to get back out on the streets. Aside from the signs of "normalcy" to the area, numerous packages coming in might be of high importance to many people there. I'll agree it would be absurd to send out drivers if the area is unsafe, but if the water recedes and there isn't a riot out there, I would expect the business to return at first opportunity.

T

toonertoo

Why doesnt UPS step up and send some of our finest who are also police officers, firemen, emt's, nurses, etc. down to help. Just curious.

T

tieguy

"Danny you need to watch TV .New Orleans got hammered.New Orleans levee breaks
Katrina blamed for 65 deaths, including 54 in Mississippi"

I agree the damage is terrible and my prayers go out to the people of N'orlins. However Danny is right New Orleans was spared a direct hit which would have been much much worse.

D

dannyboy

most of new orleans is not in ruins. That is the kind of headlines that sell copy and air time, but is far from the truth. But that does not mean that there is not wide spread damage.

As for the loss of human life, that is tragic. But how many are needless. Now many ignored the evac orders and stayed. There are at least 35 of those deaths just in one building that fell after relentless storm surges knocked the foundation out. Why were they still there.

As for the TV shots, remember something. TV is selling time. Time you are glued to the set. They will focus on the worst areas hit, the most heartrending emotional story, they will shoot video of one spot from every different angle and then replay it over and over as new footage. Not to take away from the tragic losses, but their job is to sensationalize the story. And they do it well.

That being said, there is much damage to many areas. It was a major storm. BUt by the grace of God it could have been much worse. And just because a few levies broke, that is fairly good news. There are many others that have not broken and are holding tight.

They will rebuild, in many cases better than before. It will take years, and for some people the effort will be greater than they wish to participate in, so they will move away. But others will come. It has been that way in the past, it will be that way in the future.

I wonder if the gooberment will stop sending all the building materiels that are currently going to China, to help in the rebuild?

d