New over 9.5 rules?

spuman

I hear what your screamin' .It would have to be a rotation type schedule,trying to convince the guys getting off at 5:00 every day would be the problem.If I had those hours I would'nt be complaining either but more and more Im getting burned out and my sense of urgency is all but gone.Just looking for a little relief.Maybe with the economy the way it is I should just suck it up and get paid.For me if I'm working over ten hours eleven or twelve is not much different.

I hear what your screamin' .It would have to be a rotation type schedule,trying to convince the guys getting off at 5:00 every day would be the problem.If I had those hours I would'nt be complaining either but more and more Im getting burned out and my sense of urgency is all but gone.Just looking for a little relief.Maybe with the economy the way it is I should just suck it up and get paid.For me if I'm working over ten hours eleven or twelve is not much different.
I guess waking up on Friday morning tired, sore and physically weaker is the same as burned out.
The route I have been running is usually dispatched with a 10.5 day and like most routes it can't be done in scratch time, at least by me. So I end up with around 11 hours on the clock. With these new "guide lines" on O/9.5s filing a grievance will nether get the triple time pay(which for me was an attempted leverage to get relief from over time) nor any relief from the excessive OT.
IMHO, the Teamster portion of the National O/9.5 committee has sold us THE UPS DRIVERS out to the company blood suckers.
I thought the o/9.5 language was good at first, then with the union folding their hand it became useless rhetoric. I also thought that the union wanted more full time jobs created, but these new rules almost guarantees none will be forth coming.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
What if we(service providers) went to 4-12 hour day work week?Could and/or would corperate consider this?What would be some pros and cons?

I worked for a cable company in NYC, I.B.E.W., and we worked 4, 10hr days on a rotating cycle. The thing I liked about this was,

A: You got 3 days off.
B: You had a day off during the week, for stuff like Dr/Dental appt's.
C: The rotation lasted, If I recall, 3 months, at which point you'd shift to the next 3 day off schedule.

The 5th day, if you worked it, was all overtime. I liked working this way. JMAMHOA....Just me and my honest opinion again.:happy-very:

I worked for a cable company in NYC, I.B.E.W., and we worked 4, 10hr days on a rotating cycle. The thing I liked about this was,

A: You got 3 days off.
B: You had a day off during the week, for stuff like Dr/Dental appt's.
C: The rotation lasted, If I recall, 3 months, at which point you'd shift to the next 3 day off schedule.

The 5th day, if you worked it, was all overtime. I liked working this way. JMAMHOA....Just me and my honest opinion again.:happy-very:
I would kiss someone on the mouth for a work schedule like that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

More and more companies are going to a 4 day work week, whether it be 4 10s or 4 12s. A lot of our local highway depts go to a 4 10 schedule during the summer and the guys love it. However, UPS may not be an ideal fit for a 4 day work week. Yes, I would be one of the ones impacted by this, as I rarely, if ever, work over 9.5, but that does not factor in to my reasoning that a 4 day work week would not work.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The correlation between delivery and health care is not a good one. As has been mentioned, it takes a bit more training for a nurse than a delivery man. They are also offering $40,000 sign on bonuses, something you just dont see in delivery.

Here, it is not unusual to have a nurse work 50-60 hours or more. And while there is a whole new wave of nurses coming on, the shortage is still there.

One other interesting side, travelers get 40-50 bucks an hour straight time, but no bennies.

One solution to drivers that have late pickups is to start them later. Say at 10-10:30. Let an air driver deliver the air load. But then that would really suck, because your start time is almost lunch time. And of course, there would be contract issues with the air.

While it seems very expensive to keep you out three or four hours overtime each night, the bean counters know that in the long run, it is cheaper for ups to do so than any of the other alternatives.

d

The correlation between delivery and health care is not a good one. As has been mentioned, it takes a bit more training for a nurse than a delivery man. They are also offering $40,000 sign on bonuses, something you just dont see in delivery.
In this area there aren't any signing bonuses near like that, if at all. The RN's make a little more than a full scale UPS driver, LVNs a little less.

Here, it is not unusual to have a nurse work 50-60 hours or more. And while there is a whole new wave of nurses coming on, the shortage is still there.

They usually don't work those kind of hours here unless they have two jobs.

One other interesting side, travelers get 40-50 bucks an hour straight time, but no bennies.
The "agency " traveling RN's sometimes have living expenses paid also. But no insurance or retirement.
One solution to drivers that have late pickups is to start them later. Say at 10-10:30. Let an air driver deliver the air load. But then that would really suck, because your start time is almost lunch time. And of course, there would be contract issues with the air.

While it seems very expensive to keep you out three or four hours overtime each night, the bean counters know that in the long run, it is cheaper for ups to do so than any of the other alternatives.

d

barnyard

KTM rider
I do not know of many companies that, when they work OT, it is not mandatory. Until this recession, all the manufacturing employees that I know were working OT. My brother said that in order to get a Saturday off, he would have to use a vacation day. Otherwise, he was expected to work.

I have never heard a boss remind me that I am lucky to be working, I hear it from the customers on my route.

TB

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Just to show you how this overtime situation gets out of hand 'specially in winter.

Big snow/ice/rain storm takes over the state Wednsday. They cut routes and extend areas knowing we were in for a difficult day. Ups's take is that they are going to save money by looking at their reports in the morning. Obviously during the day, we drivers run into problems that all our managers know is going to happen. Unpassable roads, slicked driveways, time to bag packages, extra caution walking, slower driving, iced windshields, unpassable driveways, frozen driver parts :wink2:. All drivers get called back to building for 8pm. Tons of missed packages because we didn't get into those areas, not because we couldn't deliver them. We had to have lost money on the deal. Excess overtime and little production.

Now comes Thursday. Leftover stops + light volume due to storm. Knowing everything is covered in ice and missed areas, they still send out the same plan with cut routes. So instead of 1 day of adverse conditions, they give us 2 days in a row. I call in over 11, 2 hours into my day, knowing this route full well that there plan just went down like the Titanic. No message back. Finally at 6pm, message comes "Are you still over 11". Yes, request acknowleged and accepted, I reply.

5 minutes later, "Are you going to be OVER 12". I REPLIED, WHO CARES !!! If im going to be over 11, why care if I'm going to be over 12.
They give us a cutoff of 840pm last night. 1/3 of the driver pulling in after 8pm with missed packages, most from the same areas missed the day before.

Moral of the story - We all don't mind a little overtime. But when they abuse the system, we have a right to be pissed.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Well, I'm officially on the 9.5 list now and have a grievance to file on monday. The only thing that I think sucks about this whole situation is, I already have a panel decision on this. Why the hell do I have to go through this whole thing all over again?

Well, I'm officially on the 9.5 list now and have a grievance to file on monday. The only thing that I think sucks about this whole situation is, I already have a panel decision on this. Why the hell do I have to go through this whole thing all over again?
That a very good question Dilli. If you get a good answer please let us know.

browndevil

To wear you down my friend! Stay the course

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Ya, I know. But what a freaking waste of time. I worked 4 days last week. Went over on M/T, had work taken off on W, and ODS'd then 3 seperate times Th telling them I'd be over again. They took some work off and I had another driver call and ask if he could help but it still wasn't enough.

Trp, if I had the answer I wouldn't have asked the question. LOL :wink2:

Ya, I know. But what a freaking waste of time. I worked 4 days last week. Went over on M/T, had work taken off on W, and ODS'd then 3 seperate times Th telling them I'd be over again. They took some work off and I had another driver call and ask if he could help but it still wasn't enough.

Trp, if I had the answer I wouldn't have asked the question. LOL :wink2:
But Dearheart you might find the answer one day. We can always have HOPE...after all Obama says so.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
But Dearheart you might find the answer one day. We can always have HOPE...after all Obama says so.
OHhhhhh that's right. Sorry, I haven't adjusted to our new savior yet! LOL

Well I will keep my ear to the ground. Maybe we will get lucky.:surprised:

BrownBlue

New Jack
So just wondering, do yall have the same cover driver deal in the new agreement. Meaning you cover(or whateever you call non-bid router full time drivers in your area) routes when the bid driver is gone, and float around until you bid a route. They have told us you gotta be 3 days over 9.5 on the same route. To me that blows, cause now they are purposely asking higher cover drivers, like myself, to take certain routes cause so and so has already had 2 days over 9.5 on the route. Also, it's not like I don't know the area any less than the regular driver on most that I cover. Just seems like they found away to add another tier of driver into the works. I guess I could just bid the crap unassigned routes, cause nobody wants them.:peaceful:

So just wondering, do yall have the same cover driver deal in the new agreement. Meaning you cover(or whateever you call non-bid router full time drivers in your area) routes when the bid driver is gone, and float around until you bid a route. They have told us you gotta be 3 days over 9.5 on the same route. To me that blows, cause now they are purposely asking higher cover drivers, like myself, to take certain routes cause so and so has already had 2 days over 9.5 on the route. Also, it's not like I don't know the area any less than the regular driver on most that I cover. Just seems like they found away to add another tier of driver into the works. I guess I could just bid the crap unassigned routes, cause nobody wants them.:peaceful:
If by regular driver you mean a bid driver they can't do that, In' our center the cover drivers choose, by seniority, which route to cover. If I got the idea that so and so (cover driver) was being moved so they could avoid the 3rd O/9.5 I would not do that. The whole purpose of the o/9.5 language is to give UPS incentive to put in extra routes that everybody knows we need in and to give relief from overtime.
The contract does not say your o/9.5s have to be on the same route, but who knows what the O/9.5 Makeup the rules as we go Committee has or will come up with.