New P700's

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
My center just got a bunch of the new P7's. I heard the lucky people commenting about the new & improved engineering. My friend had to show me the narrower bulkhead door, he says they're a knuckle skinner for sure. I think the are 6" 's smaller than the older cars. Apparently the designer never delivered a Dell computer(yes we still see them) or Pottery Barn boxes. Some drivers are complaining about the lower mirrors too. Anyone have any other comments?

10 2 Go

You have POWER STEERING, HEAT& AUTOMATIC TRANNY now! You will get use the the minor Inches. Use the back doors for large pkgs. Unless you request your old P500/P800 back again.

browned_out

:thumbup1: Just be thankful they are new and improved over the old relics you probably got rid of. We have some of those P-7's, lower steps, automatic, huge cab area, we were able to get rid of some 1920's era P-5 and P-6 junkers. It's just great to receive something new instead of the usual used trucks that we seem to get now and then.

brett636

If your speaking about the ones with the single rear wheels I know exactly what you mean. They drive nice, but are too narrow in the package compartment. Also, if you live in an area that gets snow you will not be happy. The only time I got stuck last year was in one of those, and that was on a small mound of snow right in front of our air dock. The only thing good about those new P7s is their automatic.

Big Babooba

If your speaking about the ones with the single rear wheels I know exactly what you mean. They drive nice, but are too narrow in the package compartment. Also, if you live in an area that gets snow you will not be happy. The only time I got stuck last year was in one of those, and that was on a small mound of snow right in front of our air dock. The only thing good about those new P7s is their automatic.
We have a few. The sliding rear doors freeze shut in the winter.

Overpaid Union Thug

One thing I've noticed about any new truck we have is it's hard to close the driver side and passenger side doors. You really have to shake and jerk them to get them to start sliding shut.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
These new P7s have a VIN plate located on the bulkhead wall behind the drivers seat and are called "P70D New Generation". I drove one one day to see if I wanted one, but I turned it down. They are a little longer, but have a reduced size wheel well as a result of the width being narrower. This means they have a wider turning radius. The Car I drive is the model before that, a P70D built in Sept. 05. It is shorter, a little wider, has dual rear wheels, and swinging rear doors. It turns a lot better. Automatic Trans, Power Steering, four wheel disc ABS brakes, and lower steps are all a bonus on these newer cars.

sendagain

I still remember the 57 we had in my center back in the seventies. It had a big cover that fit over the engine in the cab, making a nice place to sit on a cold day.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Sorry Guys I'm 6'5. I just didn't fit. Nice comfy ride now. Almost like my car. I said almost.:laugh:

I feel your pain, I'm 6'7". Nothin like being crammed in a P500 with your knees poppin you in the chin everytime you hit the clutch. I keep telling my sup. "If the unthinkable happens (God forbid) my legs are gone." His response: "You gonna make 9.5?" And Scratch, I can vouch, the turning radius on those single rear-wheeled 700's is hideous. I've seen aircraft carriers turn tighter.

Tell me how "UPS" this is. We just got 14 of the new 500s (P47 replacements) and they're all diesel engines. These cars are all slated to be sent to outlying centers. In the meantime, we will be using them until our gasoline powered cars arrive. At my hub we have both gas and diesel pumps on site. The hubs that will eventually recieve these cars only have gas pumps. So, all these diesel cars will have to be fueled off site.

I know they don't pay me to think, but it doesn't take Stephen Hawking to figure this one out.

NJ12hrday

we just lost a bunch of P700's. their sending them to nyc or something. they said they were "too small anyway". but we did get a bunch of new 10 and 13 cubes. looks like more space for more work. and they're friggin ugly.

30andout

Just got one of those new 700s two weeks ago, I wouldn't trade it back for anything I have driven yet. Yes, I am concerned about the snow and the sliding rear doors, but I'll deal with that when it snows. The mirrors and the turning radius you can get used to, but boy do they ride nice and my ears don't ring after 160 miles.

Big Babooba

Just got one of those new 700s two weeks ago, I wouldn't trade it back for anything I have driven yet. Yes, I am concerned about the snow and the sliding rear doors, but I'll deal with that when it snows. The mirrors and the turning radius you can get used to, but boy do they ride nice and my ears don't ring after 160 miles.
Carry sand in the winter and get some chains from the shop. We have a new style 700 with the old style mirrors and 1 with the new mirrors(they suck in the dark & the rain).

Pollocknbrown

Carry sand in the winter and get some chains from the shop. We have a new style 700 with the old style mirrors and 1 with the new mirrors(they suck in the dark & the rain).

Forget sand, rock salt is the way to go, then again, buffalo is the only place i still see using rock salt when i go around other places during winter months, could explain the massive pot hole in my road that my town/ county refuses to fix.