New seatbelt and bulkhead door sensors

some1else

my p800 has the new sensors lol; they installed these sensors at what cost (my guess is over 500$ per vehicle) and i dont have power steering, a working heater, or a 3 point seatbelt.

sometimes as im driving i wonder if i would be better off with the lap belt holding me in; and having my head slam back against the bulkhead, or not wear it and just "fly clear" like a motorcyclist would.

just as an aside what do you think the MPA (miles driven per accidents) for a 800 vs. a 700 or power steering 1000?

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Package car driving BLOWS!!!!!!The more technology that is introduced into the job , the harder it gets. Take my advice - go to feeders. Best job at UPS you'll ever have. :wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Package car driving BLOWS!!!!!!The more technology that is introduced into the job , the harder it gets. Take my advice - go to feeders. Best job at UPS you'll ever have. :wink2:

Somehow the idea of pulling a set of doubles down the Northway at 3 in the morning in the middle of a snow storm just does not appeal to me. Thanks, but no thanks.

Somehow the idea of pulling a set of doubles down the Northway at 3 in the morning in the middle of a snow storm just does not appeal to me. Thanks, but no thanks.

As opposed to driving down the same road at 3pm in the same storm in a package car? Look at the bright side. If you wad up a feeder the extra weight of the vehicle will mercifully crush you leading to a quick and mostly painless death. :thumbsup:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
sometimes as im driving i wonder if i would be better off with the lap belt holding me in; and having my head slam back against the bulkhead, or not wear it and just "fly clear" like a motorcyclist would.

As long as UPS can document that you are current on all of your Safety Asessments prior to being buried, then everything is OK. If you die, you can simply be replaced by a younger employee who makes $10 per hour less. If you survive, the Safety Committee can just blame the accident on your inabilty to memorize their acronyms and commentaries.

old levi's

blank space
Question: In the newer P57's with the back doors that swing out,are we supposed to back up to a dock within a foot,open the bulkhead,swing the back doors open,walk to the front,close the bulkhead,do up the seatbelt,back up a foot take off the seatbelt,open the bulkhead and do the pickup?

In a word: Yes.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Question: In the newer P57's with the back doors that swing out,are we supposed to back up to a dock within a foot,open the bulkhead,swing the back doors open,walk to the front,close the bulkhead,do up the seatbelt,back up a foot take off the seatbelt,open the bulkhead and do the pickup?
I don't close the bulkhead, but I do put my seatbelt on. Have had sups on car and they've never said a word about it. Seems kinda silly to go through all those motions just to back up a foot.

We had 1 driver get caught talking on a cell phone pulling away from the MDU. The driver as just pulling up a foot to close doors and do pretrip. Got chewed out in the parking lot for the effort. LOL

Big Babooba

I don't close the bulkhead, but I do put my seatbelt on. Have had sups on car and they've never said a word about it. Seems kinda silly to go through all those motions just to back up a foot.

We had 1 driver get caught talking on a cell phone pulling away from the MDU. The driver as just pulling up a foot to close doors and do pretrip. Got chewed out in the parking lot for the effort. LOL

I keep my bulkhead closed. I learned the hard way when a 5 gal pail of paint bounced into the cab and flew out the door. Luckily it didn't spill. That would have been a difficult conversation with the boss if it had.

Back in the days of RPS, I came upon our local driver "Crazy Bruce". He always kept his bulkhead door open and truck running. He was stopped at a green light and couldn't get his truck moving. A package had flown into the cab when he stopped and snapped his stick shift off.

trickpony1

Most feeder drivers are smart enough to slow WWWAAAAYYYY down if the conditions are bad. Apparently some package car drivers aren't as smart.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Doubles are a piece of cake. 2 loads plus the dolly equalling 70,000 pounds or so drives nice n steady while your going sideways in your package car in 3 inches of snow driving 10mph in a residential neighborhood. Been there -done that. In my position we call snow white gold. The slower I drive the more I make. Also at 3 a.m. there is no one on the road to have to worry about just other guys doing the same thing I'm doing.

over9five

Staff member
I keep my bulkhead closed. I learned the hard way when.....

Me too! I was slowing when coming to a stop sign in a P5 when a very heavy 8' tube slid from the top shelf thru the open bulkhead door. Landed square on my foot which was on the brake pedal. Instant lock-up of all 4 tires! Man did that car stop fast! Luckily, no one was behind me.

(Also luckily, I had steel toe boots on!!!!!!!!!!!!)

wornoutupser

my p800 has the new sensors lol; they installed these sensors at what cost (my guess is over 500$ per vehicle) and i dont have power steering, a working heater, or a 3 point seatbelt.

A working heater and defroster is a contract issue. Refuse to drive the vehicle and force UPS to repair it! Good luck on the seat belt......

some1else

A working heater and defroster is a contract issue. Refuse to drive the vehicle and force UPS to repair it! Good luck on the seat belt......

its been writtin up repeatedly; i even photocopied the dvir where a mechanic wrote "this is an old truck; ok to run" !!!! as far as refusing to drive it; there are 5 other 800s that sit every day; i got the "pick of the litter" so i would rather drive mine.

ive also written up the loose steering which they claim is within spec.would having that in the dvir help any in case of an accident; where i could claim that ups refused to repair the truck and that contributed?