New package car questions

upsgrunt

I'm on vacation for the next two weeks and when I get back I get a brand new P7 Workhorse automatic with a V8 gasser. It replaces the P7 straight six stick that has 682,000 miles that is all I have known since I got this rural bid 4 years ago. I'm excited because with the old package car, I'm afraid to pull out into traffic because it takes .8 of a mile to get up to speed and I figure the seals will be better and I will be able to get more heat in the cab this winter.
At least two other Workhorses in our center have had problems with breaking leaf springs. Any other concerns or quirks I should know about?

I may actually be excited about going back to work after vacation- It was supposed to go in the lineup Monday morning, but the mechanic told me he would hold it out till I got back so I could be the first one to "get the seat stinky".

JonFrum

No package car is perfect, but that one comes close. It's very quiet, starts instantly, has quiet warning noises, and accelerates fast (the moment you touch the gas pedal.) Drivers will be shocked to feel the power when accelerating from a dead stop.

wo88upsman

Just got a P10 one this week runs great but terrible fuel mileage. Seat sits close to door and bottom step is almost not there so be careful getting out drivers side until you get used to it

some1else

Banned
Be careful on bumps/dips pulling in and out of driveways the newer workhorses supension likes to wiggle back/forth/back/forth ans is really good at dumping entire shelves of packages on the floor. The older cars stiff supension was actually better on bumps. I just take the dips really slow Anf its alright.

Best part of the 700 workhorses is a 1 gallon jug of water fits perfect between the dash panel and driverside quarter window

upsgrunt

My old P7 suspension was the same as you described and handled bumps like you described, unless, it was fully or overloaded. The more weight, the smoother the ride. The problem with that is the ride gets worse progressively as the day goes on. I'm hoping the suspension on the Workhorse is more evened out and I can get a smoother ride with less of a load.

Big Babooba

This shouldn't be a concern if you are following the methods.
Yes it should be a concern. In our building, the trucks are parked 6 inches or less apart. When you park a P700 with the passenger side next to a P1000 and you can't get in or out of the back, how else do you get in or out? You have to use the driver's door.

Johney

We have a few of these new trucks at our center now and from what I hear the lighting in the cab and back is extremely good.

TheKid

I had a new P7 Workhorse diesel for a while and it was an absolute piece of sh%@. They finally took it away from me when I broke down for the 3rd time in a month.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Yes it should be a concern. In our building, the trucks are parked 6 inches or less apart. When you park a P700 with the passenger side next to a P1000 and you can't get in or out of the back, how else do you get in or out? You have to use the driver's door.

Walk out the back and down the belt until you can safely step down using three points of contact.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I didn't consider that but, for the most part, we shouldn't be using the driver door.

helenofcalifornia

One thing that has happened to a bunch of our new trucks is the exhaust pipe falls off (or disconnects) from the muffler and you are driving a VERY LOUD truck the rest of the day. Easy fix for the mechanic, but he says it's a regular thing that goes wrong.

I didn't consider that but, for the most part, we shouldn't be using the driver door.
I was trained to use the driver side when delivering a single package resi that is on the opposite side of the street. I realize it isn't the correct method .NOW, but as a rookie(and a few years after) I did it all the time.